Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 12:08   #1
BHPian

Is flywheel replacement a must, when getting a new clutch plate?

Dear T-bhpians,

I drive an Accent CRDi that has covered close to 90k !! I am planning to change the timing belt (though it is scheduled for a replacement at 1lakh kms) as the car is 7+ yrs old.

I don't have any issues other than that (touch wood)

I was also contemplating a clutch plate change though I don't see any symptom's of the requirement now.

During the discussion with my favourite Service Advisor he suggested I change the fly wheel too !! And I was

I asked him for the reason and his feedback was it could have also worn out and since we are opening the gear box let's also get that done..

I am not convinced and hence thought I will ask T-bhp for expert advice.

Keep it coming.

TIA

Cheers

Sateesh
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 12:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Is flywheel replacement a must, when getting a new clutch plate?

Normally flywheel replacement is not required. But if the flywheel has also worn out then you may need to replace. The exact condition can be known only after you remove the clutch.

Edit: If there are no issues with the clutch then why are you contemplating a clutch change?
vikram_d is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 12:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

The flywheel is mounted with the gear ring to facilitate cranking by the starter motor. Usually this teeth gets worn out over a period and when the clutch is stripped for maintenance works it is better to replace the whole assembly. This is advisable because the unit comes with dynamic balancing and is hence preferable.
rajeev k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sateesh, I also like to share a similar experience for an i20 one of my relative owns, he had bought a used car from Trident (2010 model, lady driven and 19000km run) and experienced clutch issue within 1 month. When we took it back to Trident with the complaint they changed the clutch plate and charged about INR 6500/-. Even after the replacement the issue did not get fixed and there was always a hard clutch issue. About 5 months back we took the vehicle to Advaith near Graphite India, the SA Siddaramaiah told us ideally flywheel had to be checked first and then they could have replaced the clutch plate. The reason he gave for Trident not doing it is amount of work involved in removing the flywheel and fitting it back. This SA has a good feedback on this forum, anyway the car is due for a service now and my relative is getting this fixed. Rajeev, we got the same input from Siddaramaiah, thanks for sharing you view.

Last edited by deehunk : 16th February 2013 at 12:30. Reason: thank rajeev
Old 16th February 2013, 13:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks deehunk. I also would like to reiterate that if the teeth are not worn out considerably there is no need to change the fly wheel assy. This teeth on the flywheel lasts more than the starter motor teeth which is smaller and with much lesser number of teeth.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 15:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Accent CRDi comes with a conventional single mass flywheel, which can be easily faced and balanced at a good lathe shop, when replacing the clutch. OTOH, AFAIK the i-20 has a dual mass flywheel, which is difficult to balance after facing - hence it is generally recommended that dual mass flywheels be replaced rather than refaced.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 10:10   #7
BHPian

Re: Is flywheel replacement a must, when getting a new clutch plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Normally flywheel replacement is not required. But if the flywheel has also worn out then you may need to replace. The exact condition can be known only after you remove the clutch.

Edit: If there are no issues with the clutch then why are you contemplating a clutch change?
Vikram - Initially I assumed that he was probably setting expectations but when he started saying that it is always at a high temperature and hence would be better to replace it I retorted quickly stating that the folks at Hyundai also probably know that this part constantly works at high temp and hence would have designed appropriately.

I am contemplating a change as some of the first gear starts have become a little slow and hence was contemplating :-) (It comes with a hydraulic clutch too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The flywheel is mounted with the gear ring to facilitate cranking by the starter motor. Usually this teeth gets worn out over a period and when the clutch is stripped for maintenance works it is better to replace the whole assembly. This is advisable because the unit comes with dynamic balancing and is hence preferable.
Thanks Rajeev but as SS-Traveller indicated in his response that my car comes with a single mass fly wheel. And if it isn't worn out I don't see a reason to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Hi Sateesh, I also like to share a similar experience for an i20 one of my relative owns, he had bought a used car from Trident (2010 model, lady driven and 19000km run) and experienced clutch issue within 1 month. When we took it back to Trident with the complaint they changed the clutch plate and charged about INR 6500/-. Even after the replacement the issue did not get fixed and there was always a hard clutch issue. About 5 months back we took the vehicle to Advaith near Graphite India, the SA Siddaramaiah told us ideally flywheel had to be checked first and then they could have replaced the clutch plate. The reason he gave for Trident not doing it is amount of work involved in removing the flywheel and fitting it back. This SA has a good feedback on this forum, anyway the car is due for a service now and my relative is getting this fixed. Rajeev, we got the same input from Siddaramaiah, thanks for sharing you view.
Deehunk - Thanks a bunch for sharing your experience. i20 and Accent CRDi are probably as different as chalk and cheese. i20 is much more modern (right from CRDi pump, PWM injection etc) compared to Accent CRDi. I am going to look at the fly wheel when I am planning to change the clutch plate and decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Accent CRDi comes with a conventional single mass flywheel, which can be easily faced and balanced at a good lathe shop, when replacing the clutch. OTOH, AFAIK the i-20 has a dual mass flywheel, which is difficult to balance after facing - hence it is generally recommended that dual mass flywheels be replaced rather than refaced.
Thanks a lot for your feedback Shome. You have been of great help as always as in the past. Will inspect and decide on the course of action.

Thanks a bunch folks

Cheers
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:34   #8
BHPian

Guys, My Baleno has done 1.06 lac Kms and the cluthch is quite stiff now. The last clutch plate change was carried out around 50 k. I don't remember whether the fly wheel was changed. Apart from stiff clutch leading to knee pain, the clutch engagement seems to be fine. I am contemplating a clutch change for comfortable driving.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by MADMAX111 : 23rd February 2013 at 11:35.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Guys, My Baleno has done 1.06 lac Kms and the clutch is quite stiff now. The last clutch plate change was carried out around 50 k. I don't remember whether the fly wheel was changed. Apart from stiff clutch leading to knee pain, the clutch engagement seems to be fine. I am contemplating a clutch change for comfortable driving.

Thanks
Madmax, I think you need to check the clutch cable and maybe get that replaced, if the baleno comes with a hydraulic clutch then the hydraulic system would need some scrutiny.
Generally clutch plates last longer in petrol cars and 56k os like 70% of the clutch lifespan, i guess you have some more mileage left in the clutch.
Since you do not have any problems in shifting gears, and the engagement and disengagement of the clutch seems fine, before you spend any large amounts of money, the clutch activation system (cable or hydraulics) is worth a look at.
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Thanks, but I have changed the clutch cable a while back. It did make some difference but the clutch is still hard.
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The last clutch plate change was carried out around 50 k.
If the cable is fine, a hard clutch is commonly due to the pressure plate. Was the pressure plate replaced with an OE plate at the last clutch overhaul? Non-OE plates tend to become hard more quickly than OE ones.
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I have changed the clutch cable a while back. It did make some difference but the clutch is still hard.
In all probability the pressure plates need a change. OE one is the preferred choice without a doubt.
I had an experience when a Maruti dealership changed the plate and still was very hard and it was replaced by them again and became absolutely perfect. Though I had a doubt on the OE claim by them being a true value prepurchase work, the SA clarified that they had many such experience with OE clutch pressure plates.
Old 24th February 2013, 10:52   #13
BHPian

@madmax, I concur with SS traveller and Rajeev K, the culprit must surely be the pressure plate.. but while going for a replacement its best you go in and replace the full assembly, clutch plate and pressure plate, release bearing the whole lot. All these parts work synchronized while the clutch is being operated and once they are replaced together you'll have peace of mind regarding the clutch side for another 70k kms.
Old 24th February 2013, 18:05   #14
BHPian

As far as I know, the fly wheel need replacement only when the plunger in your starter motor goes for a toss and damages the flywheel. Quite unheard of since the marutiS days. Pretty common with Ambys. Taxi wallah would flip the fly wheel and run about 10k at the least in those days.

With clutch, always change release bearing. i would usually change the whole assembly. Pressure plate, clutch and release bearing.
Old 24th February 2013, 20:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
With clutch, always change release bearing. i would usually change the whole assembly. Pressure plate, clutch and release bearing.
I agree, change the lot, pressur plate, clutch and release bearing.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks