Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 17:52   #1
BHPian

Tata Indica Petrol : Engine size / Power / FI changes over time?

This is a question for technical / service gurus who keep a track of these things ...

My request to the gurus is to please correct me if I am wrong ... and answer my questions ... in the below post.

If I recall correctly, the TATA Indica was launched in 1998 with a 1.4 liter (1405 cc) petrol engine making ~70 PS, possibly with a carburetor.

Somewhere along the way, possibly around 2000, I think because of emission norms, it acquired fuel injection and a bump in power to 75 PS. I am not sure if this change was made to the engine when the V2 version of the Indica was launched (~2001) or before.

For a number of years, this 1.4 liter 75 PS fuel injected petrol engine continued.

Q1. I would like to ask the gurus, when (month and year, if possible) was this engine was changed to the 1.4 liter (1396 cc) 70 PS XETA ?

The 1.4 liter XETA was available for a short period of time only, and was replaced with the 1.2 liter 65 PS XETA, to take advantage of the excise benefits.

Q2. When (month and year, if possible) was this 1.2 liter XETA introduced ?

Q3. Could someone tell me which fuel injection system is used with each engine mentioned above ? I seem to recall earlier engines used Hitachi systems, which were replaced with Valeo.

Q4. If one was to purchase an older petrol Indica, which would be the one to purchase - from the point of view of FI system reliability, spare parts availability as well as vehicle performance ? Fuel economy is not a major concern.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

P.S. Some more questions :

Q5. Was the Indica ever sold in India with the Indigo's 1.4 liter 85 PS petrol engine ? I think not, which leads me to my next question ...

Q6. I would like understand which of the above Indica engines can be easily upgraded to / replaced with the Indigo petrol's 1.4 liter 85 PS engine, keeping in mind that the gearbox ratios might be different (Indica petrols always used 13" wheel-tyres and Indigos always used 14" wheel-tyres).

Q7. I would also like understand which Indica engine can be easily upgraded to / replaced with the Indigo XL petrol's 1.4 liter 16 valve 100 PS engine.

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 6th April 2013 at 18:02.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Indica Petrol : Engine size / Power / FI changes over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
This is a question for technical / service gurus who keep a track of these things ... My request to the gurus is to please correct me if I am wrong ... and answer my questions ... in the below post.
I'm neither a technical guy nor a service guy. Hope that's acceptable!

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the TATA Indica was launched in 1998 with a 1.4 liter (1405 cc) petrol engine making ~70 PS, possibly with a carburetor.
You are right about carburettor. Not sure about power output at this moment (IIRC, it was < 70) but can check my archives which will take time!

Quote:
Somewhere along the way, possibly around 2000, I think because of emission norms, it acquired fuel injection and a bump in power to 75 PS.
You are right. This model was called Indica 2000. It had Hitachi FE system and carried the Hitachi sticker on its tailgate.

Quote:
I am not sure if this change was made to the engine when the V2 version of the Indica was launched (~2001) or before.
V2 designation was only used for Diesel version, at least initially. Indica 2000 preceded V2, the two not being connected.

Quote:
For a number of years, this 1.4 liter 75 PS fuel injected petrol engine continued.
That's true!

Quote:
Q1. I would like to ask the gurus,
I'm not a guru!

Quote:
when (month and year, if possible) was this engine was changed to the 1.4 liter (1396 cc) 70 PS XETA ?
In January 2006

Quote:
The 1.4 liter XETA was available for a short period of time only, and was replaced with the 1.2 liter 65 PS XETA, to take advantage of the excise benefits.
1.2 was launched solely in response to the change in Govt.'s excise policy. 1.2 XETA costed Rs. 25000/- less than 1.4! For some time, 1.2 and 1.4 XETA co-existed, the latter being available only in higher trim variant.

Quote:
Q2. When (month and year, if possible) was this 1.2 liter XETA introduced ?
November 2006

Quote:
Q3. Could someone tell me which fuel injection system is used with each engine mentioned above ? I seem to recall earlier engines used Hitachi systems, which were replaced with Valeo.
Already told you about Hitachi system in Indica 2000. Not sure about XETA but can check which will take time!

Quote:
Q4. If one was to purchase an older petrol Indica, which would be the one to purchase - from the point of view of FI system reliability, spare parts availability as well as vehicle performance ? Fuel economy is not a major concern. Cheers,
FourWheelDrift
Very few people bought the petrol Indica. We have some on this forum. Please search this forum and get in touch with them for their feedback.

Quote:
P.S. Some more questions :
Q5. Was the Indica ever sold in India with the Indigo's 1.4 liter 85 PS petrol engine ? I think not
You are right. It wasn't. However, the Indicas exported to UK (re-badged as Cityrover) were equipped with Indigo's 85 HP petrol engine and 14 inch wheels with tyre size 175/60/14 which was different from both Indigo's as well as Indica's

Quote:
, which leads me to my next question ...
Please ask!

Quote:
Q6. I would like understand which of the above Indica engines can be easily upgraded to / replaced with the Indigo petrol's 1.4 liter 85 PS engine, keeping in mind that the gearbox ratios might be different (Indica petrols always used 13" wheel-tyres and Indigos always used 14" wheel-tyres)
I think the 1405 CC 75HP version should be the easiest to upgrade.

Quote:
Q7. I would also like understand which Indica engine can be easily upgraded to / replaced with the Indigo XL petrol's 1.4 liter 16 valve 100 PS engine.
I think the Xeta one considering they are of identical size i.e. 1396 CC. I think the two engines are siblings!
directinjection is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 19:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

a few more points
the xeta uses a bosch ECU
I have heard that the DOHC 1.4 block used in the petrol indigo XL has some safari petrol ancestry too, and while doable, is not straightforward.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 20:05   #4
BHPian

Many, many thanks directinjection and greenhorn.

From your responses, if I'm looking for a 1.4 1405cc 75 PS fuel injection car, it should be between 2001 and 2005 ... and if I'm looking for a 1.4 1396cc XETA 70 PS car, it should be a GLX made between Jan and Nov 2006 (for sure) and likely even beyond Nov 2006 till whenever the GLX was also switched to 1.2 XETA.

If anyone else would like to add to the above, or comment on the serviceability / reliability / spare parts availability issues as well as the manufacturer of the FI systems, please do so.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 6th April 2013 at 20:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks