Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 13:57   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Please let me know if this product is worth it at ~ Rs.2800 a pop. I think so right now. And the reviews by customers all say it's a great product.
Total value for money product. I picked it up last week. The cargo bag arrived in a tiny package like this:

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181122_101723.jpg

Open it up and inside you will find a huge cargo bag, with 400 plus litres of luggage space. It is lockable too - you need that tiny luggage lock.

Quote:
I've even seen videos from the West where people having no roof rails run the straps into the car so that the car's shut doors would hold the bag in place!
Not recommended. Best to use it with roof crossbars or roof carrier. But yeah, some customers use it with 'yoga mats' on the roof so that it does not slide forward.

Negatives:

- Bag material is a bit too thin.
- Although lockable, it is still not as secure as a roof box
- Fiddly to place luggage inside the cargo bag, especially heavy luggage.

Note that I have not "road tested" the cargo bag on highways at high speed yet. Will do it this weekend and report back any issues (like wind noise). I intend to use the Amazonbasics roof bag with my new Ajanta Avenger roof carrier:

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181209_111933.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181209_111954.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181209_112007.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th December 2018 at 14:05.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 14:09   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Total value for money product. I picked it up last week.
Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
- Fiddly to place luggage inside the cargo bag, especially heavy luggage.
In the YouTube "how to" video that I'd posted, they say to place heavy luggage first in the center and then place the smaller and lighter ones to their sides and above them. Sounds like the right thing to do with heavy pieces.

Quote:
Note that I have not "road tested" the cargo bag on highways at high speed yet. Will do it this weekend and report back any issues (like wind noise).
Please do share how it goes. I really lean toward buying it right now but I've been bitten twice by some online purchases before...sorry for shamelessly using you like this!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 11:47   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know if this product is worth it at ~ Rs.2800 a pop. I think so right now. And the reviews by customers all say it's a great product.
Please check my short review of this product here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4418847 (Small, yet value-adding Accessories for your car)

I have used it for multiple trips so far and am very satisfied with it. Strongly recommend.
Touringlawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 15:13   #94
BHPian

My 2006 Toyota Innova with the Modula Ciao roof box mounted on Thule foot pack and cross bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181222_145615.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181222_145559.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181222_145514.jpg  

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181222_145539.jpg  

Last edited by John : 22nd December 2018 at 15:20.
John is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:42   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please do share how it goes. I really lean toward buying it right now but I've been bitten twice by some online purchases before...sorry for shamelessly using you like this!
Back from a road trip:

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181223_152657.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181223_152707.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20181223_152737.jpg

Nothing significant to report. No increase in wind noise. Just make sure the straps are not touching the car roof. Because, at high speeds, those straps start playing tabla (takita takita ta sound) on the car roof.

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd December 2018 at 21:53.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 11:25   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
I have used it for multiple trips so far and am very satisfied with it. Strongly recommend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Back from a road trip:

Nothing significant to report. No increase in wind noise. Just make sure the straps are not touching the car roof. Because, at high speeds, those straps start playing tabla (takita takita ta sound) on the car roof.
I've placed the order for it. Thank you so much for providing your feedback.

I'll go on a trip later this week. I'll see if I can post a few pics of how we load her up; I'll surely share my experience with it too.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 18:48   #97
BHPian

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01266.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01267.jpg

Got this recently installed for INR 8500/-
Old 30th December 2018, 18:52   #98
BHPian

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01268.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01270.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01271.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01272.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01273.jpg

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-dsc01274.jpg

It is half of a foot smaller than my intended purpose of use, but it will still do the work- transporting kid's cycle for few kilometers. Strapping harness will be required though.
docmoya2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 00:43   #99
BHPian

Need some help/guidance. Planning to relocate back to India from US and eyeing a Tata Hexa or Harrier. Thinking of getting Thule roof rack. Most of the Thule systems are specific to vehicle model. Even for the universal ones, there is vehicle specific fit kit. So open questions :

1. Roof dimensions : Specifically from side to side.
2. Roof angle : Is it flat or curved ?
3. With roof rails : Can we put roof racks on factory installed roof rails ?
4. Without roof rails : Distance from door cavity to roof rail cavity, to figure-out the fit kit.

If anybody is already having Thule or Yakima, please advise the model picked.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2019 at 01:03. Reason: Post fixed.
Old 24th June 2019, 11:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

The combination of Private car(non-taxi passing) and roof carrier is always confusing. I mean, whenever I asked it, I never got the same answer. Most of the experts said that Roof carrier is not allowed in private car. Some said it should be passed through RTO Department.

Recently we booked an Ertiga. We want a roof carrier on that vehicle. Should I get it installed before RTO passing? I want to install it legally, so I can handle cops accordingly. Is there any provision to do so?
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 21:17   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
2. A major concern I have is the cycle carrier I have on my car. As I travel often to take part in Triathlon events and also for practice, I have to carry my cycle on the roof rack. Carrying it inside the car is not practical as I will have to disassemble the bike and place it in the boot and even with a disassembled bike, it is a very tight fit in the boot. I have been using the rack for the past few years and except a couple of cursory interest, have not been told by any cop that this is an issue.

However, with the increase in fines, I am worried about it. Is there any clear law about bicycle carriers in the MV act? Is there a way to get an endorsement in the RC book? Or should I just ride my luck for this one?
Personally I have zero experience about using bicycle carriers, but friends who use the boot-mounted variety have never complained about being hauled up by traffic police for any violation relating to these carriers.

Those here who have been using roof-mounted bicycle carriers, can you please respond to graaja's question above, about the legality or troubles related to these?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 00:27   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Is there any clear law about bicycle carriers in the MV act? Is there a way to get an endorsement in the RC book? Or should I just ride my luck for this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Those here who have been using roof-mounted bicycle carriers, can you please respond to graaja's question above, about the legality or troubles related to these?
As far as I know there is no law regarding fitting of luggage carriers, or carrying luggage on them on private cars in the MV Act. If there is no law for luggage carriers, it is highly unlikely that our ancient MV Act has anything to say about cycle carriers. It might be modified in the future as more and more people start using these sort of things.

Am posting a link below where a top cop in Gujarat has clarified there is no law preventing luggage carriers on private cars. Which probably applies to cycle carriers as well.

https://www.cartoq.com/luggage-carri...rt-department/

Graaja ji, enjoy your cycling. If you do get caught in some state, do let us know.

Coming to think of it, the irony is that the only place where cops fined me for carrying luggage on the carrier on my Endeavour, was outer ring road in Ahmedabad!

Last edited by SCORPION : 18th September 2019 at 00:29.
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 05:31   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
As far as I know there is no law regarding fitting of luggage carriers, or carrying luggage on them on private cars in the MV Act. If there is no law for luggage carriers, it is highly unlikely that our ancient MV Act has anything to say about cycle carriers. It might be modified in the future as more and more people start using these sort of things.

Am posting a link below where a top cop in Gujarat has clarified there is no law preventing luggage carriers on private cars. Which probably applies to cycle carriers as well.

https://www.cartoq.com/luggage-carri...rt-department/

Graaja ji, enjoy your cycling. If you do get caught in some state, do let us know.

Coming to think of it, the irony is that the only place where cops fined me for carrying luggage on the carrier on my Endeavour, was outer ring road in Ahmedabad!
Thank you for the clarifications Scorpion Nice hearing from you after a long break.

So I will continue with the roof rack without any worries. Will update this thread if I face any issues.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
As far as I know there is no law regarding fitting of luggage carriers, or carrying luggage on them on private cars in the... Coming to think of it, the irony is that the only place where cops fined me for carrying luggage on the carrier on my Endeavour, was outer ring road in Ahmedabad!
It depends upon state to state. I own a tiago diesel with roof carrier. I took it once to Himachal with heavy luggage including baby pram atop. I was stopped twice in Punjab limits and they weren't lenient on this. Post MV amendments, Delhi cab owners of sub 4 meter cars have removed roof carriers as well.

In Pune/Mumbai and rest of Maharashtra there are no issues in putting roof carriers over any car. But how about Telangana, AP and Karnataka? Any thoughts
OneToughRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 20:07   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
..... I was stopped twice in Punjab limits and they weren't lenient on this.
Punjab's police department is the most corrupt, ill-mannered police deptt I have encountered during my various inter state trips. They are hell bent on extorting money from other state registered vehicles.

This July while I was returning from my ladakh trip I was stopped by them at I guess 'Kurali' junction, though not sure.

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-img_20191110_192807.jpg

In the above picture the left most lane marked with orange arrow was meant to take left turn for hoshiarpur or go straight to Delhi, the lane marked with green was meant to go straight to Delhi and was the main lane or take right towards Patiala. I was stopped at the spot market with pink color and was asked to park the car at red spot where a PB Police vehicle was parked and two policemen were sitting inside.

I was asked to go and show the documents to policemen sitting inside vehicle. A man in civil cloths was also present there. I went and showed all the documents. Driver and co passenger both were wearing seatbelts and all documents were complete. One Policeman asked where I was heading to, I replied Delhi. He said, "you are driving on wrong side. The left most land is meant for Delhi". I and my brother in law both said there is no sign board or anything like that, and other vehicles going straight are also using this lane then how is this wrong side? Luckily 2 other local vehicles passed by at the same moment and I pointed out that if this is wrong side then why and how these vehicles are passing by and not getting stopped by you. Why just us? Then the other policeman said to policeman holding my DL RC and challan book "Sir driver wasn't wearing seat belt."

I was like What the hell is going on here.

Then the policeman with challan book and pen in hand told me I am writing the challan, RC will be impounded. I said both of us were wearing seat belts and all documents are complete why Am I being challaned? He, then, in a very arrogant and rude way said, "Don't waste my time, I am going to write this challan" . I went silent. He again said "Say, what do you want to do?" He was just pressuring for bribe by threatening for challan. I didn't said anything and just kept looking at his face silently. In the mean time, my wife, who was sleeping at back seat stepped out and starting coming towards us, seeing her coming, I don't know why the man in civil dressed waved towards policemen sitting in car and he returned my documents and said to go away. I said thankyou in a very generous way and in return he replied arrogantly "nikal ja idhar se chor rhe h"

I had few other incidents with PB police but this was the worst of them. After this incidence I try my best to cross Punjab during night time only.
mathur2012 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks