Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2006, 16:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
How was he controlling the car from his terminals?
Most modern cars are driven by sensors. So what he did was that he added his own external ones at crucial points and started feeding signals to the ECU at crucial points. As I said, he connected so many wires and sensors at various points under my bonnet and of course also fitted that de rigueur smoke pipe sensor. He was feeding those signals using the PC that acts as the controller as well as the computer to collate data.

Whatever he did, I was impressed. It was worth spending the 100 bucks.
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:21   #17
BHPian

Wow, that's interesting. So, in effect, one can sit at a laptop in the car with all these wires connected, and accelerate through the laptop. Like in computer games we use the up arrow as the accelerator. That means the PUC guys have to invest a lot more in equipment as well as staff training. So, now do you have PUC facilities as frequently available as earlier when the tests were simpler?
Old 23rd May 2006, 18:26   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Wow, that's interesting. So, in effect, one can sit at a laptop in the car with all these wires connected, and accelerate through the laptop. Like in computer games we use the up arrow as the accelerator. That means the PUC guys have to invest a lot more in equipment as well as staff training. So, now do you have PUC facilities as frequently available as earlier when the tests were simpler?
Yeah... and I like the print-out form he gave me alongwith the PUC sticker. It has a grid like think printed out (a-la MS Excel)... the data has things like temperature, speeds (although the car was stationary), emission levels and such stuff... I believe there are multiple iterations which is used to average out things.

Training I do not know. But it was the same khataara looking Omni that these guys use with all those dull looking green stripes and PUC boards. Everything, including the "baba-aadam-ke-zamaane-kaa-pc" were all the same. I guess the only thing new was the software and of course those wires and sensors (looked like clips).

I think all of them are supposed to test using all these sensors (for diesel cars at least) though I doubt how many actually do. But those PUC vans are still spread out everywhere... looking for the bakraas (most of them here depend on the traffic cop to catch hold of the motorists and direct them to these vans nearby for a check).

Edit: Yes, he was controlling it from his khataara computer. But not using the keyboards. There was a simple looking interface with the required buttons. He was cliking these using the mouse and sending in the parameters. From the peculiar sounds that the car was making, standing stationary all the while, I had a feeling that he was creating various load conditions on the engine on a stationary car! Basically what we call simulation.

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd May 2006 at 18:31.
Old 24th May 2006, 10:21   #19
BHPian

Here in Mumbai, puc's are still the simple three minute affairs, at least they were when I got my puc in March. I am really curious to find out how the car sounds and feels as the guy at the pc revs and controls it.
Did the test cover hydrocarbons too or was it only CO emission?
Old 24th May 2006, 11:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
I thought it was generally 1 yr for all new cars. Atleast thats what I was told for my car. All the PUCs that you get done later are valid for 6 mths.
In noida, the validity of PUC for an old car is 3 months.
Old 25th May 2006, 05:19   #21
BHPian

Lol, There is a shop in Jayanagar, bangalore, This guy gives PUC without any vehicle.. I had gone there just to ask him how much he charges, he said, 30 Rs with bike, 50 Rs without bike,

My bike was parked bit away & it was one way, haha I gave him Bike no & paid 50 buks , He gave me PUC

lol... It happens only in India.
Old 25th May 2006, 08:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol, There is a shop in Jayanagar, bangalore, This guy gives PUC without any vehicle.. I had gone there just to ask him how much he charges, he said, 30 Rs with bike, 50 Rs without bike,

My bike was parked bit away & it was one way, haha I gave him Bike no & paid 50 buks , He gave me PUC

lol... It happens only in India.
Just to prevent this from happening, the PUC has a printed digital image of ur rear registration plate.So, sorry dude. U're out of luck.
Old 25th May 2006, 12:00   #23
BHPian

Anything can be purchased !

Why talk about buying PUC only for some price? What about driving licences ?
And in Bangalore, having a digital image of the regn. plate prevents nothing!
The conrol knobs on the pollution checking box are tweaked all the time to
produce acceptable numbers for vehicles in any condition. This happens in
big company dealerships too ! Don't you see any no. of smoke belching
autos and other vehicles on the road everyday? I bet they all have valid PUCs !
And the cops couldn't care less! What's the point introducing Bharat III, IV, V ...?

Last edited by meerkat : 25th May 2006 at 12:02.
Old 25th May 2006, 12:26   #24
BHPian

Yes..The PUC guys connect a whole lot of new equipment to rev the engine and get feedback at different levels..! I've been getting a certificate with a digital shot of my reg plate for more than two years now..! I wonder why PUC has variance all over india...RTO's either just don't care or Polloution has become way part of our life-style..Its upto the consumer to save the enviorment..at least do your two bits..!

Delhi RTO has been issuing Smart Card RC's along with a printed hard-copy...The RTO has gone high tech and has provided special Interceptor vehicles- The ones that have the hightech camera on a Sumo to check speed and Chase offenders...! The delhi traffic cops are now in the process of being issued smart card readers so as to note any challan or RC work on the smart card itself- The card has capacity to store all vehicle information plus upto 5 Drivers License details. Unfortunately Smart Cards are issued only to new vehicles...old ones have to manage with the Printed RC..!

PUC is a mandatory requirement, it has helped lower emmision levels in cities or towns where there is strong enforcement..In delhi significant level of pollution has been lowered partly to PUC norms and Surprise Raids and Conversion of All Public Transport into CNG- The greener fuel.
Old 28th August 2008, 15:29   #25

I was also given to understand that PUC is not rqrd for one year. Do not know what does the Motor Vehicle Act specified. Have to check it up before we get caught by a cop.
Old 28th August 2008, 17:02   #26
BHPian

I have not been able to find anything definite in the Motor vehicles Act, but the normal rule is of a PUC being applicable for six months. So, the green sticker the new car comes with is valid for six months from date of issue stamped on it. After that you need to get a PUC done.

When my car was new, I had driven into a no entry sign and stopped by a policeman, who told me not having a puc was ok since my car was not over six months old. Same logic applied there.
Old 28th August 2008, 17:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed valid for 1 year for new vehicles.

Quote:
Q5 When does a vehicle require a PUC Certificate?

Ans. After the expiry of period of one year from the date of first registration, every motor vehicle is required to carry a valid PUC Certificate & subsequently after every three months
Source
Old 28th August 2008, 18:40   #28
BHPian

It says 3 months. I have a PUC valid for six months.
Old 28th August 2008, 18:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Usually I noticed COPs ask PUC if its new or old car. In Karnataka - Goa border after Karwar Goa COPs asked for it after they realized everything is right and I gave them 50/- rs and proceeded.

What I understood is PUC is valid for first 1 year for brand new car but I suggest once car is 6 months old get it to avoid argument with COPs.

OT My Matiz is on border level when checked last time and Petrol Innova was showing almost ZERO reading so had to accelerate a bit to show some reading in the certificate.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th August 2008, 19:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, when everything was right, why did you give 50 rs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Usually I noticed COPs ask PUC if its new or old car. In Karnataka - Goa border after Karwar Goa COPs asked for it after they realized everything is right and I gave them 50/- rs and proceeded.

Regards,

Ravi.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks