Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2019, 01:59   #46
BHPian

Re: Do I need to change the head gasket?

my diesel chevy magnum is throwing out the coolant from the tanks cap, this happens only and only when i'm driving 100-120+ on the highways, never happens in the city at city speeds. We checked several times to find if there was any leakage but there wasnt one. 200+ kms highway drive and the coolant drops down to 25%. The mechanic suggested head gasket change, what do you guys think?
Old 13th September 2019, 16:05   #47
BHPian

My Alto LX has run 57,000 Kms and there was severe heating issue with cooling getting vanished very frequently. I used to top up and run the car very cautiously. Later I found that coolant was getting mixed with oil and the oil lid had a creamy coffee coloured residue from inside. This is a sure shot indication of head gasket failure. I also noticed that the coolant reserve container was getting bubbles with hissing sound, which is again indication of head gasket failure.

You can also get many symptoms if the head gasket has failed. You will get bubbles in coolant tank, bubbles in coolant reservoir, oil film in coolant, discoloured engine oil, vanishing coolant, etc.

Try to get the defect rectified as soon as possible to avoid facing of head and also prevent further damage. If the problem is not attended well within time, the pick up would drop to such an extend that the car may not even move and you will have to tow the car to the service garage.

I went to Navnit Motors, Thane service centre and they gave me a very heavy estimate indicating requirement of radiator replacement, electrical coil replacement, water pump replacement along with head gasket replacement, qil change, oil filter change and coolant change. Head repair work was also advised to be done.

I took the car to a road side mechanic and he did the job charging me Rs 2000 for his labour for replacement of head gasket (Rs 300), facing head on lathe machine (Rs 1500), oil change (Rs 800), oil filter change (Rs 100), coolant change (Rs 200) and inlet packing (Rs 40). Everything was done for within Rs 5,000.

Now the car is running fine. It is well known fact that Maruti authorised service stations are more interested to service new cars where they make 60% profit on selling engine oil and have very less work to do. If you go to them for any bigger repairs, they will quote such a hefty amount that you will run away from there, which is their aim.
arun_112 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 17:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_112 View Post
My Alto LX has run 57,000 Kms and there was severe heating issue with cooling getting vanished very frequently.
That's great to hear that your car is running fine after the repair. But do you think the mechanic, torqued the head bolts, checked the valve and tappet clearances, etc according to factory recommended when he did the job? Cause just roughly tightening the bolts "may" end up in head warp, etc issues again. I am not sure if the authorized SVC does it . But just to be on the safe side, i would recommend, a oil flush liquid be added and oil flushed & a similar radiator flush and coolant replaced. This will ensure that the remiansof all the pre-repair the 'mixing' of both the fluids, will be removed. Just my thoughts, for a piece of mind.

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2019 at 09:03. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 13th September 2019, 17:55   #49
BHPian

Yes, everything was cleaned thoroughly and all bolts tighten properly. The garage has experienced mechanic and knows the job. There were 2 more cars whose head gasket replacement was going on.
Old 20th September 2019, 19:30   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You don't have any major symptoms of head gasket leakage, except for some sludge in the radiator/reservoir cap.
SS-Traveller, I really need your expert thoughts to deal with an immediate situation with a Duster Diesel. My situation is mildly related to this post.
I just realised that there's thick grey slump in the coolant reservoir and engine oil is mixed up with coolant. As discussed above in the post, there is no sign of coolant in engine oil/foam deposit. no external leakages or deposits near hoses anywhere, the engine bay is clean.

Today, a local mechanic's quick view suggests not an issue with Head gasket rather it is with Oil cooler.

Given the car is precious Dacia, god forbids the availability of the part in the open market and only type available is a non genuine Chinese part costing 1500 which even the seller says "kamiyab nahi hai".
Dreading to take it to dealership workshop 40 kms away for a humble cost of 20/25K upwards + 2-4 days.

Please advice as i cant even afford to use the car in this situation let alone enjoy driving it.

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2019 at 09:04. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 21st September 2019, 18:27   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererashima View Post
SS-Traveller, I really need your expert thoughts to deal with an immediate situation with a Duster Diesel. My situation is mildly related to this post.
I just realised that there's thick grey slump in the coolant reservoir and engine oil is mixed up with coolant. As discussed above in the post, there is no sign of coolant in engine oil/foam deposit. no external leakages or deposits near hoses anywhere, the engine bay is clean.

Today, a local mechanic's quick view suggests not an issue with Head gasket rather it is with Oil cooler.
Not too familiar with the Duster Diesel, but from what you describe, there can be 3 points at which engine oil and coolant can mix - the head gasket, oil cooler, or turbocharger. Can't really commit to where the problem lies, though.

I presume your car is out of warranty?

Since your location is shown as Delhi, you might want to take the car to my usual FNG (Friendly Neighborhood Garage (FNG) - Imtiaz & Ayub (New Delhi)) for an opinion.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 01:27   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not too familiar with the Duster Diesel, but from what you describe, there can be 3 points at which engine oil and coolant can mix - the head gasket, oil cooler, or turbocharger. Can't really commit to where the problem lies, though.
Thanks SS,
it turned out to be an Oil cooler issue. had a tough time sourcing an original part though. Thanks to Renault, its sure is impossible.
Anyways, got the part replaced, all pipes cleaned from chemical and radiator flush.
Been suggested to run 3-4 days on water instead of coolant so any residual oil can form up in the reservoir. Post that new engine oil, filter and coolant will be added.

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2019 at 09:04. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
wandererashima is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks