Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 13:58   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Posting the thread here has worked, Mahindra Support has finally woken up to offer what a 20 Lakh Rupee car owner deserves. My Friend got a call from Mahindra Regional Office yeaterday, he forwarded the call to me, i listed out the concerns raised in post#1.

The effect- The part which was to arrive in 20 days in standard procedure has reached the service center already. Regional office has arranged to pick up and drop for the Rexton, they are also offering a replacement vehicle- XUV500 till the vehicle is in workshop.

I have also raised my concern on service centers not attending Rexton in case of breakdown, they've noted down the details and promised to look into the matter.

What remains to be seen is- if this is one off case, or every Rexton customer will be treated in the same manner.
.anshuman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 14:21   #32
BHPian

re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

A typical case of Mahindra R&D at the customer's expense!
The problems I had to go through to get a few niggles resolved on my Thar are too lengthy for this forum!
cpbopanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 14:38   #33
BHPian

I am glad to note that starting a thread here made mahindra take up the case more seriously.

But is that what it takes to get M&M's attention ?? Are they more serious about their brand perception than the reliability of the brand itself ??

A person pays 20 lakhs of his hard earned money on a car which is guaranteed to serve him well and then he gets stranded on the Highway. I know this is OT but a hatch costing 1/10th of that amount would have had better reliability .

Even if one looks at the limp mode incident as a one off case, the dismissal attitude from side mahindra to get to the root of the problem is shocking, specially since this is in relation to their most premium offering !!

I am sorry but introducing new cars year after year will lead to no good . Improving the after sales services is what matters most. And this is the reason why Toyota and the likes charge a premium and customers pay for it readily. Our homegrown brands still have a long-long way to go.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 14th April 2013 at 14:40.
Old 14th April 2013, 22:55   #34
Team-BHP Support

Good that some senior official follows team-bhp, but sad that it had to come to this level. Since Mahindra is following this thread - requesting you to reconsider this decision not to attend premium cars like Rexton in ordinary Mahindra workshops even in emergency situations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi,

how new is this vehicle? Is it being driven with the proper care that should be given during the "break-in" period?
Irrelevant!

Even though a run-in is still adviceable for modern cars, gone are the days when a car will breakdown if not handled with proper care. Even if it was gunned from day one - it should not breakdown so fast. Engine life may get reduced by few thousand kilometers, but the results might be visible in ten thousands and even lakhs of kilometers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 23:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
What is with these turbos? I heard stories of many blown turbos, across makes. I think big displacement NA (non-turbo) engines are better. Do they really have to shrink cc and add a turbo? This is the general trend on diesel cars. I wonder if they are right.
Yes, undoubtedly the trend is right. NA engines have several limitations/ challenges like meeting current emission and fuel norms. Usually NA engines are poor fuel efficient and power to weight ratio is also not encouraging. In general, one can obtain around 15% more power from the same engine cc, by using a properly matched turbocharger. Turbocharging is, not only the trend in diesel but also in gasoline engines globaly. Turbo blows may be one instance by its own, since its operation environment is highly challenging - operates as high as 300,000 rpm (based on the turbo size and engine operating mode) and exposes to high temperature like 700-780degC in diesel and close to 1000degC in gasoline.

Turbocharger is one of the complex engineering solutions witnessed by world, where few of the highly intriguing engineering areas viz. rotodynamics, lubrication, heat transfer, fluid dynamics etc. becomes crucial. So irrespective of manufcturer all turbos are well designed, tested extensively and ensure high quality build and hence safety. It is very common practice to abuse turbo for its failure by not conducting a proper RCA (root cause analysis), a trend is been observed in servicing sector. Majority of turbo failures are due to forgein object hitting and hence damaging the compressor blades. Similar can happen on turbine wheel as well. Servicing personnel's lack of knowledge worsen scenario. Turbo may be one of the hatred components (due to its high cost) in owners eye when it calls for replacement out of warranty.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/basic this link may help to provide further informations on turbochargers. One can find similar informations from other tubo manufactures as well.

another link: http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo2.htm

Similar to any other products turbo do have limitations and not fail proof. Thanks to all turbo and engine manufacturers who does heavy R&D to improve turbo performance and eliminate several myths, similar to the one quoted.

Thanks.
sujithpnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 00:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8763 View Post
May be you can contact Anand Mahindra directly through his twitter handle to help you out.
I had sent a tweet to Mr. Anand Mahindra about this. To which, he responded within no time. I have attached a screen shot of my twitter page for your reference.
Attached Images

byomjeet is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 00:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

@.anshuman - Have they mentioned what part has failed? To me it sounds like the waste gate is stuck open and because of this the turbo is not producing any boost.
vikram_d is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 01:14   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
@.anshuman - Have they mentioned what part has failed? To me it sounds like the waste gate is stuck open and because of this the turbo is not producing any boost.
Will check with them. These RMs know nothing about cars.
Old 15th April 2013, 06:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Depends on the TC model # - the inlet pipe from the Air Intake to TC could have slipped off - Sounds too simple but it happened to my Hyundai Accent CRDi many years back within 700 kms of buying the car and was out on the highway at 2300 hrs.

And as usual I limped back to Chennai thanks to the useless A.*.S

In general most of these helplines / call centres have no clue as to what is happening - the only consolation is your complaint is logged in a database!!

Last edited by headers : 15th April 2013 at 06:48.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 07:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Depends on the TC model # - the inlet pipe from the Air Intake to TC could have slipped off - Sounds too simple but it happened to my Hyundai Accent CRDi many years back within 700 kms of buying the car and was out on the highway at 2300 hrs.
I'm sure that Mahindra service is not so incompetent that it would take them 20 days to figure out something so simple. Moreover they would have noticed this when they tried to replace the turbo from the test drive vehicle. Also according to what has been mentioned here they have concentrated on the turbo since day one. So I'm sure they would have noticed something so simple.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 08:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Irrelevant!

Even though a run-in is still adviceable for modern cars, gone are the days when a car will breakdown if not handled with proper care. Even if it was gunned from day one - it should not breakdown so fast. Engine life may get reduced by few thousand kilometers, but the results might be visible in ten thousands and even lakhs of kilometers.
Its clearly mentioned in most vehicle's manuals that you should not use the brakes sharply during the first 300 Kms. Its also mentioned in most manuals that you've got to prevent the rpms from going beyond 2500kms during the first 1500kms.

There are also articles in team-bhp on vehicle engine break-ins, posted by some of our highly regarded members!

So this fact is never irrelevant.

Last but not least, when you're starting a turbo charged vehicle for the first time, you should let it idle for about one minute so that the cooling oil may circulate throughout, ensuring proper cooling. Likewise, at the end of your journey, let the engine idle for about a minute or so, so that the oil circulation is not stopped suddenly. Both these practices can save and increase the life of your turbo. Else, when the turbo is suddenly sprung to action or cut, the cooling process may go haywire, resulting in uneven wear and tear or even damage to the turbo.

Last edited by nitinbose : 15th April 2013 at 08:29.
Old 15th April 2013, 08:51   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

hi,
What i understood from lot of reviews in TBHP,owning myself a list of M&M vehicles,spending sleepless nights in ASC and chasing SAP nos is that one should limit himself to a max extend of 10Lacs , +/- 2Lacs on a Mahindra product till M&M understand their products,customers,upgrades their customer care,educates ASC fully and they matures to the next level..

Last edited by Rajith : 15th April 2013 at 08:54.
Rajith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 09:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Proper idling at start-up and shut-down also plays an important role in keeping the turbocharger in good health and should be performed as a daily routine.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Proper idling at start-up and shut-down also plays an important role in keeping the turbocharger in good health and should be performed as a daily routine.
IMO, I believe this is also true of NA engines. One notices people starting the engine in the morning and then high revving at idle . Surest way to reduce engine life by 50%.

An alternative mostly suggested by manufacturers and for more modern engines is to drive very gently and sedately for at least a few minutes both when starting and parking the car. If one wants to push when starting or before parking/stopping, then it is best for a couple of minutes idle each time.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Let's not jump the gun here. We don't even know what has failed in the turbo. Let's wait to hear about the actual problem. So as of now we cannot assume start-up and shut down procedures to a cause for the turbo failure.

@Anshuman - Can you post the DTC that was recorded when they scanned the ECU?
vikram_d is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed