Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 13:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

This is about my friend's Rexton MT, i already have mentioned in my XUV ownership thread.

Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-20130314_115646.jpg

Around some 15 days back, on a highway drive this Rexton lost the engine power(got in safe mode) with the emissions error light. My friend called me to check if i had any clue in regards to this problem, majority of times i had heard of similar instances in a turbo diesel in midst of a high speed drive was due to Turbo hose slipping off /torn.

Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-img20130320wa0000.jpg

I suggested him to switch off the car for some time, and restart it again and see if the car comes out of the safe mode. The car came out of safe for a while and was functioning normally, but went into limp/safe mode over and over again. I suggested my Friend to take the car to nearest Mahindra service center, he was in Hisar(Haryana) travelling on a highway. He took the car to Mahindra service center in Hisar, i was confident that since they sell and support XUV500 at this dealership they will atleast look in to the issue and will try to make the car fit to drive to Delhi NCR. The dealership refused to even look at the car, mentioning how they had clear instructions from Mahindra to not even touch the Rexton. Despite repeated requests stating this to be a emergency visit, they did not budge. Upon my suggestion, my friend called the Helpline, they suggested him to drive the car to Delhi/or get it towed before they can attend it.

Few days later, when my friend could manage some time, he drove the Rexton to Delhi. He took the car to a few Mahindra dealerships(i'm still awaiting details on which ones and what all did they do?), they could not sort out the issues.

Finally, the car was taken to the dealer who had sold the car- Sri Durga Auto, Rama Road. They asked him to take the car to their Mayapuri workshop, the same workshop: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3074467. The Mayapuri workshop accepted the Rexton and promised to find the solution at the earliest.

My friend was promised an update by afternoon, he did not get a update so he called to check the status, he was informed that the error was related to Turbocharger, they had erased the errors plus removed, cleaned and refitted the turbo(?) and the safe mode had vanished but appeared again at the time of testdrive. They also mentioned that since they had done everything possible at their end, they were waiting for a E-mail reply from Mahindra technical team for further troubleshooting. They told him, it might take a few days for them to get a reply He called up the customer care to check with them, he was told the Mahindra technical team is already assisting the workshop team to find out the issue.

They next day, there was no update from the RM, upon calling the RM said he was on leave and had no clue on what was happening with issue, so he asked to call another RM. The other RM updated they were still trying find out the issue, upon asking the details he said they were following the same procedure from the previous day and error code was popping again and again at the time of test drive. RM clearly informed him that they were clueless on what was causing it, and he had no idea how long will it take for them for diagnose the issue. By evening, it was clear that workshop team had no idea on how to diagnose the problem.

So this time, my friend called the customer care again and asked me to talk to them. Just like everytime my friend used to do, i told them the complete story from day one, and like everytime the customer care executive promised a call back.

So we got a call back after some time, this time the executive sounded very concerned and confident, he told us they had found the issue and the car would be ready by next day evening, i got suspicious of his claim, some time back i had talked to the RM and discussed the issue in detail and the problem was not diagnosed, so i asked the executive again if he was sure the problem was diagnosed and car would be ready by next day, he said 'Yes'. I asked him if he can give it in writing, he declined, he had no answer.

Day 3, Car is still at the workshop, they still do not have any clue on what to do with it. Customer care is good for nothing. RM says they have called their test drive car(they never had a Rexton MT), their will start with swapping Turbo with the TD car.

Nobody knows what's wrong with the car or how long will it take to know what's wrong. Only thing i know is Turbo and other parts are not in stock, the car might spend a long long time in workshop.

While Mr.Anand Mahindra is busy on twitter bragging about XXXX number of Mahindra service stations in the country, most dealerships(even those supporting XUV, leave alone those in remote areas) are not even authorised to attend their most expensive vehicle, not even in case of a break down/emergency. The customer care is good at cooking up their own stories, which rarely have any connection with actual work being done in the workshop.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th April 2013 at 13:59. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 13:38   #2
BHPian

re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Hi Anshuman,

Sad that this has happened with your friend's Rexton.
Mahindra customer care & Technical team should address this issue on priority as this is the initial period of their newly launched & most expensive car in their lineup.

I suggest please tweet Mr. Anand Mahindra directly on this issue & I am sure he will take immidiate action.

All the best & Do post more details & future happenings about this.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

This is scary!

When it comes to buying cars (or any 4 wheeler), I go with my head rather than heart. And the 1st thing I want is a reliable car and reliable A.S.S. (for times when reliability goes for a toss). All other things are a distant second. I was looking at an XUV as a next buy but some of the stories have me on the back-foot.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Is there water in the radiator? I know its a stupid question, but then, I doubt the workshop will open the radiator cap unless they are asked to do it.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 14:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is really annoying even to read. Can guess the plight of the owner of this car. Watching this thread for further updates. Why didn't they try talking to some Saangyong people directly regarding the issue, if they were clueless?

Selling a model without critical parts in stock - was it a desperate attempt to market a car with tight timelines or they just don't care about service at all?

Last edited by clevermax : 12th April 2013 at 14:08.
Old 12th April 2013, 14:10   #6
BANNED

A serious challenge thrown @ M&M to prove they are equally capable if not the same that of Toyota. They should fix this before it reach a much wider audience

Pl keep the forum posted
Old 12th April 2013, 14:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is there water in the radiator? I know its a stupid question, but then, I doubt the workshop will open the radiator cap unless they are asked to do it.
Will ask my friend to check this. But the engine wouldn't have survived this long without water, the engine would have seized by now. According to the RM the Error code is related to Turbo.

Can this also be related to the other instance near Dhanaulti where this Rexton refused to climb a steep incline in 4H(a steep hotel entrance). I found it pretty surprising, all other cars i have owned easily do it(even if with a little clutch slipping or momentum), finally i had to use 4L where it climbed easily in 2nd. But at that time the engine had full power on normal roads, the engine was revving all the way and there was no error light.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 14:15   #8
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV-500 AWD: Ownership Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The comparison will have to be delayed due to things beyond my control(even beyond Mahindra India's control) as the Rexton is lying at a Mahindra dealership, waiting to be diagnosed of the engine issues. Mahindra is unable to even diagnose the issues, leave alone sorting them out.
Ahhh. This is not a good news. This news will not inspire confidence in prospective Rexton customers. Engine issues are serious and they should have atleast diagnosed it by now. I myself was contemplating on going for XUV/Rexton before dropping Rexton of the list since I was not sure whether Mahindra A$$ would be able to effectively handle the Rexton issues. The long XUV niggles thread planted this doubt in my mind. Also the SA I spoke to here was keen to sell XUV and importantly not selling Rexton . The SA even told me that the mechanics are not fully aware of the vehicle it will be a gamble going for the Rexton. After hearing this from the SA itself I decided not to look at the Rexton.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 12th April 2013 at 14:22. Reason: Added one more point
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 14:38   #9
BHPian

Feel bad for your friend, no one should be subject to such treatment after spending so much on a car.

I think Mahindra has terribly failed in bringing their service staff up to speed with the products on offer and they are so over joyed with the Sales success they are seeing they are bringing more and more advanced products which are easy to sell but another thing to diagnose or repair.

Opening so many service centers around India and only giving them know how on how to fix the Bolero is not the right attitude, In an emergency even other company dealers help different cars but here an own company dealer is not touching it says so much on Mahindra's failure.

Hope your ordeal ends soon, I was genuinely waiting for your comparo between the XUV 500 and the Rexton, now I think the XUV has a clear edge in that at least it will be fixed by most if not all Mahindra Service Centers.
Old 12th April 2013, 15:10   #10
BHPian

A manual gearbox Mercedes engine giving trouble? Is the turbo also from Mercedes in the Rexton.

Hope it's not a costly affair.

Last edited by Ford5 : 12th April 2013 at 15:11.
Old 12th April 2013, 15:24   #11
BHPian

Hello .anshuman

Why they are swapping the turbo with a TD car , is this being done for testing or they will deliver the vehicle with used and abused turbo from TD car .
Old 12th April 2013, 15:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

What is with these turbos? I heard stories of many blown turbos, across makes. I think big displacement NA (non-turbo) engines are better. Do they really have to shrink cc and add a turbo? This is the general trend on diesel cars. I wonder if they are right.
Old 12th April 2013, 16:02   #13
BANNED

@eq24; I think they will have to refer back to Ssangyong for advice on this one.
Old 12th April 2013, 16:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

how new is this vehicle? Is it being driven with the proper care that should be given during the "break-in" period?

What about the fuel quality? There could some dirt that could be blocking and preventing proper fuel delivery. You could also try cleaning the filters and see.

Finally, hope nobody jealous has blocked your exhaust by pushing something inside.

Though I may sound silly, there are worth considering and can sometimes save a lot of time.

Lastly, dont worry, such hiccups are common with a new product/brand... I'm sure a company like Mahindra would never turn their backs on their customers!

Last edited by nitinbose : 12th April 2013 at 16:23.
Old 12th April 2013, 16:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi,

how new is this vehicle? Is it being driven with the proper care that should be given during the "break-in" period?
I had driven almost half the kilometers of the break-in period, my friend knows how to take care of a new car. My friend has spent close to 20 lakh rupees on this car and hopes to drive it for another 5-6 years, why would he abuse his vehicle knowingly?

Quote:
What about the fuel quality? There could some dirt that could be blocking and preventing proper fuel delivery. You could also try cleaning the filters and see.
And How is this related to Turbo error? This is not turbine/Jet propelled car. My XUV/Laura uses fuel from same bunk, why are they still alive.

Quote:
Finally, hope nobody jealous has blocked your exhaust by pushing something inside.
Quote:
Though I may sound silly, there are worth considering and can sometimes save a lot of time.
Please write a mail to Mahindra and suggest them to include all this in standard troubleshooting

On a serious note, my friend is not a first time car owner.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed