Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2006, 14:11   #1

Baleno with CNG

Hi guys ,yesterday coincidently i met with one person who has fiitted CNG in his baleno and since i was planning to do the same in Esteem ,i requested him if i could take the test drive of his car . he agreed .

Driving impressions : The pick up was no doubt sluggish and i had to press hard to accelerate .the power was less compared to the other balenos but there was no extra noise, smell or anything that could make me feel i was driving a CNG kitted car . The only downside i found was less power but for city use it was adequate to overtake other cars .
I asked about the FE and all ,he told me he is getting 18-20 in city with ac on . He bought this second hand baleno (7 months ago) from True value maruti dealers with one year warranty and 3 free services and got CNG fitted and the best thing was that the warranty is not void .

Guys, keeping in mind that in delhi CNG costs 18/kg , the cost per km comes out to be less than a rupee .
I was thinking of buying a used esteem but after driving his baleno with CNG ,i feel its the perfect choice for a person looking to fit CNG in the car .

He looked preety happy with his car and that made me think of doing the same .
Guys ,is there any drawback of fitting a CNG in baleno except for the loss in power .

Cheers .
Old 18th May 2006, 15:14   #2
BHPian

what is the cng tank capacity?
Old 25th May 2006, 16:47   #3
BHPian

I have fitted three cars with LPG and heres my experience:-
a) Matiz- used with LPG for 2 yrs:- little loss of power... not much diff
b) Esteem- used with LPG for 3 yrs:- no loss of power at all
c) Honda City 1.5:- 6 months:- its a dream

the advantage of LPG over CNG is NO LOSS OF POWER but CNG is cheaper... moreover with CNG you wont get much of an AC... heresay.. any comments?
Old 25th May 2006, 20:32   #4
BHPian

How does AC-Figure out in Comparision in CNG and LPG...I really wonder ?

LPG has lower calorific value- produces less power in comparision to CNG...! The Ignition point of CNG is higher and Its is dry gas..is the reason for sluggish response to sudden accelaration as compared to LPG..!
The engine will still keep running the AC at the same rate..So how does AC performance drop...I have sat in CNG Radio Taxi's- Namely all Cielo's in the heat of Delhi summer..which no one anywhere in india can compare with..and cabs are as cool as a igloo..! I think or lets say I'm sure its just a another mechanic Myth of CNG causing AC drop....!
Old 26th May 2006, 14:56   #5
BHPian

hope you are right... cause next thing I am geting a Baleno and a CNG kit!
Old 29th May 2006, 12:00   #6
BHPian

CNG vs. LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
LPG has lower calorific value- produces less power in comparision to CNG...!
The Ignition point of CNG is higher and Its is dry gas..is the reason for sluggish
response to sudden accelaration as compared to LPG..!
I've heard it said on TV (Tutu Dhawan ?) that LPG is a lubricating fuel, and so
it supposedly enhances engine life compared to CNG which is a "dry fuel".
Is it true ? And if so, how ?
Old 29th May 2006, 12:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had LPG on my Siena 1.2 I did not see any drop in pickup but when driving in petrol the engine felt lot smoother.
Old 14th September 2010, 17:16   #8
BHPian

found this old thread while I was looking for ways to improve my Baleno so continuing this thread instead of starting a new one..hope the thread starter does not mind.

I have a black baleno Lxi (2003) with abt 50k on the odo and recently got it converted to CNG. Its a 12kg CNG and has added about 75kg to the boot.

Issue#1
As is well known of the Baleno - it has a low GC and does scrape with a full load. Now with the CNG the scrapping problem is worse than ever. A local mechanic suggested to add rubber boots/spacers in the rear, did that, but am not too comfortable with the solution as a bit of scrapping is still there and have added a new swooshing sound from the rear suspension. Open to more/any suggestions..

Issue #2
As with CNG the car feels sluggish specially in the low end. Is there any way of improving this? After some research at t-bhp I am planning to get a K&N Apollo kit..will this help?? Am not too interested in the engine sound just the low end performance.

peace,
~kg
Old 14th September 2010, 18:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As is well known of the Baleno - it has a low GC and does scrape with a full load. Now with the CNG the scrapping problem is worse than ever. A local mechanic suggested to add rubber boots/spacers in the rear, did that, but am not too comfortable with the solution as a bit of scrapping is still there and have added a new swooshing sound from the rear suspension. Open to more/any suggestions..
Your options are limited, you might consider an up-size of the tires and that's as far as you can go.

Quote:
As with CNG the car feels sluggish specially in the low end. Is there any way of improving this? After some research at t-bhp I am planning to get a K&N Apollo kit..will this help?? Am not too interested in the engine sound just the low end performance.
I doubt if that would make much of a difference on a CNG baleno. Why did you convert it to CNG in the first place ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 14th September 2010 at 18:52.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:53   #10
BHPian

Hi kapil.
I have a baleno altura done 1,20,000. It's been running on cng for the last 3 years. Initially, I also encountered scrapping problems and the car was horribly sluggish. Spacers worked for me, the only thing I do is to approach speedbreakers at a 45 degrees angle slowly. Very very rarely does my car bottom out.
Note that spacers do affect the ride and handling of a car.

My car was sluggish until I read about TAP and got it installed. I find that performance is now almost equal to that of petrol. At speeds above 95 to 100 there is a slight drop in power though.

Read about TAP here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ssor-work.html
Old 15th September 2010, 13:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Your options are limited, you might consider an up-size of the tires and that's as far as you can go.
Am not sure how upsizing of the tires would help coz with a correct tire upsize the dia etc do not change much.
I was thinking more in the terms of stiffer springs with the same spring height (as original)...any idea where I can get some of these in Delhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Why did you convert it to CNG in the first place ?
Economy . Dad wanted to use it daily as his car to-fro office making about 100km or so a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
My car was sluggish until I read about TAP and got it installed. I find that performance is now almost equal to that of petrol. At speeds above 95 to 100 there is a slight drop in power though.

Read about TAP here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ssor-work.html
I got my CNG kit at Arya CNG, Lajpat Nagar, the guy has decent knowledge n seemed smart but did not tell me anything abt the TAP. Where in Delhi did you get the TAP installed?

peace,
~kg
Old 15th September 2010, 19:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilvgupta View Post
Issue#1
I am not too sure what to say, but for me scrapping problem was there only for a week (till the time i got used to the car). I dont travel full load much. But whenever i travelled also it didnt scrape much. I dont take it in 45 degree angle also. But yeah i have gone for 15" wheels, so that helps (if at all). Guess if you are a bit careful and crawl over you can solve this to an extent.

Edit: Even my car has also got a LPG tank, a huge one to that, though i dont use it.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:55   #13
BHPian

got the TAP sensor fitted in my Baleno (the CNG guys called it a MAP sensor)
Felt an immediate improvement in the low-end pickup and performance of the car. The car on CNG feels much responsive than before and was able to travel 215km on a tank full on CNG (highway, 60-80% AC)

cost - Rs900/- well spent as this helps the car behave a bit more like on
petrol.

only con - the car tends to miss/jerk a lot at 1000-1500 rpm (mainly 2nd or 3rd gear) when on CNG...I hope this is just a minor adjustment issue or is there a specific reason for this??

peace,
~kg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks