Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 22:30   #16
BANNED

It should be approx same, I mean the turbo rpm. how are you going to meausure turbo rpm, its likely to be spining at around 70k -75k , on full load.
However there can be large variation in turbo speed according to load on engine, throttle pedal position and all other stupid things.
Engine rpm will be same for all verna s with manual gearbox at 80, 60 or whatever speed. Condition of turbo will not make difference to engine rpm. Just that turbo condition will dictate how long the car takes to get to 80kmph.

Last edited by dustom_99 : 27th March 2013 at 22:49. Reason: addition
Old 27th March 2013, 22:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: 80K run Verna VGT. Turbo working or not?

I definitely think there is an issue with the Variable geometry turbo on your Verna, after crossing 2000 RPM Verna is an absolute torque monster, i drive one
You mentioned single owner, then i suggest you goto the service center and ask them for the whole service history. When i go to service my car, service adviser normally has full history of my car. You may get an idea if some issues relating to turbo are there.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

That brings me to the question - What exactly happens on a turbo failure? Does the car limp forward or does it come to a complete stand still? Somebody who has experienced this can shed light.
I had driven a Octavia before and after turbo failure. Without turbo, there is no acceleration. You stand on the accelerator pedal, the response is simply not there, the car just potters along. The point in the tacho where the turbo kicks in, you would get a nice surge of power which will be missing if turbo fails. The car doesnt come to a standstill.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 13:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
It should be approx same, I mean the turbo rpm. how are you going to meausure turbo rpm, its likely to be spining at around 70k -75k , on full load.
However there can be large variation in turbo speed according to load on engine, throttle pedal position and all other stupid things.
Engine rpm will be same for all verna s with manual gearbox at 80, 60 or whatever speed. Condition of turbo will not make difference to engine rpm. Just that turbo condition will dictate how long the car takes to get to 80kmph.
So if the turbo is not working as expected would it not reduce the torque / power for a given RPM?
Old 29th March 2013, 13:47   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post

So if the turbo is not working as expected would it not reduce the torque / power for a given RPM?
It would, that is why I said , car with bad turbo will take longer time to get to 80. But once the car is on 80kmph, its engine rpm will be same as any other verna.
Old 30th March 2013, 01:55   #21
BANNED

Hey Dicor99,

Waiting for an update from your side. Did you take the car to A.S.S for checking of the turbo plumbing, intercooler and EGR cleaning?

Ask your A.S.S to show the cars service history in case you don't have it to find for any abnormalities regarding the turbo.

Anurag.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor99 View Post
Yes the vehicle has been impeccably maintained both cosmetically and mechanically, it belonged to one my dad's friend's with a complete service record upto 80K. But I'm really getting worried about this now , and Hyundai ASS at Kollam ,Kerala has absolutely declined the existence of 'any' device that specifically checks the turbo boost. I am at loss of words and I am surely beginning to miss my josh machine Please give me some more info about this "OBD" scanner.

Also I have read somewhere that EGR cleaning often helps with the pickup. I'm not sure if this is relevant question . Please forgive my ignorance since I am only a college student...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Did you try out my suggestion that i posted earlier?.
First check the complete service history of the vehicle to see if the EGR,intercooler cleaning or anything related to turbo like pipes and hoses have been replaced . If they have then post the details of the same

If the above mentioned ones are not present in the service history then i strongly suggest you get the EGR cleaned thoroughly, clean the inter-cooler and replace the turbo hoses and put in fresh engine oil and a clean or new air filter! Because since the car is 80K old , these things are mandatory at around 50K.

A small hunch- Ensure that you have a clean air filter. Then remove the diesel cap and close the fuel lid.Keep the cap in the boot so that you don't lose it.Now run the car and see if you can see any noticeable difference. Because one of the members was facing the loss of turbo kick on his SX4 DDiS and it turned out to be a vapor lock in the fuel tank!

About OBD scanners-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-cars-32.html

But don't worry about procuring the OBD scanners right now. They also wont be able to display boost and all!Do the "hunch" part above and let me know if it helped a bit

I stand corrected. The "Torque" app along with the OBD 2 dongle does display the boost. Sorry for the mis-information

You can order one online on DX or ALI-EXPRESS for 10-15$ and use it to measure the boost in your car. But then you should have a proper verna to compare it with.

How about asking the service center to do a back to back drive on your verna and note down the bost readings at different RPM's in different gears and then do a TD of another verna that has proper turbo kick and compare the difference?
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:29   #23

Dear friends and auto-gurus We had gone on a small trip over the past few days approximately 200kms, and here are my observations the car seems to have almost no tug from the engine in 5th gear, and only very very nominal pull in 4th gear too. I was expecting the 235Nm engine to allow me to accelerate cleanly from 40kmph to 80kmph in 4th gear but even when I floor the pedal progress is very very slow. Also couple of times I had to downshift from 5th to 3rd for an overtake at around 70-80kmph. However my dad refuses to acknowledge the fact that the verna feels slower to accelerate to 80 and above than our ikon tdci. We could achieve only a average of 14-15kmpl throughout the trip, gurus please comment on this too.
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:23   #24
BANNED

Inspect the Engine underside, There are Intercooler ducts running around just behind/below condenser. There is usually a plastic under body cover sort of panel below the engine sump. You will have to remove it.
Half of the duct is rubber , other half is aluminium.
May be the aluminium portion has a big dent on it, It usually touches ground as it is slightly below oil pan level.
Old 7th April 2013, 20:41   #25

hello guys,

Its time that I put-up an update about the "problems" I have encountered with my car .

We visited the the Hyundai ASS in Kollam, Kerala yesterday and the SE there Mr Dileep was extremely helpful. I presented the problem to him about the "inadequate" power of the 110 BHP verna. He immediately brought up the service history and underlined the fact that the previous owner had spared on expense at all on the maintenance of the vehicle. He offered to take a test drive and as we were climbing up the steep embankment from the showroom to the highway he immediately said the clutch was nearing its end of life at 83K and 4 years and is due for a replacement at the next service. I was immediately impressed , he too acknowledged the "slight" lack of pull from the motor and promised visible and strong improvements in performance post the clutch change. He then proceeded to unleash the 110 horses of the car quite to my amusement and to the dismay of my dad who was in the back seat. We were soon doin 110-120 at around 2k rpm. As it turns out the problem was that i was upshifting too soon used to the tdci motor and that was why i was feeling the massive lag in response time . And as the rest of the world says in the right gear and the right rpm the verna is a TORQUE monster.

I stand in awe... silenced cheers!
Old 7th April 2013, 21:16   #26

This is how my queen looks, and as the SE said "she's like wine, she only becomes better with age" so at 83 K and 4 years I hope she will be happy in her new home that we have brought her to. Looking forward to millions of kms and journeys together. I j make a solemn promise now, baby I will never ever let you down.

My life, my love , my queen
Attached Thumbnails
80K run Verna VGT. Turbo working or not?-photo0097-2_640x480.jpg  

Old 5th September 2015, 08:22   #27
BHPian

Good to know that you could have your problem solved easily. I too had the problem of early upshift when i changed from i10 to Verna. Anyways , How is your queen doing now?
Thanks

Most Viewed