Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 10:43   #1

Pollution check for new car?

Hi,
I have Swift, it is now 7 months old. Now my question might be silly but I am not sure about the pollution check of new car.

As far as i know i think there is no need to get pollution check for new car in first six months. Am I correct ?

Should i go and get the pollution check of my car ?
Old 22nd May 2006, 10:57   #2
BHPian

I had by mistake passed a no entry sign and had been stopped by a cop. My car was just a couple of months old then. I did not know exactly how long new cars did not require a PUC. When this cop asked for my licence, insurance and puc, I told him that car was new, he asked how many months. He told me six months was the validity of the puc stuck on my windshield ( it was then that I noticed the date handwritten on the green "Non-polluting vehicle" sticker on the left part of the windshield).
So, six months it is. You need a puc immediately.
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:21   #3

Thanx Prabuddhadg, will get it checked as soon as possible.

Anything else to keep in mind for that ?
Old 22nd May 2006, 16:22   #4
BHPian

I thought it was generally 1 yr for all new cars. Atleast thats what I was told for my car. All the PUCs that you get done later are valid for 6 mths.
Old 22nd May 2006, 16:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
I thought it was generally 1 yr for all new cars. Atleast thats what I was told for my car. All the PUCs that you get done later are valid for 6 mths.
That's what I was told too, by Maruti service. Wonder if the cops know this !
Old 22nd May 2006, 22:28   #6
BHPian

If we all agree on general that All Vehicles Under 6 months old don't require a PUC..then anything above it...Just get it done..What is Rs 30 compared to Unneccesarily getting bothered by Cops..So instead of Tipping them...Just get a PUC Done..!
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

In chennai, its 50 bucks and a 2minute job to get the PUC(with a digital photo of the reg.plates).
How 'bout the other states??
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes ofcourse. You need to get the pollution checked every 6months.
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:35   #9
BHPian

Yeah! I agree too. Why pay the cops when you can get a proper pollution test done for that much. If you are travelling to any other state than its better to have it even if the car is new. They need any damn reason to charge you. (except if you possess a proper documentary evidence such as your PUC sticker from the company or the car users' manual stating so)

Here in Mumbai, its Rs.80 for Petrol cars, Rs.100 for diesel cars & Rs. 50 for 2/3 wheelers. You need to have a computer printed chit of the percentage of emission as recorded by the machine along with the green color P.U. Certificate. I have noticed that not all P.U.C. test centres are authorised to conduct pollution tests for diesel vehicles.

Always keep a track on the due date of your vehicle. Its better than coughing up a fine of Rs. 1000

az
Old 23rd May 2006, 01:35   #10
BHPian

I thought new cars and bikes don't need PUC certificate for 1 year from date of registration. after that u got to get one. with 6 months validity. In kerala its Rs 30 for 2-wheelers and Rs 50 for cars(with photo of no. plate).
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:09   #11
BHPian

PUC-certificate from Govt.Approved Petrol Pumps.

Petrol - Rs.45 ( Recent Rate increase-Some New Fine tuning Device - Rs 30 previously)
Diesal - Rs 50

Petrol ( 2 wheeler)- Rs.25
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:19   #12
BHPian

India-wide rates ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
PUC-certificate from Govt.Approved Petrol Pumps.

Petrol - Rs.45 ( Recent Rate increase-Some New Fine tuning Device - Rs 30 previously)
Diesal - Rs 50

Petrol ( 2 wheeler)- Rs.25
Are there any India-wide govt. specified rates ? A couple of weeks back, a
Maruti service station (SOLAR) had charged me 60/- for my car. For bikes
usually 25-30/- is charged. I've seen ads in Kolkata specifying 80/- for
two-wheelers (much higher for cars) !
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:45   #13
BHPian

My father who lives in Calcutta says there they have started a system in which it takes almost 15 minutes for petrol cars and half an hour for diesel cars/trucks for a PUC. They have to take a digital shot of the car showing its number plate and they test for hydrocarbons as well as CO. The test costs more that our Rs80 (I forget how much).
Here in Bombay that has still not started. What about other cities?
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

I got a PUC done on my diesel car after it completed 6 months [actually 7 ]. Earlier in Hyderabad both petrol and diesel cars used to cost the same Rs.50. However this guy told me that the E-III norms for diesel are much stricter and needs more equipments and hence the rates for diesel cars have been escalated to Rs.100. I am not sure about this one as I have seen lot many PUC vans on road that specify the same Rs.50 for all vehicles.

However I liked the test and think it was worth paying for it. It was pretty elaborate. He connected N no. of sensors to various parts of the car. and then started controlling my car sitting in front of his terminals. First he waited as he wanted at least 60 deg C temperature and my car was cold. Once his terminal showed that the temperature has reached the required degrees he started idling the car, again racing it up, almost stalling it, all the while sitting in front of the terminal. After a good few minutes the computer showed up the result and then printed out an elaborate grid shaped form with myriad result data along with various test data that it apparently fed to my car. Earlier the PUC used to be a much simpler stuff, both in terms of the test as well as the data generated. Yes, I think it was worth that 100 bucks.

And that digital photo of the car and its reg plate (same for bikes) has always been there in Hyderabad.
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
.... He connected N no. of sensors to various parts of the car. and then started controlling my car sitting in front of his terminals. First he waited as he wanted at least 60 deg C temperature and my car was cold. Once his terminal showed that the temperature has reached the required degrees he started idling the car, again racing it up, almost stalling it, all the while sitting in front of the terminal.
How was he controlling the car from his terminals?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks