Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2006, 15:39   #1
BHPian

Difference between Toyota Camry V4 and V6?

Hi all,

I was watching 'Raftar' on NDTV 3 weeks back. Theme was 'Camry vs Accord'.

They told that Toyota is not planning to launch V6 in India as of now and just VVT-i will be on sale. But as per my knowledge V6 was available in India a few weeks back. I saw it in mags and sites. Even Toyota's site was displaying it. And after a month or so all this gone. Everywhere is VVT-i AT and MT!

When last I saw Camry specs, I was taken aback by the chart. It was saying that V4 and V6 had no difference except for the trnsmission. V4 comes with manual while V6 with automatic. I can't believe that a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder engine share the same configuration! Even
no of valves, 16!!! How can a V6 have 16 valves? If my knowledge is right then V6 means 6 cylinders placed in V-configuration.

Now my question is, what does V4 and V6 stand for, don't they depict
cylinder configuration here or they are just fancy names? I am highly confused, please help me resolve!

PS: I wrote a mail to NDTV too. cnb@ndtv.com, no response! and raftar@ndtv.com bounced while Kranti Uday says aloud 'Send us your feedback at raftar@ndtv.com, entire Raftar team awaits your responses!'
Old 11th May 2006, 18:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What rubbish! The Camry is with an inline 4 cylinder engine.

GTO
Old 11th May 2006, 19:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is no V4 engine!! And the 16 valves are not for the V6 but for the I-4.

NEWS channels shud try and stay, as far away as possible, from automobiles.

Shan2nu
Old 11th May 2006, 23:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

If I remember correctly, the Camry was specified as V4 and V6, like Exi and Gxi. I found it odd too...will check old ACI issues and confirm.
Old 12th May 2006, 11:43   #5
BHPian

GTO and Shan,

I too found it very hard to believe. I checked almost every car magazine available in India and found the same. You can confirm it from AutoCar, TopGear, Car India and Overdrive of 2005, any issue! All had written the same V4 and V6!

Being a software engineer, I didn't give up and tried searching in web archives and found Toyota site saying the same. Have a look

http://web.archive.org/web/200411030...mry/specs.html

When I couldn't find any other means, I posted my query here just to confirm it.
Old 12th May 2006, 12:29   #6
BHPian

those are models..........v4 is manual and v6 is auto....both are 4 cyl...for sure
Old 12th May 2006, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diven_b
those are models..........v4 is manual and v6 is auto....both are 4 cyl...for sure
Ok... so you mean to say, V4 and V6 are just names! They have nothing to do with V6 configuration? If yes, I am unable to understand why Toyota had named it in ambigous way? However, Toyota Camry comes with V6 engine too. The 3.0L V6 is not available in India. We had just V6 name!!! :-)
Old 13th May 2006, 10:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
Ok... so you mean to say, V4 and V6 are just names! They have nothing to do with V6 configuration? If yes, I am unable to understand why Toyota had named it in ambigous way? However, Toyota Camry comes with V6 engine too. The 3.0L V6 is not available in India. We had just V6 name!!! :-)
Looks like v6 is just there for a feel good factor. You know to boost your manliness since you are driving a manual
Old 13th May 2006, 10:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Oh my god, you guys!!! V numbers denote the equipment levels, NOT the engine configuration!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of spilling my cup of coffee when I read about Tata Indica V2........
Old 13th May 2006, 14:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

to rest matters, the V4 and V6 have the same engine , which is a 2.4 litre 4 cyl job. The difference is in trim levels. In the older gen camry, the diff was leather trim only. in the new gen u do not get a non leather model so they might have called the manual the v4(tough i doubt very much that a v4 exists int he new gen). in the older gen there was an auto trans only in the last few months before they discontinued the model but the diff was not in auto and manual trans
Old 15th May 2006, 15:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
What rubbish! The Camry is with an inline 4 cylinder engine.
What is this then? Did you mean to say that Camry V6 doesn't come in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
There is no V4 engine!! And the 16 valves are not for the V6 but for the I-4.
Shan2nu, do u mean to say Camry doesn't have a V4 engine or V4 engine doesn't exist at all? I can see V4 engines in a number of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Oh my god, you guys!!! V numbers denote the equipment levels, NOT the engine configuration!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of spilling my cup of coffee when I read about Tata Indica V2........
Well, I couldn't find a single car on net with name V6 and not having a 6-cylinder engine in V configuration. Camry V6 outside India too have a V6 engine!

I was considering Indica V2 as Indica 'Version 2'. Never knew V2 denotes features here. :-)
Old 15th May 2006, 15:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just a note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
Hi all,

I was watching 'Raftar' on NDTV 3 weeks back. Theme was 'Camry vs Accord'.

They told that Toyota is not planning to launch V6 in India as of now and just VVT-i will be on sale. But as per my knowledge V6 was available in India a few weeks back. I saw it in mags and sites. Even Toyota's site was displaying it. And after a month or so all this gone. Everywhere is VVT-i AT and MT!

When last I saw Camry specs, I was taken aback by the chart. It was saying that V4 and V6 had no difference except for the trnsmission. V4 comes with manual while V6 with automatic. I can't believe that a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder engine share the same configuration! Even
no of valves, 16!!! How can a V6 have 16 valves? If my knowledge is right then V6 means 6 cylinders placed in V-configuration.

Now my question is, what does V4 and V6 stand for, don't they depict
cylinder configuration here or they are just fancy names? I am highly confused, please help me resolve!

PS: I wrote a mail to NDTV too. cnb@ndtv.com, no response! and raftar@ndtv.com bounced while Kranti Uday says aloud 'Send us your feedback at raftar@ndtv.com, entire Raftar team awaits your responses!'

Toyota has a weird way of Differentiating their current models. It never means it technically.
Toyota Corolla - H1 / H2 /H3.....
Toyota Camry - V6 / V4
Toyota Innova - G1 / G2 / G3 / G4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks