Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 12:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Do I need to change the head gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
When the engine is sufficiently cooled (for safety), open the radiator cap and look for oil traces.
Oil in coolant is definitely an issue. But if there is no ingress of coolant in engine oil, ascertained by signs of foam, the present stage is not very serious and attending the same would be a lot cheaper. Perhaps a conked head gasket need to be replaced.

Taking the car toa MASS is fine but be beware, they may try to squeeze you by forcing you to get a lot of work done. So consider taking the car to a reliable garage, instead.
Thanks Mr. Rajeev K,
It is definitely Oil in Coolant but not vice versa.
Also, I forgot to mention-Some months ago, the car had a problem of leaking engine oil and the tappet had to be changed. This happened probably due to over-heating. My father-in-law never maintained the car well and the fan used to come on quite often.
The problem was addressed when I took the car to a MASS and all the fluids were changed. The tappet was changed too and engine oil leakage stopped at last.
Regards,
Ashok.
Old 5th March 2015, 13:09   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
Hello Mr. Jaggu,
Can you post a photo so that we can confirm the presence of oil in coolant? What is sludge? Sorry, forgive my ignorance about such basic terms. Is it the thin layer of oil floating on the surface of coolant?
There are no other signs-no foam on engine oil, small air bubbles rise up the radiator cap for 1-2 seconds after starting but after 1 minute there are absolutely zero air bubbles. I have not risked opening the radiator cap for more than 1 minute for the fear of invoking a manmade coolant volcano!
Hi Just saw the post.

If oil contamination is happening then the engine oil will start becoming whiter, like chocolate milk shake. On the other hand if coolant is getting oil, then it will start changing the color of the coolant and make it look like the bottle in which we clean water paint brush.

Sorry unfortunately i don't have any images handy with me so some google images.

Coolant in oil
Do I need to change the head gasket?-cooolantinoil.jpg

Oil in coolant initial stages,
Do I need to change the head gasket?-oilincoolant.jpg
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 15:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hi Just saw the post.

If oil contamination is happening then the engine oil will start becoming whiter, like chocolate milk shake. On the other hand if coolant is getting oil, then it will start changing the color of the coolant and make it look like the bottle in which we clean water paint brush.

Sorry unfortunately i don't have any images handy with me so some google images.

Coolant in oil
Attachment 1346811

Oil in coolant initial stages,
Attachment 1346812
Thanks Mr. Jaggu,
Luckily I have none of these symptoms in my 800. Traces of oil can be seen on the coolant surface in the plastic bottle and the radiator, but luckily no trace of sludge as seen in these photos.
I have been advised to check the cooling system for leaks and I am doing so after Holi.
Engine oil is deep brown and I have never ever seen white fumes in the morning.
Milky chocolate coloration is not at all present in the engine oil.
Happy Holi.
Regards,
Ashok.
Ashok Naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 13:43   #34

Is it the head gasket?

Hello Everyone!

**I might have posted in the wrong forum as I have asked a question on Team-BHP for the very first time. So, please excuse my mistake, if any.**

I was about to clean my car and thought to check the engine bay as well. I was surprised to find a patch of oil near the top block of the engine. The oil seems to have come through near the head gasket.

Also, I noticed a rubber sealing which came off when I cleaned the oil (first picture). I have attached the pictures as well. In the last picture, you can see the warped rubber sealing. What do you guys think it is? And is it something serious?

Notes
*Car is a VW Polo 1.2 L Petrol; Make - December 2014
*Odometer : 6100kms
*Car is running fine otherwise, no loss of power, except that when the A/C is on, the car seems to make some noise while moving from standstill, something vibrates, it seems.
*The engine oil level is fine along with the coolant.
*Driving style - Enthusiastic

All opinions welcome : )
Attached Thumbnails
Do I need to change the head gasket?-img_20150823_124630_hdr.jpg  

Do I need to change the head gasket?-img_20150823_124642_hdr.jpg  

Do I need to change the head gasket?-img_20150823_124712_hdr.jpg  

Old 29th June 2017, 23:50   #35
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

Our 800 was serviced 4 months back (~2000kms) and valve door packing was changed, radiator was cleaned and flushed, oil replaced.
The temp gauge never went above the halfway mark but i felt it was heating a bit more than normal, hence our mechanic replaced the radiator cap (non oem but same 0.9 bar) and the thermostat valve was also replaced. My dad usually drives this car and today when he came home i saw this fluid dried up marks on the front fender.
Do I need to change the head gasket?-wp_20170629_17_45_21_pro.jpg

So opened the hood and i was
Do I need to change the head gasket?-wp_20170629_17_45_50_pro.jpg
where is the reservoir cap?

Do I need to change the head gasket?-wp_20170629_17_46_20_pro.jpg
and coolant was all over the place

I topped up the radiator and started the engine and saw this...

I think the head gasket is bust. Is my assumption correct?
No signs of milkiness in oil though. Checked the oil filler cap and dipstick.

Gokul
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:26   #36
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

In continuation to my above post, got the headgasket, water pump, coolant reservoir, timing belt+tensioner and camshaft oil seal replaced. But still the radiator spits out water when cap is open. I'm really clueless. After the headgasket change, the coolant temperature never rises above 1/4th in the gauge whereas it always used to stay just shy of the halfway mark.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is this anything related to the cooling system or head? It had been running absolutely fine all these years. Starts in one crank even after lying idle for more than a week, no misfiring or rough sounds (the car is a 2000 model MPFI maruti 800 5 speed).

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 3rd July 2017 at 18:33.
Old 3rd July 2017, 21:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Hi BHPians,

In continuation to my above post, got the headgasket, water pump, coolant reservoir, timing belt+tensioner and camshaft oil seal replaced. But still the radiator spits out water when cap is open. I'm really clueless. After the headgasket change, the coolant temperature never rises above 1/4th in the gauge whereas it always used to stay just shy of the halfway mark.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is this anything related to the cooling system or head? It had been running absolutely fine all these years. Starts in one crank even after lying idle for more than a week, no misfiring or rough sounds (the car is a 2000 model MPFI maruti 800 5 speed).
What happens when the radiator cap is closed?? Does the car behave normally then??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 21:16   #38
BANNED

Quote:
In continuation to my above post, got the headgasket, water pump, coolant reservoir, timing belt+tensioner and camshaft oil seal replaced. But still the radiator spits out water when cap is open. I'm really clueless.
What about the health of the radiator itself and the hoses?

Did you change the hoses?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 21:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What happens when the radiator cap is closed?? Does the car behave normally then??

Regards,
Shashi
Now after driving for like 5kms (it earlier used to reach operating temp. within this distance) the temp needle just moves a bit from the C end. And in the next 3 or 4 kms. I can hear the radiator cap release the coolant into reservoir with quite some pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The radiator was cleaned less than 1000kms ago. The rubber hose from the radiator to the engine was changed. Thermostat was also changed. Now the water pump too.

What I thought was the head gasket is bust so the exhaust is leaking into the coolant line and causing it to spurt out. But even after replacing the HG, it is spurting out coolant.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 3rd July 2017 at 21:41.
Old 3rd July 2017, 22:08   #40
BANNED

Quote:
What I thought was the head gasket is bust so the exhaust is leaking into the coolant line and causing it to spurt out. But even after replacing the HG, it is spurting out coolant.
I may be wrong, can you try a radiator flush?

I am thinking the channels are almost blocked.

Can you take a video and share?
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:05   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

That is a lot a kit you got changed out without a proper diagonisis. Really, your problem is not related to the reservoer, timing belt or tensioner.

Quote:

That would have been my guess as well. You said you changed the head gasket, but did you get the cilinder head checked as well. It almost sounds as if there is a crack somewhere in the cilinderhead, or maybe it's warped.

The proper working of a radiator and thermostat is best checked with aninfrared thermometer. Get the engine up to normal operating temperature. (I know yours wont) and check the temperatures of the inlet and outlet of the radioter and thermostat valve. Is ther any cooling taking place?

If not, my bet would be on some sort of crack in the cilinder head or a poorly done job of re-installing the head gasket. Both are easily cheched with a proper pressure test.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is a lot a kit you got changed out without a proper diagonisis. Really, your problem is not related to the reservoer, timing belt or tensioner.
The car has done 70k kms, and is 17 years old. On seeing the belt, though it looked healthy, I asked them to change it because everything was opened up and it did not cost much when compared to the labour charges. Reservoir was changed because cap was not available seperately.

Quote:
That would have been my guess as well. You said you changed the head gasket, but did you get the cilinder head checked as well. It almost sounds as if there is a crack somewhere in the cilinderhead, or maybe it's warped.
I asked them to check if it is warped too. After removing the residues of the old gasket, it was inspected by them and was deemed fine ( I was not there at the time). When we picked up the car, the bubbles were not coming so I thought problems were fixed, but today after driving for some hours, the issue has resurfaced.
Quote:
The proper working of a radiator and thermostat is best checked with aninfrared thermometer. Get the engine up to normal operating temperature. (I know yours wont) and check the temperatures of the inlet and outlet of the radioter and thermostat valve. Is ther any cooling taking place?

If not, my bet would be on some sort of crack in the cilinder head or a poorly done job of re-installing the head gasket. Both are easily cheched with a proper pressure test.
Regarding the quality of work, I'm also suspicious. When I dropped by to take a look and see WIP, the guy removing the residues of previous gasket was careless and I was worried whether his acts would introduce grooves and actually defeat the purpose of all this, which now I feel has happened.

Will definitely check the radiator. I might be wrong but the car has never overheated or run with less oil or coolant and chances of warping is highly unlikely isnt it?

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 3rd July 2017 at 23:30.
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:35   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Will definitely check the radiator. I might be wrong but the car has never overheated or run with less oil or coolant and chances of warping is highly unlikely isnt it?
I'll suggest you to use a radiator flush and see if things solve.

I am having doubts if the coolant lines are clogged.
Old 4th July 2017, 02:31   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Let's not go this trial and error way. It's easy enough to check whether the radiator and or lines are blocked. Always try to diagnose first before you start swapping or doing stuff.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Cleaning the radiator and replacing the temperature sensor has solved the issue and the car has completed 1000kms without any hiccups.

Lost 7K due to misdiagnosis and our blindly trusting the service guys.
--gKrish-- is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks