Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:59   #16
BHPian

Thanx nitrous... we people get really worried when something like this happen
Old 22nd May 2006, 17:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

If the car is running in dusty conditions, it would help if the radiator is cleaned

Also the use of genuine thermostatic sensors are necessary
Old 11th July 2006, 23:43   #18
BHPian

Finally I have a clue

Went through the thread "800 consuming coolant"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-coolant.html

I have been working on the issue for long now.
The issue disappeared for a couple of days after the main hose that connects the radiator to the engine was replaced and after that another hose that’s smaller than the main hose gave up .

But after a few days the car started overheating again.

I haven’t been driving for the last two weeks , have been out of Delhi . The last time i drove, the car got heated up and there was a whistling sound from the engine with engine misfiring.
As soon as i opened the hood the reservoir lid was open and the coolant was boiling .
I was on the Noida expressway hence getting coolant was impossible.

Got some water and filled up the radiator-- it was empty . checked for leaks -- did not find any leaks this time.
As soon as i started the car the car started missing and died at idle .
any ways i drove and parked the car at my house and haven’t driven since then .

Today in the morning i filled up the radiator with water again and started the car. The fan came up after some reeving and later it stopped after the radiator cooled I opened it again --- Surprise its empty again . No leaks at all.

Going back to the thread looked for white smoke -- here we go the car is emitting white smoke and also dies at idle and is missing.

Looks like a perfect example of head gasket leak .

Will take the car to MASS on Thursday .

Is there anything else that I should see and will it be ok to drive the car for 10-15 km . will cool it at every 5-7 Km .

also once I am at mass what all things should be changed and checked . How much should replace the HG cost.

Last edited by bhogalrajnish : 11th July 2006 at 23:50.
Old 11th July 2006, 23:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dude dont let your car overheat again and again.Will cause the cylinder block to crack due to the heat and dont know what not.Get it towed to a mass.Thats the perfect and easy solution rather than causing permanent engine damage and causing even more expensive repairs.
Old 15th July 2006, 23:48   #20
BHPian

Finally I think I got it fixed.

Well Finally on thursday I took the car to Mangalam Motors -- Noida.

The car was still missing .
As soon as the mechanic opened the Oil cap he found that there was water in it .
Replaced the Head gaskit with completre service and oil change.

mangalam motors took 7 hrs for everything but by the end of it the car looks and drives really good .
The aceleration now is really good and the best part no overheating now.
Hope it runs like this for long.

The last thing on my mind was that they found that the Coolent Valve (Valve between the radiator and the engine)was jam they did not have one in stock and the guy removed the one that was there as it was intrupting coolant flow. Will it be ok to drive without the valve .
The explanation for the valve given to me was that is used for cold starting so that the engine heats up fast. How true is that...
Old 16th July 2006, 00:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish
Well Finally on thursday I took the car to Mangalam Motors -- Noida.

The car was still missing .
As soon as the mechanic opened the Oil cap he found that there was water in it .
Replaced the Head gaskit with completre service and oil change.

mangalam motors took 7 hrs for everything but by the end of it the car looks and drives really good .
The aceleration now is really good and the best part no overheating now.
Hope it runs like this for long.

The last thing on my mind was that they found that the Coolent Valve (Valve between the radiator and the engine)was jam they did not have one in stock and the guy removed the one that was there as it was intrupting coolant flow. Will it be ok to drive without the valve .
The explanation for the valve given to me was that is used for cold starting so that the engine heats up fast. How true is that...
Bhogalrajnish i think u are talking about the thermostate.Thats the one which has chances of getting stuck.When your engine is cold it does not let the coolant circulate so that your engine reaches its operating temperature.As the engine reaches a specific temperature the valve opens and lets the coolant circulate.Removing this will cause the coolant to always circulate and your engine wont run at its operating temperature which will lead to a loss of mileage as well as power as engine requires to reach its operating temperature for maximum efficiency.
Also the engine will take more than normal time to heat up while starting for the first time in the morning.Guys correct me if i am wrong
Old 16th July 2006, 00:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Bhogalrajnish i think u are talking about the thermostate.Thats the one which has chances of getting stuck.When your engine is cold it does not let the coolant circulate so that your engine reaches its operating temperature.As the engine reaches a specific temperature the valve opens and lets the coolant circulate.Removing this will cause the coolant to always circulate and your engine wont run at its operating temperature which will lead to a loss of mileage as well as power as engine requires to reach its operating temperature for maximum efficiency.
Also the engine will take more than normal time to heat up while starting for the first time in the morning.Guys correct me if i am wrong
absolutely bulls eye. good diagnosis.
moreover u engine parts will start to WEAR OFF faster than normal. engine can fail too.
ur mechs want to see u soon to get ur babe a complete overhaul and a Fatter bill.

dude get it fixed asap it costs nothing more than 300 to 500 bucks i suppose for esteem.
its such a small part but plays a significant role in operating temperature of ur cars engine.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 16th July 2006 at 01:01.
Old 11th August 2006, 18:13   #23
BHPian

Hi Bhogalrajnish,...
I had similar problems with my Esteem. Initially got the Head gasket changed 2 times within 8-9 months span. Then because of over heat the Head's layout didn't fit on the block. So I had to get it phased. Next time (after six months) Got the cylinder block phased out to match the head. NEXT I replaced the head with a new one. It would have continued if I had not sold it off.
Some tips:-
To check if its happening again ...open the lid of the radiator (obviously when engine is cool) and see if it has some oil content mixed up with the coolant. (Your fingers will feel slippery) If you find no oil that's great!!
But if you feel its there to verify it, keep the lid open of the radiator and ask some one to start the engine. Keep yourself at safe distance as the coolant can come up like a fountain.Ask the person to rev the engine quickly 3-4 times for from 1000 rpm to 3500 rpm. If you see coolant coming out with pressure it means that the head needs treatment again. But if not the car is good to drive.!!
Avoid using A/C in traffic Jams (I know its not easy)
Get the coolant pipes thoroughly checked. Sometimes there is a mild leakage at the O-Ring of the pipe on the back of piston cylinder and because cylinder is hot the coolant drops get evaporated and leaves no mark.
Get the timing checked...even ask mechanic to tweak it so that engine don't get overheated.
Increase the cooling capacity of the radiator fan by using a 6 leaf fan wing of Alto (You can get it for around Rs. 100-150 from Jama Masjid. )

Check the fan of A/C to confirm its not running reverse.

Thanks
Rohit

Last edited by rohitbagai : 11th August 2006 at 18:19.
Old 11th August 2006, 18:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

guys, the esteem has an all aluminium engine, it will heat up in a few minutes to more than 50%, it is no cause for worry, as long as it does not get into the red zone. it will also cool down as fast as it heats up. so just relax & enjoy ur drive, people.

p.s. if u still feel that it heats up too fast, contact MASS
Old 13th August 2006, 01:49   #25
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I thought .. the MPFI's had a good temp control... for one my wagonR and Alto have never ever operated even 1mm more/less than the usual temp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks