Team-BHP - Installing roof racks without factory roof railings
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Installing roof racks without factory roof railings (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/133072-installing-roof-racks-without-factory-roof-railings.html)

When I bought my Beat, I did not opt for the LT version, so I do not have factory fitted roof railings. However, I'd like to carry a roof rack on my car for airports runs and long distance travel. Is it possible to have roof racks fitted on a naked roof?

And if I do have to get roof railings fit, what's the best way to do so without damage to the car's body?

Installing roof racks without factory roof railings-img_0413.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellmet (Post 3052040)
Is it possible to have roof racks fitted on a naked roof?

The roof rails provided on LT version are not designed for fitting the roof racks but it is only for aesthetic factor. The roof rails are fixed to the top by 3M adhesive tape and do not have load bearing capacity. The roof rack can be fitted as after market fitment with some amount of drilling for putting the screws, but it may not go well with the car.

If you really cannot do without one, look for a quality aftermarket rack with the adjustable 'feet' that sit on the roof but with a clamp that extends down between the top of the door frame and the body. These can be adjusted and tightened as per the car dimensions etc.

But not recommended for long-term fitment (rusting/scratching of specific areas) and unsure of real load-carrying ability.

If you have the budget, go for Thule - excellent stuff but very expensive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deehunk (Post 3052315)
The roof rails provided on LT version are not designed for fitting the roof racks but it is only for aesthetic factor. The roof rails are fixed to the top by 3M adhesive tape and do not have load bearing capacity. The roof rack can be fitted as after market fitment with some amount of drilling for putting the screws, but it may not go well with the car.

Oh !! I had no idea. They look horrible anyway. What I really am looking at is to have after-market roof railings installed professionally, and then purchase a roof rack for those times when I need additional carrying capacity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 3052643)
If you really cannot do without one, look for a quality aftermarket rack with the adjustable 'feet' that sit on the roof but with a clamp that extends down between the top of the door frame and the body. These can be adjusted and tightened as per the car dimensions etc.

But not recommended for long-term fitment (rusting/scratching of specific areas) and unsure of real load-carrying ability.

If you have the budget, go for Thule - excellent stuff but very expensive!

Can these feet fit any car? The pictures I see of them on Thule's website look like they fit to the rainwater catchment area of the door. I only intend to use the rack occasionally so I wouldn't worry much about scratches. I'd surely invest in something of good quality.

Thank you guys for your inputs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deehunk (Post 3052315)

When we were about to book a Beat way back in 2010, I remember the SA told me that the roof rails which come factory fitted on the LT are fixed with screws drilled in the roof.
He said if we buy an LS and wish to install the roof rails either aftermarket or from the showroom as an accessory then it would be stuck with adhesive tape.

I was also told same thing when I bought my Spark by SA, later seeing the roof rails coming off the top on some LT versions realised that they had a limited life even if it is factory fitted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellmet (Post 3052040)
When I bought my Beat, I did not opt for the LT version, so I do not have factory fitted roof railings. However, I'd like to carry a roof rack on my car for airports runs and long distance travel. Is it possible to have roof racks fitted on a naked roof?

And if I do have to get roof railings fit, what's the best way to do so without damage to the car's body?

Attachment 1056312

It is very much possible to have a roof rack fitted without damaging your car. For example, check out the Ajanta racks here http://www.ajantaautoacc.com/carriers.html.

Ajanta is a brand in Mumbai and do not know if it will be available in Hyderabad. But there must be a lot of them easily available out there in the after-market including Classique etc. They do not need drilling etc but are fitted using tighteners only as you see in the pic above. However, I find the quality of Ajanta here top-notch, best suited for cars and long lasting.

Are these removable and attachable as when possible? I wouldn't want them on my car at all times, if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellmet (Post 3055767)
Are these removable and attachable as when possible? I wouldn't want them on my car at all times, if possible.

Absolutely, that is the intention, no screwing on the the car at all. You just take them off when you don't want on regular daily ride to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsh (Post 3055726)
It is very much possible to have a roof rack fitted without damaging your car. For example, check out the Ajanta racks here http://www.ajantaautoacc.com/carriers.html.

This suits the purpose perfectly. Also, Ajanta is available at all cities including CCU, GGN and BLR and hence should be easily available at Hyd too.

Let me know in case you want me to pack one of these on a Volvo and send it across from here.

OT: I do not run an auto accessory shop.:D

If not available around and looking to source it, you could even speak to the proprietor Mr. Rakesh Mestry (mobile no 9820083089, it should be there on their site also) on fitment for Beat and how to source it. I had talked to him in past and he was very helpful and suggestive even for small things like the rubber ends for the front and rear guards for their guards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsh (Post 3056116)
If not available around and looking to source it, you could even speak to the proprietor Mr. Rakesh Mestry (mobile no 9820083089, it should be there on their site also) on fitment for Beat and how to source it.

Have dropped them an email - not sure how frequently they clear the inbox, but does anyone know if the roof carrier fits on an innova?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joybhowmik (Post 3056508)
Have dropped them an email - not sure how frequently they clear the inbox, but does anyone know if the roof carrier fits on an innova?

Oh yes, it does. They have very good ones for Innova as I have seen. I would suggest you rather call him. I don't think they are directly available in Delhi. They may be able to transport you one though.

Also, I do not have any commercial interest in this company. I use their guards and side steps on my Innova, been 7.5 yrs and still going strong.

You guys may want to checkout such an installation on an Ertiga from our own forum, though it is for Thule box. It is quite similar just to give an idea of actual fitting.