Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2006, 16:25   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire
Nice Samrat! what kit are u using

OK but VTEC, I heard will have burnout issues. So I asked. Anybody having experience of LPG on Vtec and if so what kinda would go well with this..and what cost too
Hi,
I am not sure about my kit... stupid me.. will check and let you know tomorrow. My mechanic has installed a kit on a VTEC six months back. will speak to the user soon and let you know.
Cheers,
Old 12th June 2006, 17:54   #32
BHPian

Samrat, what is the fuel effeciency you get on your City in petrol and LPG?
Old 13th June 2006, 15:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
No Problem Samrat...I'm very much looking forward my XETA to be delivered soon, Probably around the 18 June as assured by the dealership. I will upload a review asap..However can you advise me apart from regular features/pictures/pick-up/FE..what technical details will help..as unfortunately I'm neither a Engineer nor very good with Quantitave queries...! ...!
Hi Wolf,
From a LPG users' point of view (and keen to try CNG), I am keen to know the following:-
a) pick up of CNG vis-a-vis petrol, specially while going up a flyover with two or more passengers
b) FE- yes
c) AC with CNG vis-a-vis petrol
and finally-
d) CNG users complain of their cars stalling in the rainy season. I have driven in Mumbai during 26/7 floods in my esteem without any problems whatsoever. I would be keen to get some feedback from anyone who has driven CNG in the rainy season.

Cheers,
Samrat

Last edited by Samrat Banerjee : 13th June 2006 at 15:09.
Old 13th June 2006, 15:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
Samrat, what is the fuel effeciency you get on your City in petrol and LPG?
Rayden,
My 98 automatic gives a poor mileage, while I am absolutely thrilled with the car otherwise. Petrol- 6, LPG- 5. I have a colleague whos automatic, i think 2000 model gives 10 consistently, which is what most OHC give.
The LPG mileage is usually 20% lower than petrol.

Cheers,
Samrat
Old 13th June 2006, 15:38   #35
BHPian

Samrat,

Well Here are the only vehicles I have ever ridden or drove on CNG- One being the Regular DTC or Blue-Line Bus, Auto's and Cielo's Radio Cab as well as Indica XETA CNG.

Now AC Wise The Cielo fares pretty well with CNG and climbs flyovers with ease,...I din't see the driver shifting lower gears for pic-up's...and same i can vouch for the Indica I drove...! As for Buses and Auto's delhi has a large number of flyovers..and all buses and auto's climb with ease...So whatever was the reason for Low pickup on flyover its not CNG..! ( The Cielo had 5 Passengers/ Indica had 3 / Auto- depends usually 2 ..max 4 / Buses- Don't ask...!)

FE wise The Indica friend told me he gets around 18- 20 per Kg of gas...his calculation was One cylinder of 8 KG gas clocks him 144- 150 KM with AC. The Cielo Driver told me that he gets around the 15-17 KM with AC...The Auto's you generally travel in sometimes share their expierence and infact more than a couple have shared that they get a FE of around 20 and above...!

About the CNG users complaining about the gas not working in rainy season...well that partly correct and wholly wrong- CNG or LPG both need a temp regualtor which is located in the Reducer Unit..This uses engine heat and hot water to heat up the gas to an optimal temprature for Ignition ( Incase of CNG Heat the gas, In case of LPG Convert to gas from liquid state and require to heat it up)..U need that for both CNG and LPG- As CNG is Gas based under any condition and LPG become liquid in pressuarised condition. Never seen any car stalling because of CNG- Its because that The placement of the reducer is such that it cannot stop the cold rain water from getting in and cooling the system..The method is to install it somewhere towards the radiator so that the incline of cars pushes the water ahead instead...!
LPG my friend needs a Electric blanket or something which can artificially heat it in cold weather...CNG on the other hand require no such device as it remains GAS at all Temp.

CNG is a better fuel comparatively to LPG , just that users are not fully aware of its potential.

What you need is a good equipment in CNG..! which comes with all the works and good fittment. Local Kits are cheaper and they sometimes don't produce performance results. Go for trusted and branded kits such as Landi Renzo or Bedini- At least for my Indica which is being delivered to me tommorow is going for Bedini KIT with Lamda ECU as approved by TATA...and TATA makes many CNG buses which run either on Bendini or Landi Renzo kits.

The Rush for CNG has increased so much that I being delivered my car tommorow, but the CNG fitment date is for 10 days later ( Owing to Back-orders and Some New ECU for Lamda which will come in by SAT).

I can only suggest on what I have heard..what I drove...What I felt..however this will be my first ownership of a CNG vehicle..Maybe it might work for me or Maybe I might cry all my life on the decsion...However with such a large number of people suggesting the same at least on this side of India....I'm sure that its not that Bad of a choice...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 13th June 2006 at 15:54.
Old 30th June 2006, 06:03   #36
BANNED

Are the Indian Gas kits like Hovel inferior in quality in any way when compared to the Italian brands like Tartarini, Lovato, BRC, Gaselle ?

If we can make Indicas & Pulsars here, can't we make good quality gas kits !!!
Old 16th August 2006, 06:03   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Are the Indian Gas kits like Hovel inferior in quality in any way when compared to the Italian brands like Tartarini, Lovato, BRC, Gaselle ?

If we can make Indicas & Pulsars here, can't we make good quality gas kits !!!
Please help me with the above question AND

Long ago, Lovato kits was one of the best sellers and now I rarely see it. I've always heard dealers quoting that Lovato kits are having defects/problems and they are not preferring it.

Is it true OR is it because the commission amount is less when compared to the local ones ?
Old 19th August 2006, 01:30   #38

Dear wolfinstien,

Tell me, lets say i got my car converted to LPG/CNG, either of them. Now imagine my gas is over while running and due to some reason i am not able to fill it. Then i run on petrol. BEcause the tuning is done to suit the LPG or CNG kit will i get VERY poor FE if i drive on petrol. SAy before conversion FE with petrol is 10/Lt. Will it go down drastically if run on petrol after getting the either Kit installed ?
Old 25th August 2006, 17:11   #39

Hi jdutt,
I have been using an LPG kit on my 98 model zen since 99. The only problem that happens when you drive the car on petrol when LPG runs out is that there seems to be a drop in pickup. This is mainly due to the tuning difference. I havent noticed any drop in FE. And also I have seen that on MPFI vehicles this problem is not there. So you dont have to worry about drastic drops at all
Old 25th August 2006, 18:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

i am installing lpg kit of zavoli today in my baleno.. will post about decrease in performance soon. searched many areas and finally narrowed on one person because i liked his knowledge and the way he has kept his shop and equipments. persently its a open loop system, if i dont like it will make it closed loop. cost 5k more. just wanted to make out the difference.
closed loop will contain a lambda sensor a stepper motor and a ecu to give precise control. this with a freeflow filter should not make much difference in performance in city..........

Old 28th September 2006, 11:01   #41
BHPian

I am planning to convert my santro to lpg. Which kit would be adivised for santro, can any santro users who have converted their car can give some comments on it. One of my friends installed lovato kit from chennai and he was not happy with it, so am not going for lovoto which other kit is good and which place in chennai is good for insatlling one
Old 28th September 2006, 11:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

have you considered zavoli ?
Old 28th September 2006, 18:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
have you considered zavoli ?
Iam finding it real hard to find a dealer other than lovato can some one help me out where can i find a zavoli dealer or some other dealer in chennai
Old 28th September 2006, 20:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

my car performance after installation of zavoli is quite ok. initially had few snags, the gas solenoid failed, then after a few days the quantity indicator failed, then one day the tank refused to fill. now all problems are solved thanks to the one year warranty and lifetime service my installer has given.
the main point here is how much of imported stuff your guy installs........
normally its only the multi valve and vapourizer which is imported. rest all is local. so when you take any brand check the amount of local and imported components. if he is saying all are imported ask for papers.
but the fact is only these two inems have not been duplicated.
i heard lovato has bits of problems in their kits for newer cars,
the kits presently used india are all outdated once in comparision to what is being installed in developed countries. we still get only open loop systems and some put in a stepper motor connect lambda sensor and TPS and put a ecu. all mpfi must have atleast this for proper and safe operation.
also check the mixer being used. none of them will be having the antibackfire plate inside which is very much required for mpfi cars. our local designers have omited this ssafety aspect while copying the imported mixer.
and rto guys have approved all these spares.
it will be best if anyone gives sequensial injection systems , there is no power drop, actually there is power gain because the mixture can then also be turbo charged, but not found in india.
i am getting 8kmph in mumbai city with ac on most of the time.
have a 60 lts tank which fills 48.5 lts
no complaints til now since my installer has been prompt in giving service.
Old 29th September 2006, 01:34   #45
Team-BHP Support

Well wolf... samrat's claims seem to run contrary to yours. And some of them I have heard in the past as well. Like, the extent of power drop in the case of CNG is huge (samrat puts a figure of 25%). For LPG its negligible... and that has been my personal experience after driving two different LPG cars. Samrat puts a figure of upto 5%. In my opinion this becomes apparent when your car is loaded to the gills and trying to climb an incline.

samrat also says that while CNG causes the maintenance costs to shoot up LPG actually brings it down. I won't know about the drop in maintenance costs but most users say that it does not cause the maintenance costs to go up at the least. On the other hand CNG is known to cause the maintenance cause to actually go up and that is a documented fact. I think its the nozzles, gaskets, o-rings etc which are commonly known to fall prey to CNG over a distance of 20k kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks