Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 14:24   #1
r8d
BHPian

Mitsubishi Outlander : Multiple warnings for ABS, 4WD Lock etc.

Hi Everybody,

Just bought a January 2009 registered, Used Black MITSUBISHI Outlander, 65000km done.

Service history shows all services were done, right up to 60,000km at the same MITSUBISHI Service Centre (Kalina, Santa Cruz(E), Mumbai). Have had it for about 2 months and all was good, until 3 days ago, when I started my car and the ABS warning light comes on, along with the 4WD Lock warning light as well.

This happened for 2 days in a row, and then suddenly went off, before reappearing after a day.

Now all the lights stay on, and sometimes when I'm driving, even at 10 km/hr the warning light goes off, saying, DRIVE SLOW.

Wanted to know how bad is this? Is it just a sensor problem or is this really serious.

Should I go to the MITSUBISHI Service Centre? How is the MITSUBISHI A.S.S. here in Kalina, Santa Cruz(E) Mumbai?
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Outlander : Multiple warnings for ABS, 4WD Lock etc.-img_3322.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2013 at 18:03. Reason: Paragraph spacing for better readability
Old 8th March 2013, 18:05   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander : Multiple warnings for ABS, 4WD Lock etc.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Section.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It's possibly a wiring/sensor issue.

Happened on my Tucson in the past.
Here is the post with the details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1400536

Yes, I would say get it fixed soon and from the service center itself. If it's wiring, then that's good. If it's the sensor, it should not be prohibitively expensive. The one for the Tucson was around 4k.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 8th March 2013 at 18:16.
Old 8th March 2013, 19:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8d View Post
...ABS warning light comes on, along with the 4WD Lock warning light as well.
Wanted to know how bad is this? Is it just a sensor problem or is this really serious.
Should I go to the MITSUBISHI Service Centre?
Any of these lights tell you that the ECM has stored an error code, and an OBD scan is required to find out what's wrong. It would not be possible for anyone to tell how bad it is unless further investigations are done. It's like asking your doctor on the email, I have a 100*F fever. Do I just have the flu, or is it AIDS?
Quote:
How is the MITSUBISHI A.S.S. here in Kalina, Santa Cruz(E) Mumbai?
I guess that is best answered by Mitsu owners in Mumbai.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 18:38   #5
r8d
BHPian

so just got my appointment at the mitsubishi service center, keeping my fingers crossed, and will let you'll know what the outcome is.
Old 21st March 2013, 17:14   #6
r8d
BHPian

So I went today to the Mitsubishi service center. The technicians there all told me that this ABS warning problem was a common one that outlanders faced and It was probably a dirty sensor. They plugged in their MUT and did an error code check and then reset it.
Have left the car with them for general servicing, Will pick it up tomorrow. According to one of the technicians, normally when this happens, if the cleaning doesn't help, then we will have to replace the sensor, which is Rs.18,000/- for one. Hope that doesn't happen.
Old 21st March 2013, 19:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if the cleaning doesn't help, then we will have to replace the sensor, which is Rs.18,000/- for one. Hope that doesn't happen.
Hmmm, quite expensive compared to the Tucson's which costed around 4k...
BTW, what's the warranty on the replacement parts they offer? Hyundai offers 6 months whereas Skoda offers 2 years.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:41   #8
r8d
BHPian

10 days later. same problem again. Should i go back to Mitsubishi and change the sensor? or should i go to an outside garage and get it done there?
Old 1st April 2013, 13:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
10 days later. same problem again. Should i go back to Mitsubishi and change the sensor? or should i go to an outside garage and get it done there?
If your car is out of warranty (I guess it must be) then I suggest an outside workshop for getting the work done. You can even see if the part is available online, which might turn out to be cheaper even with shipping and customs.

In any case try contacting Patel Auto garage in Goregaon, I have heard good things about them. I have no personal experience with them though.
Old 1st April 2013, 14:17   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Try getting the sensor cleaned once more and if it reoccurs, then get an outside garage to replace it. The correct garage should be able to give you a decent cost saving on the job.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You did not mention what actually was done so that the problem did not show up for 10 days. Do you have any pictures? Did you try another sensor (may be another outlander)? How is the sensor cleaned?
Old 15th July 2013, 19:59   #12
r8d
BHPian

hello,
sorry its been so long since i've posted, been busy at work.
so here's the update. Went to another mechanic that handles a lot of imports and he reset the warning, it stayed on for 2 days then when i was out of town for 4 days came back and it was fine, no warning nothing.
couldnt believe it, drove the car really gently, prayed everytime i started it, and nothing no warning;-)
All was good, until a couple of weeks ago, my driver crashed into a BEST while trying to overtake it on Carter Road, smashed the front left panel and bent the front door.
Been running everywhere trying to find the panel and in the middle of all of it, the ABS warning has come on again. Along with the engine light.
Guess this time i should just get the sensor changed.
Does anyone know someone reliable i can buy Mitsubishi parts from?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 20th May 2014, 13:22   #13

Hi,
It seems that you have had a rather harrowing time with your Outlander, or maybe the telescoping of timelines, makes it feel that way. Notwithstanding the sensor issues, would you advice me to buy a used Outlander of say 2010 vintage? I really really like the car, a used one kinda falls in my budget as well, but the forum feedback is not very encouraging on many fronts, but I still cannot let it go. Could you please advice?
Old 20th May 2014, 15:04   #14
r8d
BHPian

Hi Saran,
I bought my car over a year ago second hand, and honestly its really annoying to not have easy access to parts, and mitsubishi in India is really crap at servicing the outlander, and the car does have its eccentricities like the ABS sensor, but i really love my car, its so much fun to drive, its comfortable, its quick, its got most of the amenities you'd need in a car, its jut a car you have to love to own. If you have any issues about the cost of petrol and how much petrol a car uses then definitely don't buy an outlander. coz it is a 2.4 litre petrol and its a big car too. But beyond that car's lots of fun and really comfortable, i've done a straight 10 hour drive from goa to bombay & gone straight into a meeting and worked an entire day, without feeling tired at all.
So yeah you gotta love enough to own it and deal with its issues, research a lot online to see how people deal with their problems and get a good mechanic to do all the small work coz mitsubishi gets expensive.
r8d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 13:19   #15

Hi r8d,

How is your Outlander doing? How many kms have you done on it? Have you faced any issues except for the sensors? I've heard that the CVT is very sensitive in the Outlander?

I am planning to buy a used one but Mitsubishi's service cost are too high.First job is to search for a competent mechanic for these kinda cars in Delhi!

Most Viewed