Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2006, 09:10   #76
BHPian

15 KMPH in 4th Gear

Hi please find an image of my Zen doing just 15KMPH in the 4th Gear

Old 29th August 2006, 16:57   #77
BHPian

hi Kaizer sozay/ finetuning,

I am interested in getting the heads of my ohc 1.5 grooved in Delhi. Please advise how to go about it. I have been regularly using acetone. I do not have any experiance of opening up engine heads.
Old 29th August 2006, 18:23   #78
BHPian

hi kaizer what was the total amount u spent doing this
Old 29th August 2006, 22:06   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit mohan

I am interested in getting the heads of my ohc 1.5 grooved in Delhi. Please advise how to go about it. I have been regularly using acetone. I do not have any experiance of opening up engine heads.
Dear amit mohan,

The basic requirement is to find a very good mechanic who has knowledge of engine & workshop.......u need to open engine head....need to remove some metal by surface grinding to increase ur compresson ratio(most probably 1 mm but depends on engine)....then need to make groove.....we have taken photo of grooves....I think kaizer sozay will share it....u need to replace many gaskets once head is opened......when fitting u need to check ignition timing....

Meanwhile do visit www.somender-singh.com for more information...

Enjoy....
Old 30th August 2006, 01:37   #80
BHPian

Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
hi kaizer what was the total amount u spent doing this
The spare pare were original MGP & some parts for the mpfi zen are SGP so the total cost for spares came to 3400 Rs. The head shaving cost me 200Rs. The files for the grooves cost me 100 Rs.
My mechanic charged me only 1000Rs for a 3 day job but i feel thats very cheap as he is my regular guy. Total Costing 4700 Rs

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 30th August 2006 at 01:41.
Old 1st September 2006, 10:45   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit mohan

dear amit,
firstly doing this will void your warranty and i am very certain that no honda workshop will do this kind of work for you.
Find yourself a local mechanic who is competent enough to open and close engine heads.
Also look for a machine shop that has a surface grinder.
Try and mail mr singh for the amount to whcih the ohc haead has to be shaved.
I will post the pics in the next few days
Old 2nd September 2006, 19:20   #82
BHPian

The PUC Report!!!

A PUC Report in a way vaildates the change in performance of the engine.

I got the PUC done today on a PUC machine called ULTRA-TEC the readings are as follows (Both the readings are from the same machine at the same petrol pump)
Reading ----- Today----- 1 Year Ago
CO: ----- 0.326% Vol -----1.459% Vol
CO2:----- 12.19%vol ------11.49% Vol
HC: ----- 135PPM Vol----- 234PPM Vol
O2: ----- 0.00% Vol -----3.24% Vol
Lamda: ----- 0.982 -----1.113
AFR: ----- 14.43 -----16.36

I do not know what these readouts like Lambda & AFR are but every reading shows a significant Drop
The Permissible limit for CO is 3% The reading now is 1/10th of that All I can gather from this is that the Engine is Much More Enviormentally Friendly.
This is only possible if the combustion process is Complete & there is no Un burnt fuel being thrown out from the exhaust,
Also There is a lot of water being thrown out from the tail pipe.

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 2nd September 2006 at 19:25.
Old 2nd September 2006, 22:46   #83
elf
BANNED

Anybody done this on a Lancer yet, or would I be the first one?

Also, correct me if I''m wrong, but couldn't one attribute the increased power to the shaved head?

Am really interested in this for the torque gains, but want to clear doubts before chopping / shaving bits off my engine head.

And yes, I've already read the entire Somender Singh website (http://www.somender-singh.com/), so please don't send me any more links. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2006, 01:13   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Anybody done this on a Lancer yet, or would I be the first one?

Also, correct me if I''m wrong, but couldn't one attribute the increased power to the shaved head?

Am really interested in this for the torque gains, but want to clear doubts before chopping / shaving bits off my engine head.

And yes, I've already read the entire Somender Singh website (http://www.somender-singh.com/), so please don't send me any more links. Thanks.
Yes you are right the shaved head would definetly result in more power but the Better Burn that is purely a result of the grooves.
Sorry dude not aware of anyone who has done it on a lancer. i was bold enough to gamble doing this on my zen.
Old 3rd September 2006, 02:44   #85
BHPian

I am quite impressed with the grooves theory.. But..I have one confusion though…so please help….As far as I know…The ECM monitors the temperature of the engine and modify the mixture accordingly. If we start a cold engine the mixture is rich and as soon as the engine reaches its optimum temperatures the mixture gets leaner. In this thread some of you have mentioned that the temperatures at which the grooved engine runs is lower than the stock engine. So does the ECM read it and give a richer fuel mixture? If it does so it will lead to lower fuel efficiency…correct me if I am wrong?
Old 3rd September 2006, 11:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai
I am quite impressed with the grooves theory.. But..I have one confusion though…so please help….As far as I know…The ECM monitors the temperature of the engine and modify the mixture accordingly. If we start a cold engine the mixture is rich and as soon as the engine reaches its optimum temperatures the mixture gets leaner. In this thread some of you have mentioned that the temperatures at which the grooved engine runs is lower than the stock engine. So does the ECM read it and give a richer fuel mixture? If it does so it will lead to lower fuel efficiency…correct me if I am wrong?
Well when i was doing this i had disconected the battery so the ECM has gotten Reset,
I am almost down on my 1st tankfull & i have been driving with a heavy foot, & My FE is approx 11 Kmph in really bad bombay traffic ( as for the past week i have been stuck on 3 ocassions in crazy jams with the Ganesh chatruti immersions) with the AC on.
So i can definetly say that my FE hasnt Dipped.

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 3rd September 2006 at 11:26.
Old 3rd September 2006, 14:05   #87
BHPian

Whenever we open an engine head for modification like grooves....we need to perform some more work to support it to enhance the benefit....we know that raising the compression is good method to increase the power......I increade my compression to 10:1 ........grooves gives direct path to squish area where no combustion or little combustion takes place because of its design.....this way we get fuel burning efficiently without waste.....this result in increase in FE.....

Enjoy.....
Old 3rd September 2006, 14:56   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Whenever we open an engine head for modification like grooves....we need to perform some more work to support it to enhance the benefit....we know that raising the compression is good method to increase the power......I increade my compression to 10:1 ........grooves gives direct path to squish area where no combustion or little combustion takes place because of its design.....this way we get fuel burning efficiently without waste.....this result in increase in FE.....

Enjoy.....
I agree with the efficiency. But yours is carb. engine right? We can manually adjust the fuel mixture here. But what about engines with ECM? Normal temp. of grooved engine is around 40% less(acc. to previous posts) ...it will lead ECM to through in' richer fuel mixture?
Old 3rd September 2006, 16:32   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai
I agree with the efficiency. But yours is carb. engine right? We can manually adjust the fuel mixture here. But what about engines with ECM? Normal temp. of grooved engine is around 40% less(acc. to previous posts) ...it will lead ECM to through in' richer fuel mixture?
No its an MPFI, The temp diff is minimal in my car, but in finetunings Carb esteem its very noticeable.
yes you are right if the temp dips the thermostat will comand the ECM to throw more fuel resulting in lesser FE.
Old 3rd September 2006, 23:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
know that raising the compression is good method to increase the power......I increade my compression to 10:1 ........grooves .....
Can you let me know how you are calculating the new compression ratio. I am planning to inc the comp on my OHC and need to know how much material to remove and its effect on the compression.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks