Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 11:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So all's well that ends well! But I strongly suggest you bring this to the notice of Ford Inda and let them know what an impression the A.S.S has created in our minds.
There's no point. My Ford A.S.C. wouldn't sell me windshield wiper fluid. Apparently, filling it is a long, complicated, dangerous process that my Neanderthal brain is too primitive to grasp.
Old 8th May 2013, 14:23   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
Hi again, thanks for all your support. I took your advise and met a local garage owner. At first even he was a bit unsure if bulb replacement was possible but I insisted that he at least take a look. The bulbs behind the meter are T10s and there are smaller bulbs for the the warning lights (abs, seat belt, oil etc.) . The odometer illumination needs the smaller type of bulb, similar to T10 which the mechanic cannibalised from some other car that was lying abandoned at the garage. I also got the T10s changed from the standard light green to blue. the display color has changed and is now a much livelier neon green. Total cost including labour Rs. 150/-. So much for the F.R.C's 25000/- rupee solution of buying a new meter console if one wants the odometer light to work.......
Good to know your problem is solved! How many T10 bulbs were there inside? I guess the other smaller bulb you mentioned is the T5 type. If you are still interested in sprucing up the meter console then you can purchase cheap and good quality LED's online and replace them!
Old 8th May 2013, 16:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Good to know your problem is solved! How many T10 bulbs were there inside? I guess the other smaller bulb you mentioned is the T5 type. If you are still interested in sprucing up the meter console then you can purchase cheap and good quality LED's online and replace them!
There are 4 t10s and about 7 t5 bulbs in there. I would love to experiment with new colored bulbs. But the leds I've seen are a bit big and longer as compared to the standard bulb even though they have t10 type of connections. Do leds give out heat, since i'm worried that a powerful led may burn or melt the meter from the inside.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
There are 4 t10s and about 7 t5 bulbs in there. I would love to experiment with new colored bulbs. But the leds I've seen are a bit big and longer as compared to the standard bulb even though they have t10 type of connections. Do leds give out heat, since i'm worried that a powerful led may burn or melt the meter from the inside.
I have seen the LEDs you are talking about... you don't need to worry about heat with those.

On other other hand, I have replaced my boot light with two 3W LEDs- and these do require heatsinking. But it is easy to recognise those- they give out so much light, my boot looks like it has been lit by a 40 Watt bulb. So you should be fine with the t10-socket LEDs.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:17   #35
Team-BHP Support

In cases such as this, it is almost imperative to involve a reputed local garage* I was about to suggest, but it was already suggested & the solution already worked out, still, it needs to be shown at the good people @ Ford India.

Please type a detailed mail & send it to custmail@ford.com I am sure they will get back. The response from them have been very prompt in whatever issue I have highlighted. You may give a link of this thread as well.

* Please do your home work before involving a local garage.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:22   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Total cost including labour Rs. 150/-. So much for the F.R.C's 25000/- rupee solution of buying a new meter console if one wants the odometer light to work
Congrats buddy for getting the bulbs and your car back on track.

Take the car back to F.A.S.S., show them the console and cost incurred to get things working and shoot a mail to higher ups asking why should one spend 25000 to get a simple repair done.

Opening up of the console to change the lamps is risky but not impossible. Life without any risk is waste.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:29   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Typically , LED's run much cooler than normal bulbs.And LED's lesser than 2W do not require any heat sink. And you do get different size of T10 LED. Just search "T10 LED" in ebay.in and you will get many results of the LED of different size and shape and color. Once you have narrowed down on the shape, i suggest you order "Sencart" brand LED from Dx dot com. They are very high quality and give out a very nice light! I have used LED's from multiple brands and finally found Sencart ones to be the best among all i have used! Just search for "Sencart T10" in the dx website.

Similarly you will get good quality T5 bulbs too!

Note: i am not associated with any of the above mentioned websites. Just helping out a fellow BHPian to get the right quality product!
Old 10th May 2013, 14:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
My Ford A.S.C. wouldn't sell me windshield wiper fluid.
Your guy is just being mean. Ganges Ford sold me the wash fluid without any fuss. However, at Rs 53 a pouch, it is a bit of a rip-off.

Most Viewed