Team-BHP - Esteem heating up.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Esteem heating up. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/13520-esteem-heating-up.html)

Hi ,
My 2001 Esteem MPFI seems to be heating up after driven for 20-25 KM. The Temp needle rises from 1/2 to 3/4. I checked the coolant and water level it looks perfect though I still topped the radiator up with coolant. What can be the problem . There are no leaks at all and the car was serviced recently. Also the A/C seems to be pulling up more power than normal though the car heats up even if the A/C is not running . The radiator fan also looks fine though it seems that it starts too often.

To
Moderator , Please shift the topic to Technical Stuff . Submited it here by mistake.

Dear Friend do you get any other visible signs to make sure it is heating up?Like knocking etc....Why don't you visit MASS and show your car to them for inspection?When u last changed your coolant?Kindly post all info in future when you comeup with any prob and request a solution from others in forum.Thx.

Is your Radiator Fan All-right..! It looks like the thermostat is not working properly , hence causing Fan not to work properly...Get the Fan-Thermostat checked out. Had similar issue in my old Uno D

If the fan is ok, check if it is misfiring, It can aslo heat up the engine

Though it is highly unlikely in a MPFI engine.

plzzzzz get ur ecu checked......i think that could be the culprit......also yuor ac thermostat

Your indication of the temp rising, i.e., 3/4th isn't really a cause of worry. Its not something you need to worry about unless it goes into the red zone. It is summer and that sometimes does lead to increased temperatures. You could check if your radiator fan is cutting in at the right temperature. Your temp control switch may be faulty.

The Air-fuel mixture might be running lean.Check that.
Also, the summer can be a reason. :)

If all else seems ok. Consider purging the cooling system and replacing the coolant. Overtime it loses its antirusting capabilities and the insides of the cooling system starts getting clogged up with gunk preventing free flow of the coolant.

the ecu is programmed to edit the other processes of the car and curb the engine from heating up.....surely something is horrible wrong that the temperature gauge goes above half......should never go in an mpfi car

I had a similar fright last weekend. I had reached home around midnight on Friday p.m and heard some hissing sound coming from the car when i got down to open the gate and saw a puddle of water near the left wheel, so I touched the front of the car to see if it was overheated and also touched the water and tried to smell if it smelt of anything other than water (it didnt). Then coz it was late and it had been raining, i thought i would look into it in the morning.

Forgot about it until i had to leave for the airport in the evening. I kept a watch on the panel to see if the indicator was rising and sure enough within a couple of km the indicator rose to 3/4th. I immediately shut off the aircon, slowed down my speed and started looking around for the nearest workshop. Found one within 1/2 km and drove right in and had the mechanic look into it. he found the hose pipe cracked and hissing. The mechanic confirmed that the radiator was close to empty. Got the hose pipe changed and coolant and water topped up and then drove onto the airport - thankfully the flight was late and my mom did not have to wait an extra half an hour for me.

Quote:

I had a similar fright last weekend. I had reached home around midnight on Friday p.m and heard some hissing sound coming from the car when i got down to open the gate and saw a puddle of water near the left wheel, so I touched the front of the car to see if it was overheated and also touched the water and tried to smell if it smelt of anything other than water (it didnt). Then coz it was late and it had been raining, i thought i would look into it in the morning.

Forgot about it until i had to leave for the airport in the evening. I kept a watch on the panel to see if the indicator was rising and sure enough within a couple of km the indicator rose to 3/4th. I immediately shut off the aircon, slowed down my speed and started looking around for the nearest workshop. Found one within 1/2 km and drove right in and had the mechanic look into it. he found the hose pipe cracked and hissing. The mechanic confirmed that the radiator was close to empty. Got the hose pipe changed and coolant and water topped up and then drove onto the airport - thankfully the flight was late and my mom did not have to wait an extra half an hour for me.
Similar incident here too.
About 3 weeks back, i noticed the temp. gauge rise quite steeply and by the time i reached my home, the radiator fan was running at high speed. I parked the car inside and popped the hood.Noticed that the coolant tank was dry.I waited for a couple of hours for it to cool and then filled it. Next morning, i check again and as i guessed, there was a leak. It took me around 5 minutes to find the radiator hose busted.

I got a new 'motorcraft' hose for 1600 bucks.

This happened to me to:Cheering:

Once the ac fan relay had gone bad and the fan stopped i did not notice this until the car came to a complete halt. then called the Race car helpline guy and he told me that the ac fan is not working and he also told to to directly connect the radiator fan as its summer and you know delhi heat, so got the AC relay changed and the a jumper is connected in the radiator fan every thing is fine now. i take the car occassionaly for long drives and every thing is fine now (touch wood)

Hi,
In my esteem (2004), The needle comes to little more than half even if i travel 10 kms in the day time.
Can any one tell me what should be the minim displacement of needle in this condition?

bhogalrajnish,
try cleaning the air-filter and check the fan-belt for tension.
also check for oil-levels.
if these small checks doesnot helps, then better take your car to service station.

Quote:

Hi,
In my esteem (2004), The needle comes to little more than half even if i travel 10 kms in the day time.
Can any one tell me what should be the minim displacement of needle in this condition?
Thats very normal.
Only if the meter is showing near/at the red-line.U should be worried :)