Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2006, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Zen with LPG ?

Hi friends..

I am looking for used ZEN car & Planning to convert to LPG..

What do u all advice ? With skyrocketing price of petrol its too tough to manage..

Does LPG damages Engines in long term ? I am planning to take Lovato Kit..

Please guide me anyone who have got an idea on this..
Old 19th May 2006, 17:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash2757
Hi friends..

I am looking for used ZEN car & Planning to convert to LPG..

What do u all advice ? With skyrocketing price of petrol its too tough to manage..

Does LPG damages Engines in long term ? I am planning to take Lovato Kit..

Please guide me anyone who have got an idea on this..
As long as use an approved kit and get it done at an approved center you should be ok. And yes, getting it done on a pre-owned car is the smartest move. Just ensure that the car you pick up does not have much problems.

LPG will cause a minor drop in power (4-5% max). But that won't be so apparent in normal course. However, if you try to scale an incline with 4 or 5 well built people you may just make out that the car is running out of breathe. Otherwise no issues. And no, there is no evidence to suggest that it kills your engine. If anything LPG is far cleaner than the petrol.

By the way, why Zen? It is cramped as it is. After fitting in the LPG tank it will waste up whatever little space you otherwise have in the hatch. IMO, a pre-owned wagon-r makes a far better sense for this conversion... It has sufficient space in the rear hatch and justtttt may leave u with some more space after fitting the kit.

So, how does it cost you to get a Lovato kit fitted?
Old 19th May 2006, 18:48   #3
BHPian

Thanks for reply.. I will be going for small stepney kind tank of 30 litrs, Dont need Jumbo tank of 65 Litrs, Such tank can be fitted easily.. so I can use back space totally. I dont like Tempo look of Wagon R. Somehow I never liked that look. Zen is the best looking small baby ..

For LPG kit, I m bit confused b/w Lovato & Tartarini.. Tartarini is said to be best for MPFI engine. can anyone help me on this ? I m not sure.. nobody helped me on this.. I am very much new to this forum.. but response is amazing..

Thank U admin again for making this place so nice..

P.S.. I am looking for zen too in Bangalore .. Anything above 2000, LXi, Silver Colour only.. Anyone can help me ?
Old 19th May 2006, 20:18   #4
BHPian

Prakash...I recently got my Ikon retrofitted with a Minda-Impco kit. Lovato too is fine, but go in for a closed loop kit. And yeah, you can go for the kits which fit in ure spare wheel space, so I guess there should be no issue of space with Zen. But just make sure that the zen has no major engine problems and has good suspension to take care of the extra weight. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers!!!
Old 20th May 2006, 21:10   #5
BHPian

Kishore Thank U for the info. I have asked in Bangalore. Not much dealers for Minda-Impco kit, Well didnt find even 1 dealer. Here Lovato, Star Gas & Tartarini is rocking. but none of my friends using LPG. so i m confused now which one to take..

Lovato is oldest one in India, but still everyone says, Lovato kits dont run good for MPFI engines. its good for carburator onces. FOr MPFI , Tartirini is good. Can anyone help me on this ?
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:19   #6

LPG Conversion

Hi,

I had bought a Zen (98 model) and planning to convert it to LPG. Key reason being the cost as I assume it should reduce my cost upto 60-70%. Can anyone let me know if its ok to convert Zen to LPG. One drawback that i can forsee is that my rear diki space will be consumed by the cylinder, but are there any technical issues relate to LPG? Your commenst and suggestion are highly appreciated.

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: Threads Merged. Please continue your discussion here.

Last edited by adya33 : 22nd May 2006 at 19:20.
Old 23rd May 2006, 07:01   #7
BHPian

sushrutha, thanks for the info. I am in touch with 3 True value dealers.. Well I need Power Steering & AC. Dont need central lock, fog lamps, etc.. So I am counting on LXi which is just perfect. But then i need Silver colour (Cool Silver Or moon beam Silver ) .. So its taking time.. Let me see if I get something..

Anyone Please reply for my LPG Question ?
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:14   #8
BHPian

there will really be not a great difference in an LXI-VXI Second Hand Version...However Fog Lamps are a neccessity than luxury..as they enhance safety and vision in bad weather.
Central Locking- Bane or Boon....I really don't mind...!
See if you find a colour as per your choice...or better still you can go for a re-paint at a good paint booth...not so very expensive these days...Plus as far as I had heard that Some Insurance companies offer full labour and Paint cost if you get the car repainted at a Dulux Paint Booth..!
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
Plus as far as I had heard that Some Insurance companies offer full labour and Paint cost if you get the car repainted at a Dulux Paint Booth..!
Sounds highly unlikely. Insurance is to insure against eventualities. If your car gets crashed, banged and all that. They won't pay for your whimsies. You fancy a different color and want to repaint your car. Fine do that. Why should insurance pay for that?

Wolf buddy I think that idea is a mere hearsay.
Old 24th May 2006, 05:51   #10
BHPian

Wolf, Insurance company will pay only when car is damanged. So I think I have to take a white colour car, bang it & then repaint it ..

VXi has got extra things like fog lamps, back cleaner, central lock which I dont need at all.. me fine with Power St. & Ac.. ooops, topic chnaged.

Anyone advice on LPG pls..
Old 5th July 2010, 15:13   #11
BHPian

Sorry to wake this sleeping thread.

Prakash did you do the conversion? I am now thinking of doing the conversion. Guys what do you think is it fesible now a days. (the use of lpg)
Old 6th July 2010, 00:48   #12
BHPian

@xenxer: are you looking for a conversion in a zen?

i've been using a LPG converted carb Esteem for the past 2 months now and i feel that the running cost for LPG are the same as petrol if driven in the city, for Rs.500 worth of petrol my car does 140kms and for Rs.500 worth of LPG my car does the same 140kms. but in petrol i have the power advantage over LPG.

the only advantage while driving in LPG is during long trips Rs.500 worth LPG gives me 170kms but petrol 160kms
but taking consideration of the expense to get the kit installed and the servicing plus lugging around the weight of a steel tank in the boot... I feel its not really worth.

you've gotta seriously weigh the pros and cons before you make the move.

cheers
Saud.

Last edited by msaudf : 6th July 2010 at 00:55.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:49   #13
BHPian

thank you Boss. That's an advice by experience. Since now the LPG rates are increased everyone is advicing against LPG conversion.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:53   #14
BHPian

hi guys..
I had LPG kit fitted to a Santro - this was about 5 years back.
At that time, with Petrol being around 50 and LPG around 28, it was working to be about 30 to 40% lower cost.

The BIGGEST problem in LPG kit is about tuning. It is very tough to get the right tuner who can tune it properly. And somehow the tuning has to be redone every few thousands of kms. If not, it does not work that well - and finally you dont get the intended savings.

Mine was a open loop kit, but with a closed loop kit, i belive it is much better. However, the cost of a closed loop kit is prohibitive and it may be easily 50k kms before you regain the cost of your investment.

DO i regret converting to LPG? No. I think it was a good experiment that i tried - and it made me smile everytime i filled her up. The only thing is, by the time i recovered the investment, i sold her away. Dont expect much value to be attributed to the kit..
Old 6th July 2010, 17:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
thank you Boss. That's an advice by experience. Since now the LPG rates are increased everyone is advicing against LPG conversion.

I don't think the cost of Auto LPG has been raised. It is the subsidy for home LPG that has been reduced.

Most Viewed