Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 17:37   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Pollution check for new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
My New Manza is registered on 7th March '11 though it was manufactured in the month of Nov' 10.

Which date do I need to follow for counting the six months of the PUC from the manufacturer?
Do I need to get the PUC immediately in case of the Manufacturing date is considered. I need to hurry then.
Experts, Pls clarify.
If you go thru' this thread, there are varying accounts of how long a new car is exempt from PUC; 3/6/12 months.

Funnily, in NCR, PUC is valid for 3 months while at most places (Mah, Karnataka) it is for 6 months.

Thru'out this thread, I don't think anyone has found consistent official info regarding this issue.

I'd suggest you just get the PUC done. ~50 bucks gone now is much better than having to argue with cops/pay fine.
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:32   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If you go thru' this thread, there are varying accounts of how long a new car is exempt from PUC; 3/6/12 months.

Funnily, in NCR, PUC is valid for 3 months while at most places (Mah, Karnataka) it is for 6 months.

Thru'out this thread, I don't think anyone has found consistent official info regarding this issue.

I'd suggest you just get the PUC done. ~50 bucks gone now is much better than having to argue with cops/pay fine.
But what should be the reference for calculating the 3/6 or 12 months? Is it the Manufacturing date or the registration date? I am still not clear on this.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:21   #63
BHPian

I haven't done a PUC check yet for my 1.5 year old diesel Vento. Every time I have been stopped by cops in my interstate travels, they have let me go after checking all documents except the PUC certificate.

I am baffled because they would have tried to find every reason to book a out-of-state vehicle but in every instance they have let me go saying that it is a non-pollution vehicle.

I am sure this will not last for long and I will have to get my PUC check done soon. But is there a new rule extending the non-PUC period of a new vehicle?
Old 26th December 2012, 11:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Is it the Manufacturing date or the registration date? I am still not clear on this.
For new vehicles, one need not take PUC for a period of 1 year from date of registration. After the 1 year period, PUC needs to be taken every 6 months (6 months is the validity of the PUC in Tamilnadu).
Old 25th March 2013, 08:14   #65
BHPian

When i drove out my brand new vehicle from the showroom (Bird Automotive, Gurgaon) i was clearly told that for one year i need not go through PUC checks. Right after one year, yesterday i got the PUC done again and surprisingly i got a validity of one year on that certificate, may be as per the new norms. Mine is a Dec 2011 manufactured and March 2012 registered vehicle.
Old 25th March 2013, 18:58   #66
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I haven't done a PUC check yet for my 1.5 year old diesel Vento. Every time I have been stopped by cops in my interstate travels, they have let me go after checking all documents except the PUC certificate.

I am baffled because they would have tried to find every reason to book a out-of-state vehicle but in every instance they have let me go saying that it is a non-pollution vehicle.
It's only the RTO officials who can check for PUC certificate not traffic cops which is why you haven't been asked.
In Karnataka, the emission test (PUC) certificate is valid only for 6 months, I had my car tested couple of weeks ago and the certificate is valid for 6 more months.
Old 26th March 2013, 14:23   #67
BANNED

Quote:
But what should be the reference for calculating the 3/6 or 12 months? Is it the Manufacturing date or the registration date? I am still not clear on this.
I am too confused on this part but to what I have seen with the cops is they say the reference is Manufacturing Date from where the first year the PUC is not required but later on every 6 months from the last PUC must be done else there goes a fine of Rs. 200/-

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 26th March 2013, 20:04   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I am too confused on this part but to what I have seen with the cops is they say the reference is Manufacturing Date from where the first year the PUC is not required but later on every 6 months from the last PUC must be done else there goes a fine of Rs. 200/-

Cheers,
Anurag.
Since cops have no means to check the manufacturing date i assume they will stick to registration date while checking. One year of validity is very good but will those PUC be valid in states where validity is for only 6 months considering the cops are not well informed on these and we will find ourselves bargaining with them.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's only the RTO officials who can check for PUC certificate not traffic cops which is why you haven't been asked.
In Karnataka, the emission test (PUC) certificate is valid only for 6 months, I had my car tested couple of weeks ago and the certificate is valid for 6 more months.
Re-confirming the duration of PUC validity in Karnataka - specifically Bangalore (here everyone has their own rules).

Is it 6 Months ?

My 2.5 year old Petrol Beat has never been through a PUC Check since the day of purchase. It carried a sticker "Non Polluting Vehicle".

So, it seems I have broken the law and should get the PUC done soon.
Same case with my Yamaha Libero, albeit it was done about a year ago, which means I have missed one cycle of check (6months).
Old 9th July 2013, 07:21   #70
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Re-confirming the duration of PUC validity in Karnataka - specifically Bangalore (here everyone has their own rules).

Is it 6 Months ?

My 2.5 year old Petrol Beat has never been through a PUC Check since the day of purchase. It carried a sticker "Non Polluting Vehicle".
In Karnataka, you don't need to get a PUC certificate for 1 year from date of registration of NEW vehicle. But, I don't remember seeing a validity date printed on the "Non-Polluting Vehicle" sticker that new vehicles come with so you will just have to remember the date.

After this, you need to get a PUC Certificate every 6 months from any of the several certified pollution testing centres (most of them are in the petrol pumps).
These certificates will have a picture of your registration number plate (they use a web cam usually), date of issue and date of expiry (6 months from date of issue) so there will be no confusion.

And yes, your 2.5 year old car will need a PUC Certificate now or you could be challaned by RTO folks (they're doing this quite regularly these days in some parts of Bangalore) - The "Non Polluting Vehicle" sticker came with the car from the factory and was valid only for 1 year so last 1.5 years that has been invalid in your case (as I've mentioned above)!.

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2013 at 07:25.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 13:31   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Same here in Jharkhand. The car is not required to get a separate PUC until the first 1 year since the date of registration. Then onwards, a PUC is valid for another 6 months until the rest of the life.

Getting a PUC is literally a money making thing here...you don't even need a car...just mumble any registration no. to the guys, they will just give you a small certificate by writing that registration number on the place provided.
Of course, pay them their due. I don't even know if they have the apparatus to check the exhaust!
Old 1st October 2013, 18:50   #72
BHPian

As per Section 115(7) of THE CENTRAL MOTOR VEHICLES RULES, 1989

(7) After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid "Pollution under control" certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government. The validity of the certificate shall be for 266[six months] and the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand by the officers referred to in sub-rule (1) of rule 116.

View Full PDF (you'll find above para on page 99): THE CENTRAL MOTOR VEHICLES RULES, 1989

You can keep a print out of page 99 to show it to cops next time they stop you.
satpalsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 23:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpalsharma View Post
As per Section 115(7) of THE CENTRAL MOTOR VEHICLES RULES, 1989

(7) After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid "Pollution under control" certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government. The validity of the certificate shall be for 266[six months] and the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand by the officers referred to in sub-rule (1) of rule 116.

View Full PDF (you'll find above para on page 99): THE CENTRAL MOTOR VEHICLES RULES, 1989

You can keep a print out of page 99 to show it to cops next time they stop you.
Hi Satpalsharma - Thanks for the update but I guess it is also mandatory for all the new vehicles, during the 1st year to also carry the certificate, issued by the manufacturer confirming that the vehicle complies to the point mentioned in the rule below

(6) Each motor vehicle manufactured on and after the dates specified in sub-rule (2), (3), (4) or (5), shall be certified by the manufacturers to be conforming to the standards specified in the said sub-sections, and further certify that the components liable to effect the emission of gaseous pollutants are so designed, constructed and assembled as to enable the vehicle, in normal use, despite the vibration to which it may be subjected to comply with the provisions of the said sub-rule.
Old 2nd October 2013, 05:07   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
Hi Satpalsharma - Thanks for the update but I guess it is also mandatory for all the new vehicles, during the 1st year to also carry the certificate, issued by the manufacturer confirming that the vehicle complies to the point mentioned in the rule below
Not sure.. I think the stamp that the vehicle is BS-3 or BS-4 would be enough in that case to certify vehicle is conforming with the rules.
Old 2nd October 2013, 09:36   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpalsharma View Post
Not sure.. I think the stamp that the vehicle is BS-3 or BS-4 would be enough in that case to certify vehicle is conforming with the rules.
Generally the new vehicles are not likely to be checked for PUC. It is however advisable to get a PUC certificate obtained after 06 months of Regn. It hardly costs Rs 65-75 & you also get to know if the emission is as per the desired standards which is important for vehicle performance.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed