Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2018, 14:20   #256
BHPian

I am facing vibration issues on my Storme VX from day 1. At 40-50 kmph the left front side vibrates and wobble. It is felt on steering wheel as well as body. Earlier it was found that there is a slight bend in alloy wheel and it was replaced but the problem is still there. When the wheel is put on rear then also the vibration from front does not totally diminish but also starts from rear. Can anyone suggest what to get checked as TASS are not able to give a solution.
Old 16th April 2018, 15:19   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Can anyone suggest what to get checked as TASS are not able to give a solution.
Swap the tires and check once. It could also be a case of uneven surface wear that is causing a low speed wobble.

Best is to visit ASC, ask them to put 4 wheels (Tires and rims) of another Storme and you do a TD to ascertain if issue persists. This will exactly help you rule out anything to do with wheels if issue persists despite of the swap.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th April 2018 at 15:36.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 15:40   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
I am facing vibration issues on my Storme VX from day 1. At 40-50 kmph the left front side vibrates and wobble. It is felt on steering wheel as well as body. Earlier it was found that there is a slight bend in alloy wheel and it was replaced but the problem is still there. When the wheel is put on rear then also the vibration from front does not totally diminish but also starts from rear. Can anyone suggest what to get checked as TASS are not able to give a solution.
As the woble moves with the wheel being moved the suggestion is that there is still something wrong with that rim/tyre. But even so, the problems remain at the front. So likely something else is going on as well.

As suggested try and eliminate the wheels/tyres as being the issues all together before moving on. If it's not the wheels/tyre you need to start looking at the suspension/steering to check whether anything is loose. Sometimes alignement out of whack can cause vibration as well. Same for bearings, but you can should/check those when the suspension and steering is checked for play as well.

If you are driving at a steady speed and push the accelerator to the floor does the vibration become worse/less or stays about the same?

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 18:19   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Best is to visit ASC, ask them to put 4 wheels (Tires and rims) of another Storme and you do a TD to ascertain if issue persists. This will exactly help you rule out anything to do with wheels if issue persists despite of the swap.
I will try this as it will make sure that is it wheel or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As the woble moves with the wheel being moved the suggestion is that there is still something wrong with that rim/tyre. But even so, the problems remain at the front. So likely something else is going on as well.

As suggested try and eliminate the wheels/tyres as being the issues all together before moving on. If it's not the wheels/tyre you need to start looking at the suspension/steering to check whether anything is loose. Sometimes alignement out of whack can cause vibration as well. Same for bearings, but you can should/check those when the suspension and steering is checked for play as well.

If you are driving at a steady speed and push the accelerator to the floor does the vibration become worse/less or stays about the same?

Good luck

Jeroen
I got my alloy replaced under warranty as it was a little bend and it was found on the balancing machine. As my car has done only 4500 kms, chaces of something wearing out would be less but as you suggested to get steering and suspension inspected, I will do the same and also try hard accelerating. But the wobble is only between 40-50 kmph.
I will update on the issue.
Old 7th June 2018, 00:57   #260
BHPian

Hi Folks,

My 15K run Alto k10 judders for 2-3 seconds when I am about to halt with the clutch depressed. This is more pronounced with the AC on. After that mild vibrations can be felt. Can anyone throw some light on this? MASS suggested a clutch overhaul. A clutch overhaul at 15K seems very very early. Anyone experienced similar issue?

Regards,
Shreyan
Old 19th June 2018, 17:36   #261
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends
Have found a peculiar problem in my Fortuner. While going over rough patch of road or bumps, I see that the steering turns left to right and right to left. This I feel is unusual since I have not experienced this amount of turns earlier.

Request you guys to suggest what could be the problem? Is it major or minor? Is it common that appears after certain duration or happens only when something seriously gone wrong?

Please reply
EDIT: There is absolutely no issue when vehicle goes in straight line at whatever speed OR while turning to left or right. The issue is only when car travels at low speed such as 10 kmph ON series of humps laid on NH.

Last edited by gkveda : 19th June 2018 at 17:39.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:50   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Hi Friends
Have found a peculiar problem in my Fortuner. While going over rough patch of road or bumps, I see that the steering turns left to right and right to left. This I feel is unusual since I have not experienced this amount of turns earlier.

Request you guys to suggest what could be the problem? Is it major or minor? Is it common that appears after certain duration or happens only when something seriously gone wrong?

Please reply
EDIT: There is absolutely no issue when vehicle goes in straight line at whatever speed OR while turning to left or right. The issue is only when car travels at low speed such as 10 kmph ON series of humps laid on NH.
Popping up the question again since there is no response.

Experts, Please help identify the issue. Last week, I had been to check with Madhus on wheel alignment. THere was no issue.

I repeat the question. When the car goes on rough patches (Very low speeds - Like going on series of humps at a stretch ), there is a slight left to right and right to left movement of steering wheel. I feel the steering is getting input from the wheels. What could be the issue? What should be looked at.
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:14   #263
Senior - BHPian

What you are expressing is known as bump steer and is quite common I would not be too worried about it, but here is an article detailing everything you might need to know about this phenomenon and the possible fixes: http://www.longacreracing.com/techni...aspx?item=8162
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:56   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I repeat the question. When the car goes on rough patches (Very low speeds - Like going on series of humps at a stretch ), there is a slight left to right and right to left movement of steering wheel. I feel the steering is getting input from the wheels. What could be the issue? What should be looked at.
This is not an alignment issue. Some movement of the steering is normal when going over rough roads. But if you feel it is excessive get the car's tie rods, bushes and other suspension components checked either during the next service or even earlier if you want to have it checked ASAP.

I suggest this be checked by a Toyota ASC but get an appointment before you go so they can attend to your complaint.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:21   #265
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

The power steering of our 1 year old Hyundai Eon has been troublesome for a long time now.

When the steering is turned slightly to the right say for a lane change, it pulls back to the left side. The issue isn't prominent if one keeps a firm hand at the steering at all times. The issue occurs only when turning to the right side, irrespective of the speed and road condition. One can also see the pulling effect when the car is stationary with engine on.

I had a scary encounter day before when I was going through a sweeping right curve on a paved highway. I tried to correct the car's path as it was inching close to a biker on the outer side of the curve. I left the steering for a short moment and boom, the car pulled back to the other side almost ending up in the biker's lane.

Effectively I turned the steering 20 degrees to the right, it jumped back and ended up pointing almost 40 degrees to the left.

The same road has a long left curve a few metres ahead and when I turned the steering 20 degrees to the left, it remained at the position even without holding it.

Service centre folks have been unable to figure out the issue. They seem competent enough but short of time to do a thorough check. Every time, they would either confuse the problem with the steering's vagueness at the centre position or return the car after alignment and balancing.

The car has done 12k kms. I don't want to take a chance with roadside mechs as the car is fairly new and trouble-free otherwise. Can someone suggest what could be causing this issue? Most likely it has to be some steering component.

Last edited by self_driven : 19th December 2018 at 10:23.
Old 19th December 2018, 12:16   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hi guys,

The power steering of our 1 year old Hyundai Eon has been troublesome for a long time now.

When the steering is turned slightly to the right say for a lane change, it pulls back to the left side.
Does the car track straight on a flat highway?

Expecting tyre pressures in all 4 corners to be normal. Is there any feathering of the tyre treads (oblique/uneven wear pattern)? Did you try swapping the tyres on the front axle?

When was the last wheel alignment procedure done?
Old 19th December 2018, 12:33   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Does the car track straight on a flat highway?
Yes. Absolutely straight when the steering is at centre.

Quote:
Is there any feathering of the tyre treads (oblique/uneven wear pattern)?
No. Uniform wear all across.

Quote:
Did you try swapping the tyres on the front axle?
Tyre rotation was done at 10k kms. Not sure about left and right but front and rear tyres were swapped. I follow 4 tyre rotation.

Quote:
When was the last wheel alignment procedure done?
It was some 3000 kms back in October.

Last edited by self_driven : 19th December 2018 at 12:35.
Old 19th December 2018, 14:09   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This car has an electric power steering, I believe? You need to check the connections and wiring of the EPS motor for a short circuit or bad connection.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:30   #269
BHPian

I am facing persistent vibration issues on my 3rd Gen Honda City V AT since the last few months and becoming clueless with each passing day. Initially suspected it to be due to bent alloys and bad tyres. I got couple of bent rims straightened and replaced all 4 tyres with brand new Michelin XM2s. For the next 100-200 kms, things were smooth after which the vibrations slowly crept again. I swapped tyre of one of the alloys with the spare steel rim and the difference was noticeable however I did not persist with that arrangement for long after I was assured that the bent rim has been repaired and it was rotating fine on the wheel balancing machine. The vibrations always occur from the rear and the front two wheels feel firm and planted at all times.

I got it checked with Honda ASS and they don't acknowledge any vibrations whatsoever, same with 2 tyre shops whom I approached. During all this while I have checked wheel balancing and wheel alignment at least 4 times and it all seems okay there.

Could this be due the bent alloys or could this be a suspension or axle issue? What would be the best way to diagnose the rear end of the car completely?
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:00   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
I am facing persistent vibration issues on my 3rd Gen Honda City V AT...
The vibrations always occur from the rear...
Are you getting the rear wheel alignment checked? Is there any uneven tyre wear of the rear tyres?
Quote:
Any update?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks