Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 12:50   #1

1 month old VW Jetta & Burning smell : Dealer says pay up for a new clutch!

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Bought a Jetta TDI Comfortline from PPS Motors, Hyderabad about 4 weeks ago. There's been a burning smell in the hood from week 1 onwards. I carted the vehicle to the service centre, and left it overnight. They came back saying there is no problem at all. Got the vehicle back home but the smell remained. Took it back to the service centre and insisted they check things thoroughly. They kept the vehicle for 5 days and finally got back saying clutch needs to be replaced and I need to pay for it!!

The car still has a temporary registration and has not even done 700 kms. I have been the only person driving the vehicle and have been driving more expensive manuals for 15+ years.

Completely gutted by VWs response to this....and after paying so much

And now they say I have to wait 10 - 15 days before I can see my car again!!
Attached Thumbnails
1 month old VW Jetta & Burning smell : Dealer says pay up for a new clutch!-image3440404892.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2013 at 20:51. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 27th March 2013, 13:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilD View Post
They kept the vehicle for 5 days....and finally got back saying clutch needs to be replaced and I need to pay for it!!
But why they're saying this? What's their alibi?
I would like to believe that you are not the one who rides clutch. That well could be their excuse to ask for payment.
Old 27th March 2013, 13:05   #3

They kept the vehicle for 5 days saying they were checking with VW if it will be covered in warranty...and that their internal process takes so long....
Old 27th March 2013, 13:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilD View Post
They kept the vehicle for 5 days saying they were checking with VW if it will be covered in warranty...and that their internal process takes so long....
I'm sorry but I'm not getting this at all.
Why should service center take five days time to check with VW? What exactly is the reason for clutch damage?
Old 27th March 2013, 13:32   #5

The service guys say the clutch is completely worn out. I find that hard to believe cos the vehicle has done about 650km in total and I have been the only person driving it.

I took the car to the service centre on Friday, they were apparently waiting till yesterday for VW to get back about warranty coverage.

And the inconsistent messages I ve received over the last 6 days have just been crazy totally unexpected from VW.

From when I will receive the car back to warranty coverage to part availability have been made to hear all kinds of versions.

At my wits end managing this ordeal.
Old 27th March 2013, 13:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The warranty approval process in VW/Skoda is painfully slow. The compressor warranty approval for my Laura took ages, even after that the dealer was offering partial coverage, after lots of calls and mails they agreed to settle for a lower amount, and this was when my car was covered under warranty.

They do make some excellent cars, but the service support is bottom rate. I wish you good luck if you do not have a back up car.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 13:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

I do believe that VW give a limited warranty for wear and tear parts for about 6000km
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 08:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

They can't possibly claim that you wore out the clutch in just 600 kms, even if you have faulty driving habits. This is insane. Do not pay them a penny. Also do check with Wildon as to what is your car's details. May be they passed an old car to you or something?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 10:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
They can't possibly claim that you wore out the clutch in just 600 kms, even if you have faulty driving habits. This is insane. Do not pay them a penny. Also do check with Wildon as to what is your car's details. May be they passed an old car to you or something?
Riding on the clutch can lead to Clutch failure within 100 kms. There are many such cases of clutch failure within 100 km because of riding the clutch. For a newbee to driving such clutch failures are normal.
Old 28th March 2013, 12:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Riding on the clutch can lead to Clutch failure within 100 kms. There are many such cases of clutch failure within 100 km because of riding the clutch. For a newbee to driving such clutch failures are normal.
But then how do you conclude that its a manufacturing default? There is no way to prove if the user is at fault or not. The company would always wash its hands off the incident.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wondering if its just a clutch issue or the flywheel issue. I have this strange feeling that the issue was with Flywheel and that in turn burned the clutch with no fault of yours. They secretly replaced the fly wheel probably under your warranty or from another car there and now asking money from you for replacing clutch.

Fact is one can burn the clutch withing 5 kms. There is no right way to prove if you did it or its a manufacturing defect.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 21:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

VW/Skoda gives 6 month/10000km warranty on wearable parts like the clutch also. But this definitely seems like a manufacturing defect.
Old 29th March 2013, 08:28   #13

I have been driving manuals for more than 15 years...and several German nameplates with dry clutches...to be told that riding the clutch can do this...and within 700 Kms...is very difficult to believe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
VW/Skoda gives 6 month/10000km warranty on wearable parts like the clutch also. But this definitely seems like a manufacturing defect.
Really hope I can get some recourse here....this has been such an ordeal....seems like the car has been in the service centre more than at home since I bought it....and now they say they don't have the parts and will have the car back only by the 9th

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Also, Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th March 2013 at 13:40.
Old 29th March 2013, 20:52   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1 month old VW Jetta & Burning smell : Dealer says pay up for a new clutch!

Mod Note : Moved out posts from the Jetta review into a new, independent thread.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 21:56   #15
BANNED

Re: 1 month old VW Jetta & Burning smell : Dealer says pay up for a new clutch!

I would just like to add if oil is leaking thru seal on gear box side to the clutch plates it can also cause burning smell or clutch plate wear out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks