Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2013, 16:08   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Slightly OT. I had the Santro bulbs changed at the dealer's workshop but the new ones don't have the colored sleeves so glow yellow instead of green, which isn't so pretty. I am really keen to know what kind of paint you put on your bulbs & also why you decided take the paint off. TIA.
BTW, in the Santro, the turning indicator bulbs on the fenders fit perfectly into instrument console but glow a little brighter than the originals. Had these in for a few months before going to the company workshop to get the originals.
Find of the socket type of the turn indicator bulbs , mostly it will be t10. Order whichever color led you want online and fit them. Its as simple as that. You can get led for dirt cheap prices at dx website. Let me know if you want any further details
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 08:36   #17
BHPian

Re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,

Quote:
I am really keen to know what kind of paint you put on your bulbs & also why you decided take the paint off. TIA.
1st attempt - Unsuccessful
Used red glass paper to cover the bulbs and burnt out in about 2 days.

2nd attempt - Unsuccessful
Used reynolds red permanent marker to color the bulbs after removing the burnt marks made by previous attempts. The color almost evaporated in about an hour.

3rd attempt - Successful
Used same reynolds red permanent market to color the bulbs but this time I slightly sanded the bulbs before coloring and post coloring I coated the bulbs with a layer of glue(the one that kids use for their craft activities) and allowed it to dry. I put it back on and it has been close to about 8months and the red color is still there. Also make sure you do not have any oil or finger marks before you color the bulbs.

Hope that answers your query.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 13:59   #18
BHPian

Re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
coated the bulbs with a layer of glue(the one that kids use for their craft activities)
Thanks for your reply. Is Fevi Stik Super Glue Stick likely to work?
nura is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Is Fevi Stik Super Glue Stick likely to work?
No! The stick would not work. Only the glue in liquid/waxy form works. Keep us informed if you are planning to do this DIY.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 7th May 2013 at 14:35.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Only the glue in liquid/waxy form works. Keep us informed if you are planning to do this DIY.
Thanks. Will buy the liquid glue.
Only the bulb treatment will be DIY. Have to ask my mechanic to open up the console.
nura is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Will buy the liquid glue.
Only the bulb treatment will be DIY. Have to ask my mechanic to open up the console.
It is also possible to wire up colored LEDs instead. I have done that in my Ikon. Lifetime replacement.
RM2488 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 16:04   #22
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
Hi,

The bulb that illuminates the odometer on my type-1 2005 Endeavour has fused. It's impossible to see the odometer or the trip meter in the dark. The guys at the FRC (Ford rip-off center) say that its IMPOSSIBLE to replace the bulb and that the only way out (if I want to see the odometer at night) is to buy a new instrument cluster @ Rs. 25000 !!!
I checked with my contacts in MPL Ford. According to him, the whole panel has to be changed as i believe it comes as a single panel (more like a mother board i guess). He said he would still check and get back.

As i own an Endeavour, i am now worried.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
It is also possible to wire up colored LEDs instead. I have done that in my Ikon. Lifetime replacement.
Yes. That is also an option if we have exposure on LEDs and its volts and resistance identification kind of details. I tried getting into it but gave up. Glad to know it worked for you mate.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Are the LEDs available locally? And how exactly does one wire them up?
Old 7th May 2013, 17:10   #25
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i guess we have completely shifted away from the topic. Let us get this thread back to the original topic.
Old 7th May 2013, 17:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Are the LEDs available locally? And how exactly does one wire them up?
I have no idea about Kolkata- but yes, they are available locally in Mumbai. I am sure there must a similar electronics components bazaar there as well. Or you can order what you need online easily enough.

As far as wiring them up goes, it depends on which route you go for-

1. LED strip- Easy to wire, but not very durable IMO. They generally work off 12V directly, since they have a voltage dropping resistor already soldered in place. Difficult to customise, but easiest and cheapest option.
2. Wire up individual LEDs and resistors- The values depend on the specific LED used. But you can customise exactly the number, colour, and brightness of the LEDs. Medium in difficulty for a novice.
3. Basically option 2 with current limiting- I chose this route. The additional current limiting circuit keeps the LEDs safe from voltage fluctuations and allows me to set the brightness. ie the lights don't dim when I crank the engine, or get brighter after engine start. Comparatively complex but rewarding. The result is visible in my display picture.

Perhaps this might already be explained in some other thread. If not, a new one should be created- since this is not specific to the Ford Endeavour.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 17:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps this might already be explained in some other thread. If not, a new one should be created- since this is not specific to the Ford Endeavour.
Probably something that we may be looking for: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...lue-l-e-d.html
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 19:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Probably something that we may be looking for: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...lue-l-e-d.html
Yes, I think I remember reading that one. If I recall correctly, the OP had issues with some LEDs burning out because of the primitive LED-Resistor circuit (option 1/2).

What most people don't realise if that the voltage on the power lines of an average automobile fluctuates wildly- especially during engine starts. This translates to increased current through the LEDs. They can easily be damaged by overcurrent. Hence, a proper regulated circuit would always be my first choice. The ones I have installed are still running fine- close to 1 year since the install, and over 5k KMs, 50% at night.

EDIT: The cheapest regulator only adds Rs. 20/- of components. Bargain.

Last edited by RM2488 : 7th May 2013 at 19:22. Reason: Forgot to add the regulator cost part
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 09:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Wonderful! believe me, Ford are not the only ones who do this. The Climate control bulb in my Baleno was not glowing so in the night when the AC is switched on there was no way to figure out if it was on (by looking at it). Went to the MASS and was told the whole panel needed to be replaced (Which if i remember correctly was upwards of 10K).

Thereafter went to the next door mechanic and although he took his time in opening the unit and then looking for a good replacement bulb (i.e. the cat had to be left with him for 2 full says). Total damage was less than 500Rs. That too because he spent decent amount of time searching for the replacement bulb otherwise it would have been cheaper than that.
Hi again, thanks for all your support. I took your advise and met a local garage owner. At first even he was a bit unsure if bulb replacement was possible but I insisted that he at least take a look. The bulbs behind the meter are T10s and there are smaller bulbs for the the warning lights (abs, seat belt, oil etc.) . The odometer illumination needs the smaller type of bulb, similar to T10 which the mechanic cannibalised from some other car that was lying abandoned at the garage. I also got the T10s changed from the standard light green to blue. the display color has changed and is now a much livelier neon green. Total cost including labour Rs. 150/-. So much for the F.R.C's 25000/- rupee solution of buying a new meter console if one wants the odometer light to work.......
Attached Thumbnails
Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,000-20130507_201615_835.jpg  

Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,000-t10bulbwithholder250x250.jpg  

Last edited by darxide : 8th May 2013 at 09:16.
darxide is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 09:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

So all's well that ends well! But I strongly suggest you bring this to the notice of Ford Inda and let them know what an impression the A.S.S has created in our minds.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks