Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 16:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I had driven almost half the kilometers of the break-in period, my friend knows how to take care of a new car. My friend has spent close to 20 lakh rupees on this car and hopes to drive it for another 5-6 years, why would he abuse his vehicle knowingly?
Well, sometimes we may all mess up somewhere, hence asked.

Quote:
And How is this related to Turbo error? This is not turbine/Jet propelled car. My XUV/Laura uses fuel from same bunk, why are they still alive.
Is it confirmed its a turbo error? To me the symbol appears like the one related to exhaust errors or engine oil/pressure erros. While its true your cars fill from the same station, it could be your friends car that became a victim. We may all eat from the same restaurant, but only a few suffer from food poisoning.

Quote:
Please write a mail to Mahindra and suggest them to include all this in standard troubleshooting

On a serious note, my friend is not a first time car owner.
I'm sure Mahindra will incorporate these, right now, these should be teething issues.

Finally, no matter what expertise we have or careful we are, we may be the victim - hence thought of giving a few points to ponder.
Old 12th April 2013, 17:30   #17
BANNED

re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Quote:
On a serious note, my friend is not a first time car owner.
While troubleshooting will continue, the least M&M can, and should do is to give your friend a replacement car of the same segment or reimburse his taxi fare on a daily basis till this vehicle is rectified.

Skoda reimburses INR 4000.00 per day and looking into the segment the Rexton comes from, it should be a similar figure.

Coming to technicals, loss of power suddenly seems to a turbo failure. Can you tell me where the vehicle is, at Delhi? I can rustle up a few contacts if required.
Old 12th April 2013, 18:09   #18
BHPian

well sad to know about your friend's rexton...
Even i have purchased a rexton rx5 and i feel there is more than enough power even with 7 full/over grown adults in it (referring to your statement about the vehicle not been able to climb a steep slope). This problem i guess is particular to your friends vehicle related..

Regarding the workshop trying to swap turbo from rx7 i presume...i guess they cant do that as rx7 the automatic version uses vgt where as rx5 the manual version uses fgt...i dont think they can just replace the turbo to troubleshoot...
Old 12th April 2013, 19:33   #19
BHPian

Mahindra dealer refusing to help a customer in distress...
This behavior can drive away prospective customers for Rexton and probably even for Korando if they are planning to launch it.
Old 12th April 2013, 19:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anshuman,

I hope that your friend's car issue gets resolved earlier and would drive fine.

What surprises me is the attitude of M&M ASC saying that they are not going to touch the car. That is fine, but they can assist this high end product customer in coordination and direction.
M&M- please step in and resolve this customers problem.

Rexton, sure looks promising but lacks 'quality' image from its earlier run globally(limited). Which is why I am looking at other manufacturers this time for a new SUV, inspite of being a loyal two time Scorpio customer for M&M.
Old 12th April 2013, 21:29   #21
BHPian

May be you can contact Anand Mahindra directly through his twitter handle to help you out.
Old 13th April 2013, 00:52   #22
Pal
BHPian

For the few uninitiated,

This is a Engine Malfunction Indicator / Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). It is a visual indicator to the driver of a certain 'fault', something like a notification and similarily, it refuses to go off till 'cleared' from the memory - in this case memory of the onboard computer.

Now, the service centre guys would've surely plugged in the diagnostic software and the exact Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) would've helped them guide through the problem. Its not that difficult afterall if you have even a moderately experienced hand. But I guess the A.S.S. technicians only cleared the DTC and not the actual problem the first time up and probably that explains why it popped up again on the Test drive. (If you can recollect, did the MIL resurface above a certain RPM during your test drive?)

It does seem to be an engine intake (Turbo/ Oxygen sensor), electrical wiring or worse case --- an injector issue. (Any expert irritated with my answer is welcome to correct me!)
Also- found this on wikipedia:
"Higher amounts of methanol/ethanol (or other additives) than the engine is equipped to handle may trigger the MIL (see E85). These burn differently from gasoline, and the EFI system may mistakenly interpret the oxygen sensor's readings as being incorrect. Oxygenated gasoline can cause this false triggering in early EFI system."

On a lighter note, have some heart. With the N. Koreans acting all cocky, the MnM guys must be having difficulty getting through to their S. Korean counterparts for 'vishesh tipni' / expert advice!

Awaiting the the end result..
Pal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 01:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8763 View Post
May be you can contact Anand Mahindra directly through his twitter handle to help you out.
+1

I had sent my XUV to the service center thrice for a couple of problems and all came back as it is. I tweeted Anand Mahindra and got a call within 2 hours from their Regional head. They then went ahead and overnighted parts from their factory to fix this issue the next day.

Don't think twice. His twitter handle is "anandmahindra"
tusharsethi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 10:52   #24
BHPian

On my recent visit to Mahindra dealership for getting my colleagues scorpio serviced i saw a Rexton atthe service bay, all dirty and unattended,i asked the service engineer whats wrong with the vehicle he said ''Sir its a mystery'',the car is with us for more than a month and it doesn't start. He further said that all they can do is send emails across to get any help but its a pretty slow process. The vehicle had an odo reading of just 2400 Kms.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:09   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, they have found that some part in Turbo is problematic, So, they have done some makeshift Jugaad to Turbo and Delivered the car back. They have ordered the Part(not sure if it is complete turbocharger), they are asking for minimum 20 days before part arrives.

They say this Jugaad will hold on well, i have doubts, so this Rexton might be limited to city use only at low rpm, being the only car he owns right now he will have to make alternate arrangements for out of city travel. Spent 20Lakh rupees and still paying for a Taxi.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th April 2013 at 11:19.
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 16:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, they have found that some part in Turbo is problematic
Whaao!! Sad to note this with a Mercedes engine based vehicle. I thought the Rexton would be super reliable due to the antiquated (read less electronics) Mercedes technology used for Indian conditions.

New vehicles are a learning curve especially for Mahindra dealerships used to mostly the WWII technology jeeps. Its newer vehicles like XUV etc. are also facing niggling electronic issues. Hopefully if they have identified the part and the car works well after the replacement then it should not be such a major issue. The typical Mahindra customer should be mentally prepared for such issues because although they have been building rural vehicles for ages, they are still a nascent mass market vehicle company IMHO.
Old 13th April 2013, 16:29   #27

I should warn my friend who just decided to buy a Rexton. These things are scary.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:51   #28
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Reading the thread makes me wonder on how much Mahindra is ill-prepared to solve problems with their premium offering.

Mahindra should actually use their fast-growing service networks as a USP.
Old 13th April 2013, 20:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

This is one bad news I hated to hear, before a first review on T-Bhp, I am looking at a bad experience of Rexton / A$$. One reason I am keeping my eyes away from Rexton, despite my heart all goes for it
Old 13th April 2013, 21:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Also- found this on wikipedia:
"Higher amounts of methanol/ethanol (or other additives) than the engine is equipped to handle may trigger the MIL (see E85). These burn differently from gasoline, and the EFI system may mistakenly interpret the oxygen sensor's readings as being incorrect. Oxygenated gasoline can cause this false triggering in early EFI system."
Isn't the vehicle in question a diesel?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks