Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2006, 18:25   #16
BHPian

great writeup Samrat. Thanks a lot.

But 2 questions :

Maintenance - ----------------------Up by 20 % ----------Down by 5% ?? Why ??

Is there CNG in Chennai ?
Old 8th June 2006, 23:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
CNG is Rs.19 per KG against LPG of Rs.30 per KG- Petrol is Rs.50 Per Lt ( Delhi rates)
How can LPG be 30 bucks in Delhi when it is 23 bucks in Mumbai???
Old 8th June 2006, 23:44   #18
BHPian

The same way petrol in Mumbai is Rs.60 against Rs.50 in Delhi..!

BTW Samrat..Power loss in CNG and LPG is almost the same( Technically you may be correct with the figure..however I think its a little too much on CNG than it really is..Practically its all the same)...However you cannot call it a power loss..Its just that the Gas fill's in the combustion chamber because of its volume than petrol...and if you've driven a CNG or LPG Vehicle they are almost same in drive...!

There is also a new device called an Advanced Ignition Timer..which is specifically designed to remove the So called Lag from a CNG engine..!

The right equipment goes a long way in keeping performance and maintaince..as rightly suggested by you on the different LPG systems you have on different cars.

Towards the end, All I can say is that we may have different opinions on both kits...But I suggest go and try a drive on both and you will know which one suits your driving style better...For me CNG was as good as LPG..however with the advanced timer..I felt a much better reponse in CNG. ( Test Drove a Friends TATA XETA CNG , Test Drove a Friends TATA V2 LPG , this was quite some time back and CNG drive was recently after which I booked Mine)

Last edited by wolfinstein : 8th June 2006 at 23:53.
Old 9th June 2006, 10:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein

BTW Samrat..Power loss in CNG and LPG is almost the same( Technically you may be correct with the figure..however I think its a little too much on CNG than it really is..Practically its all the same)...
There is also a new device called an Advanced Ignition Timer..which is specifically designed to remove the So called Lag from a CNG engine..!

The right equipment goes a long way in keeping performance and maintaince..as rightly suggested by you on the different LPG systems you have on different cars.

Towards the end, All I can say is that we may have different opinions on both kits...But I suggest go and try a drive on both and you will know which one suits your driving style better...For me CNG was as good as LPG..however with the advanced timer..I felt a much better reponse in CNG. ( Test Drove a Friends TATA XETA CNG , Test Drove a Friends TATA V2 LPG , this was quite some time back and CNG drive was recently after which I booked Mine)
Hi Wolf,
Good feedback. Thank you. My review is based on discussions wiht different users of CNG- Santro, Accent, and 2 Hondas who had the same issue of power loss, however I agree that none of them had Advanced Ignition Timer. I am keen to find out about the same from an user, preferably in Mumbai. I am also interested to get your review of the XETA CNG.

Thanks
Samrat
Old 9th June 2006, 14:18   #20
BHPian

No Problem Samrat...I'm very much looking forward my XETA to be delivered soon, Probably around the 18 June as assured by the dealership. I will upload a review asap..However can you advise me apart from regular features/pictures/pick-up/FE..what technical details will help..as unfortunately I'm neither a Engineer nor very good with Quantitave queries...! ...!
Old 10th June 2006, 01:58   #21
BHPian

Do any of these kits make use of inputs from the ECU / sensors? It would be a shame to waste all the sensors and intelligence a mordern MPFI engine with a kit that meters the gas based on just throttle position!

What about turbo charging while running on LPG? LPG does have a higher octane value than petrol (correct me if I'm wrong), so technically, we should be able to run much higher boost pressures without knocking, than with regular petrol. I don't suppose any of these kits are "turbo compatible" ?

Slightly off topic, but... are there any alternatives to the ugly black plastic gas filler cap? Has anybody tried fitting the gas filler nozzle inside the same enclosure where the petrol tank filler cap is located?

- T u r b o C -
Old 10th June 2006, 12:42   #22
BHPian

@ Turbo..Yes there is an Array of device which work in collaboration with the Cars existing ECU and Sensors..However the basic controlling of the LPG or CNG is done by a seprate ECU.

Lamda Sensor- Work with the Cars Oxygen sensors and cataylitic converter to modulate emission of gases and other essentials.

Advanced Timing Sensor- Works with the ECU of Both CNG-LPG and Car's OEM ECU to modulate Timing of Ignition so as to control the Lag created due to high speeds and Timing.

Idle Sensor- This is mounted on the CNG or LPG Reducer Unit so as to regulate the Idle RPM.

MPFI Emmulators- These mount on to the Injector unit to control the Injection of Fuel and emmulate the working so as when Gas is being used. ( 1 for each Injector)

There may be more electronic's..although these are only what I could gather...You can speak with individual workshops which deal with Kits, so as they can advise on what Computers you need. As of now TATA Motors recommends use of CNG kit made by Bendini with Advanced Timer ( Euro 3) and at a additional cost you can install the Lamda Sensor.

I have a PDF from Bendini which breaks each individual unit of the CNG kit..If anyone wants it please PM me your email Id's.

The only next alternative to Fuel Lid is that re-fuelling is done from the unit in the Hood. This will be how the XETA is being refuelled.
regards

Last edited by wolfinstein : 10th June 2006 at 12:45.
Old 10th June 2006, 22:36   #23
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but... are there any alternatives to the ugly black plastic gas filler cap? Has anybody tried fitting the gas filler nozzle inside the same enclosure where the petrol tank filler cap is located?

- T u r b o C -[/quote]

Agree with you completely. In fact this is one of the most important points.. for my first LPG installment in my esteem, I had put it outside- later had the nozzle put inside.. now it is not visible from outside... in fact the mechanic should reccomend that to you.

Last edited by Samrat Banerjee : 10th June 2006 at 22:40.
Old 10th June 2006, 22:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
great writeup Samrat. Thanks a lot.

But 2 questions :

Maintenance - ----------------------Up by 20 % ----------Down by 5% ?? Why ??

Is there CNG in Chennai ?
Hi Rayden,
Each time i retrofitted my cars, i debated between LPG vs CNG and spoke to numerous users as well as different mechanics... these percentages are an indication from the feedback i received.

My experience with LPG has been pleasant. No undue maintenance- so i believed my mechanic who insists on a drop in maintenance, whereas CNG users have commented on an increase in maintenance...

Cheers,
Samrat
Old 10th June 2006, 23:11   #25
BHPian

Thanks Samrat.
Do you know if there is CNG in Chennai?
Old 12th June 2006, 10:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
Thanks Samrat.
Hi Rayden,
I am not sure... during my travel to Chennai last couple of times I have seen only LPG, no CNG.

CNG is used mostly in busses and taxis, like in Delhi and Mumbai and it is only transported by road, not through pipelines- as is possible with LPG. Hence if the busses and taxis do not use CNG (as in Chennai), it is most likely not present at all... but that is the logic.. the reality might be otherwise, nevertheless things can change.

In case you are looking at alternate fuel, LPG is a good one to start, because of its lower initial investment, availibility, and similar engine response.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Samrat
Old 12th June 2006, 11:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, it isn't available in chennai.
Old 12th June 2006, 12:11   #28
BHPian

I might be thinking wrong here.. correct me

OHC 1.5 VTEC .. with LPG..

Whatz u say??
Old 12th June 2006, 15:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire
I might be thinking wrong here.. correct me

OHC 1.5 VTEC .. with LPG..

Whatz u say??
I have a OHC Automatic 1.5 with LPG and it runs beautifully... no loss of power... it also has a K&N filter.
Old 12th June 2006, 16:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrat Banerjee
I have a OHC Automatic 1.5 with LPG and it runs beautifully... no loss of power... it also has a K&N filter.
Nice Samrat! what kit are u using

OK but VTEC, I heard will have burnout issues. So I asked. Anybody having experience of LPG on Vtec and if so what kinda would go well with this..and what cost too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks