Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2006, 23:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Oil Filter Importance queries

Hey guys i had this wiered problem(dont know if u can call this a problem at all).Whenever i used to start my maruti 800 in the morning for the first time the oil pressure light used to remain on even after the engine started for say 3 to 4 seconds after which it used to go off and never used to come back again whenever i started the car again.After the oil change in the car the problem was solved and as soon as the engine was started the oil light used to go.But no sooner the oil was around 3000 km old the same 3 to 4 seconds the light used to remain.So my concern grew a little and searched the internet for it.
The problem turned out to be the Oil filter check valve leaking which would cause the oil to flow back to the sump and every morning the car is started the oil pump has to fill the oil filter first and then the oil flows to the engine.
It said this could damage the engine bearing in the long run as the engine was running without oil for that 3 to 4 seconds
I wanted to enquire with u guys that is this the cause of concern?Does this happen to u guys also?should i change my oil filter?my oil change is due in sometime so should i wait till then?give me your suggestions
Old 21st May 2006, 10:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Technical gurus.. shed some light on this topic....
Old 21st May 2006, 14:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

IS the level of oil in dipstick correct??
Old 21st May 2006, 16:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes Nitrous the level of oil in the dip stick is correct.Is this actually a problem or does it happen in all carbureted vehicles becasue in carbureted vehicles there is no ECU to raise the engine rpm when it is started and the engie is cold so the idling is pretty much rough and less.Could this be the cause of the oil light stay for 3 to 4 seconds?
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

No one Is replying guys..please tech gurus shed some light.
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
The problem turned out to be the Oil filter check valve leaking which would cause the oil to flow back to the sump and every morning the car is started the oil pump has to fill the oil filter first and then the oil flows to the engine.
So since that seems to be the diagnosis, and a pretty suitable one, what are you asking?

If you should get it fixed? - I would say yes. Do it asap.

cya
R
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

HI humyum,

Every time you change the Engine Oil, the oil filter is to be changed complusorily.

I'm not clear from your report as to whether this has been done!!

Please note that the engine oil is used to clean the engine and the oil filter is used to filter the oil and ensure the shelf life.. Thats why engine oils are recommended to be changed every 4K or 5K kms..
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Headers dude i change the oil filter everytime i change the engine oil
Old 24th May 2006, 14:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Usually if the light goes off little late, it means 1) A partially blocked filter or 2) Low oil level or 3) even a faulty pressure switch. You mentioned that when you change a filter the light goes off immediately, so No.3 seems out. Most filter used are free flow types without any valves, so I don't know about the flowing back part of it, but most have a by pass so that if the filter gets clogged then oil by passes the filter and goes to the engine. (Dirty oil is better than no oil) It appears to me that you maybe clogging your filters in less than the normal period. Do you do some really dust roads or is there a leak in your inlet manifold?
Old 25th May 2006, 13:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys used engine flush,changed the oil filter and also the engine oil with castrol magnatec and the car starting and the engine oil light going off has reduced to around 2 seconds while starting the car for the first time in the morning..So is this acceptable now?
Old 25th May 2006, 13:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yeah buddy, 2 seconds seems acceptable. Ensure it does not come back again!!
Old 25th May 2006, 13:48   #12
BHPian

To be precise, oil pressure light should light up when ever the engine is off for quite a some time. The morning thingh is ok, but you say it never comes on again during the day, when if parked for sometime it should. can someone using magnatec comment on this? maybe this is a property of the magnatec. That magnet concept or is this a partially malfunctioning oil pressure switch????
Old 25th May 2006, 16:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey sumit i mean to say that the oil pressure light comes and stays for 2 seconds now only when i start the car for the first time in the morning after which when i switch on the ignition the oil pressure light along all the other lights (brake,battery light) does come on but as soon as i turn the starter and the car starts all the lights vanish including the oil light.
One more thing i wanted to ask u guys.Last time i had put GTX magnatec something and the colour was black but this time i put magnatec and its almost like white colour kinds.If i remove the dipstick to check the oil u can hardly make out wheater the oil is present or no due to its colour.I was told that after a few hundred km the colour will turn back to black.Is this so?
Old 25th May 2006, 16:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Could it be that the first time you start your car in the morning the oil isnt as viscous as it should be ( i mean its thick and settled down) ...after a few seconds it gets viscous due to circulation and ....and your oil light goes off ?

Is this possible gurus ?
Old 25th May 2006, 20:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hmm yeah maybe that could be or maybe as all the oil is settled in the sump and as its a carbureted car and as soon as i start the car the idling is way below the normal engine idle rpm because there is no ecu to rev the engine so the oil pump is rolling at a very low speed which leads to the oil light stay for 2 min.
hey and about the question of the colour of castrol magnatec being almost whitish..is it true..is it this colour?and will the colour change after a few hundred kilometers?

Last edited by humyum : 25th May 2006 at 20:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks