Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 20:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spark plugs for CNG / LPG Cars

What is CNG?
CNG is Compressed Natural Gas is a fuel made by compressing the Natural Gas or Bio Gas to less than 1% of its original volume. Once compressed, the CNG is stored and distributed as an alternate fuel. It is available at dedicated fueling stations as well as some traditional gasoline and diesel stations these days.

With the recent increase in CNG/ LPG population in the Passenger Car segment, Bosch has launched a dedicated range of spark plugs to cater the needs of this segment.
These spark plugs are made of superior ceramic, enhanced Ni-Yr (Nickel-Yttrium) central electrode (The part through which the spark is developed) with reduced gap provides superior life and reduced demand voltage thereby ensuring no leakage of sparks.

These are available in 3 part numbers to cover the Maruti, Hyundai and Tata range of vehicles and are available in pack of 4.

Product range
1. 0 242 135 536 - YR7DE
Gap: 0.6mm
Applicatrion: Wagon-R, Zen, Alto (Excluding K series). All those vehicles that run on YR7DC plugs
Price: 360INR
2. 0 242 240 693 - FR6DE
Gap: 0.5mm
Application: Tata Indica, Tata Indigo, Tata Indigo Marina, Maruti Swift, Eeco, Gypsy (Excluding K series). All those vehicles that run on FR6DC4 plugs.
Price: 300INR
3. 0 242 236 636 - FR7DE
Gap: 0.8mm
Application: Hyundai Santro, Accent, Accent Viva, Getz. All those vehicles that run on FR7DC4 plugs.
Price: 300INR
Happy riding to the ECO guys in the forum. You can make this planet a more greener one.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th May 2013 at 16:10. Reason: Formatting a bit. Thanks.
unk9ja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 00:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

That's good news. Let me see, if I can get hold of them for my accent. I am really pissed, after adjusting the spark plug gap every now and then, for which different issues.

Is there anyone, who got a chance to lay his hands on one?
Old 7th May 2013, 16:38   #3
BHPian

re: Spark plugs for CNG / LPG Cars

This is good, high time someone came up with this.

I am fed up of taking my car to mechanics every second week only to get the gaps adjusted, and only to hear the mechanic say 'CNG requires different spark plugs sir'!!
Old 7th May 2013, 16:49   #4
BHPian

This is good!
Are any of these compatible with Chevrolet Spark? I'm planning to convert my car to cng soon.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

How is running the larger (petrol) gap detrimental in case of LPG/ CNG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
I am fed up of taking my car to mechanics every second week only to get the gaps adjusted,
What happens to the gap?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 10th May 2013, 13:40   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Would any of these be compatible with the Baleno?
Old 15th May 2013, 21:59   #7
BHPian

The range looks good - 300/piece is costlier though.
Strange that I dont see this range in Bosch India's website !
http://www.boschindia.com/content/la.../html/7827.htm
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:24   #8

Spark Plugs for CNG cars

I have been an avid reader on Team BHP for many years now. Unfortunately, I did not want my first post to be like this!!!

I am facing lot of issues with Spark Plugs going kaput in my CNG fitted Chevrolet Beat, every now and then. I have tried using products from various known manufacturers like NGK, Denso, Champion and Bosch, but none seems to work more than 6 months/ 5000 - 6000 kms approx.

Recently, I came across a site - http://briskracing.in/ which claim to offer Brisk Silver spark plugs, specifically made for LPG/CNG vehicles. I tried calling their customer care but have had no response so far.

I really need help on the following:
1) If anyone has used Brisk Silver spark plugs or any other silver spark plugs and the source where I can purchase them?
2) Fellow CNG cars owners advice on an appropriate spark plug for my CNG car, that will last atleast half the distance approx. 10000 kms.

Relying on the fellow bhp-ians for advice/help/pointers.
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:23   #9
BHPian

Re: Spark Plugs for CNG cars

if you could post pictures of your used spark plugs that would be great.
hat sort of wear and tear are you seeing on the spark plugs.
All my cars are CNG and i use regular NGK plugs, which are gapped for best CNG performance. I have never had the problem of spark plugs failing. As CNG needs a stronger spark, you are recommended to change them at intervals of 10000Kms, but not 4-6K as you mentioned, something seems wrong..
Do post pictures of the fouled plugs, especially the tips.
IMHO, there is no special CNG plug, it is just marketing rubbish.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience with the WagonR F10D has been that regular NGK or Champion spark plugs work perfectly fine on CNG. The gap needs to be adjusted every 10k km or so, and the plugs last a good 40-50k km.

Do make sure your ignition coil is in good shape. A weak coil can render even the best spark plugs ineffective.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi

I own a 2012 Wagor R CNG (factory fitted).
It comes with teh OEM NGK Spark plugs.

Car is at 58XXX Kms now and till date have never faced any issues.
However, will be replacing them more as a precaution during this coming service.

CNG vehicles donot need an special SPs but only the gap needs to be adjusted during each service.

Adjust the Spark Plugs to 0.9-1.0mm. The is the case with WR.
Do check for the Beat though.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
if you could post pictures of your used spark plugs that would be great.
hat sort of wear and tear are you seeing on the spark plugs.
All my cars are CNG and i use regular NGK plugs, which are gapped for best CNG performance. I have never had the problem of spark plugs failing. As CNG needs a stronger spark, you are recommended to change them at intervals of 10000Kms, but not 4-6K as you mentioned, something seems wrong..
Do post pictures of the fouled plugs, especially the tips.
IMHO, there is no special CNG plug, it is just marketing rubbish.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from the last time but the tip of one of the spark plugs was completely burnt and rest of them looked in pretty bad shape and the spark plugs were only 6000 kms old.

I'll try to get one when I go for a replacement this time. But before that I'll also try to get the gap checked and adjusted.
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My experience with the WagonR F10D has been that regular NGK or Champion spark plugs work perfectly fine on CNG. The gap needs to be adjusted every 10k km or so, and the plugs last a good 40-50k km.

Do make sure your ignition coil is in good shape. A weak coil can render even the best spark plugs ineffective.
I am not sure about the coil. Is it an expensive affair to get the same replaced?
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:01   #14
BHPian

I just got my spark plugs changed for my Civic which is running on CNG. This was done after car has done approx 27k kms on CNG. Though the plug was perfectly fine still I changed it considering that it has already done more than 25k kms. Earlier ones where also the NGK Copper ones costing 95/- each. I also saw these Brisk plugs but probably they don't have any stockist in Mumbai leaving only option of buying online. By the way there is only little difference between silver and copper conductivity hence shelling approx 5 times more than copper one doesn't actually makes sense. Also the Brisk Spark plug states change them every 30-40k kms hence there isn't much difference in the life of the plug also.
Spark plugs failing in 5k might not be plug issue but some other issue. Get the same checked before you replace them.
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Hi

Adjust the Spark Plugs to 0.9-1.0mm. The is the case with WR.
Do check for the Beat though.
For petrol engines, i guess the spark plug gap is around 1-1.1 mm. Too large a gap can lead to engine misfiring .For CNG/LPG the gap is to be reduced by 0.2 mm.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks