Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 11:07   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Interesting theory behind the free play in the ORVMs :-)
Regarding the mixing of fresh air into recirculated air - now that broken flap is identified, this may be irrelevant but you can check if the Rexton comes with cabin air quality sensor. if it does, the ASM may be right - even if the user optes for recirculation mode, the car will override if if it thinks that cabin air is stale. (Note: I don't have any personal experience as my car does not have this sensor).
Old 4th July 2013, 11:10   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Interesting theory behind the free play in the ORVMs :-)
Regarding the mixing of fresh air into recirculated air - now that broken flap is identified, this may be irrelevant but you can check if the Rexton comes with cabin air quality sensor. if it does, the ASM may be right - even if the user optes for recirculation mode, the car will override if if it thinks that cabin air is stale. (Note: I don't have any personal experience as my car does not have this sensor).
There are 3 modes for Air Mode- Fresh Air, Recirculated Air and Auto Mode. The car sucks in odour/smoke even when Recirculated mode is selected, it gets even worse in Auto mode.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:13   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

So Rexton does really have this sensor it seems? The ASM may have been talking about the auto mode by mistake?
Old 4th July 2013, 11:31   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The ASM may have been talking about the auto mode by mistake?
No he wasn't. He was talking about re circulation mode.
Old 6th July 2013, 18:07   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I am not clear on kind of TOD system Rexton has, and whether it has some kind of mechanical locking for center diff when in 4L mode or it just relies on clutch pack in TOD system, only thing I know is the diff gets locked but I just hope its not some clutch based mechanism, which might not be abuse friendly for offroading. The owners manual does not have any details, it does not even warn against driving the car in 4L mode on hard surface, this makes me think it's a clutch pack based differential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
Well it is electro-magnetic-based actuation system.
I feel the central differential gets locked in 4 low.
http://www.borgwarner.com/en/torqtra...Pages/TOD.aspx for more information.Attachment 1087351
Quote:
I doubt if there is some separate center differential other than TOD transfercase. Let me dig more info on this.
The TOD Transfer case acts as a center differential, allowing slippage when needed. There are essentially two types of center diffs. The one in the fortuner is a gear based system and one in Pajero 2.8 is a clutch pack based system. Clutch pack based systems can take abuse when designed for the purpose.

The center diff essentially has to get locked in 4Low otherwise it defeats the purpose of having 4x4.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 18:09   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For any other rexton owners, who are facing any service/diagnostic issues, I have the complete workshop manual, which has all the error codes and diagnostic steps. I can try to help if dealer is scratching his head. You need to send me the error code from the scan tool.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 18:55   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The center diff essentially has to get locked in 4Low otherwise it defeats the purpose of having 4x4.
Rexton in 4L works as well as Fortuner in 4L. However i do miss the 4H locked mode, the AWD system in TOD mode(4h as per the switch) is slow to react and the engagement can be felt, not seamless. The weak low end gives too many opportunities to engage 4L, in situations where cars like Fortuner easily gets away in 4H without slipping clutch. Overall Off the road Rexton MT is as capable as any of its competitors.

I feel MT is the variant to buy. Any idea, if the center differential of full time AWD system in AT variant can be locked? I guess i cannot be locked.
Old 8th July 2013, 18:30   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Rexton in 4L works as well as Fortuner in 4L. However i do miss the 4H locked mode, the AWD system in TOD mode(4h as per the switch) is slow to react and the engagement can be felt, not seamless. The weak low end gives too many opportunities to engage 4L, in situations where cars like Fortuner easily gets away in 4H without slipping clutch. Overall Off the road Rexton MT is as capable as any of its competitors.

I feel MT is the variant to buy. Any idea, if the center differential of full time AWD system in AT variant can be locked? I guess i cannot be locked.
Yes MT variant is a better buy because it offers low gear gearbox also. Rexton automatic doesn't have locking central differential.
Regarding ORVM's even my Rexton has about half a inch of play in them but i have never noticed them rattling on bad roads.
Old 14th July 2013, 22:27   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post

Yes MT variant is a better buy because it offers low gear gearbox also. Rexton automatic doesn't have locking central differential.
Regarding ORVM's even my Rexton has about half a inch of play in them but i have never noticed them rattling on bad roads.
Rexton AT has an intelligent "electronic" centre differential. As soon as any one one tyre starts spinning, the ESP system kicks in and brakes the spinning wheel.. Innovative centre differential function

Quote:

There is no centre differential lock but the ESP system performs the function by braking the spinning wheel

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th July 2013 at 08:01.
Old 15th July 2013, 00:07   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
There is no centre differential lock but the ESP system performs the function by braking the spinning wheel
I was talking about differential lock on center differential, to define an even split between front and rear axles. If the regular ESP program is all what it has to manage three open differentials, i do not expect anything at all from it off the road. This AWD system(AT) can only help it on the road, with the dynamics, even there i could not really figure out the extra grip from this system, this AT version has almost as much roll as the MT version(where AWD system does not kick in on the road to help in corners with body roll).
Old 15th July 2013, 07:45   #131
BANNED

Quote:

I was talking about differential lock on center differential, to define an even split between front and rear axles. If the regular ESP program is all what it has to manage three open differentials, i do not expect anything at all from it off the road. This AWD system(AT) can only help it on the road, with the dynamics, even there i could not really figure out the extra grip from this system, this AT version has almost as much roll as the MT version(where AWD system does not kick in on the road to help in corners with body roll).
AT version is a full time 4WD and has a centre differential which splits the torque 60% to rear and 40% to front. It does not have a manual centre differential lock whose function is carried out by ESP. Yes for extreme off roaming it does not have a low gear.
Old 15th July 2013, 17:31   #132
BHPian

Quote:
@anshuman, The ESP won't kick-in just to counter body-rolls. It will kick in only when the vehicle is not moving in the direction where the steering is point it to go - say oversteer or understeer. Even then it's not designed to reduce the body roll - that's suspension's job. Actually depending upon over/understeer and the corrections applied, sometimes the body roll could be more pronounced (again depending upon suspension and how good/bad it is).

If you want to see the difference in ESP handling between RX5 and RX7, then try a quick S bend on an isolated area (basically trying to get your car 'fish-tail' - but beware, it's a dangerous maneuver).

PS: How's your friend's RX5 coping now, after the TC change? Any updates?

PS2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
AT version is a full time 4WD and has a centre differential which splits the torque 60% to rear and 40% to front. It does not have a manual centre differential lock whose function is carried out by ESP. Yes for extreme off roaming it does not have a low gear.
The 'Anti-Slip Regulator' part of the ESP would kick-in if it detects wheel spin - good enough for simple slippery surfaces, mild slush, snow, wet grass, etc. However, it's not a substitute to the locked central differential and hence can't handle extreme off-road situations.

Last edited by GunMo : 15th July 2013 at 17:39. Reason: Avoiding back-to-back post
GunMo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 23:53   #133
BHPian

Ahh so I guess I really need to start an ownership thread the way things are going.
Done 5000kms now including a 900km return trip. The car drives like a dream on the Yamuna expressway. Just keeps pulling and pulling. The cruise control works like a charm and i did manage touching 180km/hr with ease. I know it's dangerous but I just had the itch to try it for a bit. Though the high speeds did bring to the front the problem with the vibrations and alignment too. The steering is tilted towards the left and so the car steers towards the left but if you bring the steering towards the Center the car starts pulling to the right. Also once speeds touch 120 the steering as well as the car starts shuddering and keeps doing it at all speeds after 120 guess the balancing is out for sure. The funny part is it starts as soon as you touch 120 no sign of it before that.

The average the rx7 is giving is a consistent 7-8km/ltr in the city and 9 on the highway which does seem a little less the slow gearbox seems to be the culprit.
Well as iv mentioned in my earlier post the vacuum modulator was replaced but I hate to say the problem has re appeared again though now it's not a regular problem sometimes it acts up sometimes it doesn't. Kind of real weird!

The circulation mode does leave a lot to be desired but in the re-circulation mode thankfully there isn't an issue and infact the blower flow increases quite a bit on switching to the re-circulation mode.

In other news iv managed to crack a bit of my windscreen thanks to a piece of pebble from a dezire driving ahead of me on the highway. As expected the windscreen isn't in stock and has been ordered. Sigh.

Anyway what further updates on the rexton rx5??
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 12:06   #134

This seems to be a common problem with Rextons though often denied by Mahindra. After 12k on the odo of Rx5, at least 10 trips to the workshop for alignment issue, I took up with the top brass of Mahindra. They finally swung into action, arranged a plant technician for a thorough check-up. The problem is tamed to a large extent now, though I'm not entirely convinced of their logic that the road camber is to be blamed (Mumbai roads). Anyways, you must closely inspect your front tyres for uneven wear, especially on the insides. Mine had worn out and Mahindra replaced them FOC, of course.

Also regarding balancing, get the weights removed from the front tyres and your problem will be solved. Apparently there was some issue in their final check and testing process at chakan where some particular batches of Rexton had this faulty balancing done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Ahh so I guess I really need to start an ownership thread the way things are going.
Done 5000kms now including a 900km return trip. The car drives like a dream on the Yamuna expressway. Just keeps pulling and pulling. The cruise control works like a charm and i did manage touching 180km/hr with ease. I know it's dangerous but I just had the itch to try it for a bit. Though the high speeds did bring to the front the problem with the vibrations and alignment too. The steering is tilted towards the left and so the car steers towards the left but if you bring the steering towards the Center the car starts pulling to the right. Also once speeds touch 120 the steering as well as the car starts shuddering and keeps doing it at all speeds after 120 guess the balancing is out for sure. The funny part is it starts as soon as you touch 120 no sign of it before that.

The average the rx7 is giving is a consistent 7-8km/ltr in the city and 9 on the highway which does seem a little less the slow gearbox seems to be the culprit.
Well as iv mentioned in my earlier post the vacuum modulator was replaced but I hate to say the problem has re appeared again though now it's not a regular problem sometimes it acts up sometimes it doesn't. Kind of real weird!

The circulation mode does leave a lot to be desired but in the re-circulation mode thankfully there isn't an issue and infact the blower flow increases quite a bit on switching to the re-circulation mode.

In other news iv managed to crack a bit of my windscreen thanks to a piece of pebble from a dezire driving ahead of me on the highway. As expected the windscreen isn't in stock and has been ordered. Sigh.

Anyway what further updates on the rexton rx5??
mmanchanda81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 11:52   #135
BHPian

Thanks for the information. I was just planning my trip to the ASS either today or tomorrow. Will get the weights removed. I just hope the tyres arent already affected. I just got back from a long 1700 kms tour with the balancing out and on the way back saw how the alignment has deteriorated further. But this could be more out of the fact that i had to drive over some bad patches of roads too. But this long tour has just heiglighted some other nuances in terms of a squeak coming from the dashboard from somewhere near the instrument console and a rattle from the rear of the car and the fact that the rear wiper blade makes screeching noises on being used
Reliability is in doubt for sure at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanchanda81 View Post
This seems to be a common problem with Rextons though often denied by Mahindra. After 12k on the odo of Rx5, at least 10 trips to the workshop for alignment issue, I took up with the top brass of Mahindra. They finally swung into action, arranged a plant technician for a thorough check-up. The problem is tamed to a large extent now, though I'm not entirely convinced of their logic that the road camber is to be blamed (Mumbai roads). Anyways, you must closely inspect your front tyres for uneven wear, especially on the insides. Mine had worn out and Mahindra replaced them FOC, of course.

Also regarding balancing, get the weights removed from the front tyres and your problem will be solved. Apparently there was some issue in their final check and testing process at chakan where some particular batches of Rexton had this faulty balancing done.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-554905_10153101023305637_114217256_n.jpg  

Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-954788_10152861789980637_1210574747_n.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks