Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2020, 05:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers

I need some advise for a roof carrier for my WRV. Is it even possible to install one in the WRV? I have the Diesel VX model that comes with roof rails.

I checked the roof rails and did not find any provision on them to fix a roof carrier. I think they are probably for aesthetics only.

Has anyone installed a roof carrier on the WRV, and if yes then which brand and how is it installed.

Last edited by Traveler : 25th January 2020 at 05:22.
Old 21st February 2020, 19:24   #107
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Adding a link (Roof box) to the cross bars and roof box option I went with for my Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I need some advise for a roof carrier for my WRV. Is it even possible to install one in the WRV?
The roof rails of the WRV are very peculiar, however you need to search for flush mount cross bars and then search for a roof box / carrier on the cross bars. Check the Thule website for ideas. You can replicate the same setup through Aliexpress for sure, I guess.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 21:06   #108

Hi Guys,

needed information if some one has used the below mentioned roof rack rack supplied by Mahindra genuine accessories -

https://www.m2all.com/xuv500-integra...f-carrier.html

also there is coimbatore based company called roufrails

- http://www.roufrails.in/mahindra-xuv...arrier-latest/

I needed this for a 2018 Xuv500 W11 (O) 2018

Would be great if I could get some info

Ride Safe
Old 28th September 2020, 10:43   #109
BHPian

Hello,

I have a Ford Figo 2016, and need to install a towbar bike rack. Kindly guide me towards the appropriate dealer, fitter who can do it. I have info on the racks, but I am unable to find any help with getting the appropriate hitch mount installed.

Local Ford dealers are clueless and/or don't want to help out on searching a Ford part for it when I try to ask.

I can import the said part and get it fitted locally (from here - https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/f...owbars-en.html) but I need guidance on choosing the same, as well as details of a local fitter who can do it for me. My location is Pune/Mumbai.

Any specific help would be extremely helpful

P.S. - I do not want a roof rack, or a trunk mount bike rack, want a more versatile and permanent solution. thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 17:23   #110
BHPian

Carrying cycle on a car! Is it illegal as per RTO?

Recently I came across the news that the Bengaluru Police fined a person with cycles on their rack attached to the car. As per this news, a fine 5,000 INR can be imposed for carrying cycle without proper permission.

Racks (rear/top) available in the market can carry 2 to 3 cycles on a car. The rear carriers, which are more popular, have small side overhangs.

Is it really illegal to carry a cycle on a rack behind the car if it has a minor overhang?

Is there any existing procedure in RTO after which we can carry cycles on a car?
Old 25th October 2020, 22:13   #111
BHPian

I have a Jeep Compass and need advice on rear mounted bicycle carrier (for 2 or 3 cycles). Can someone refer any particular brand / model? I checked out some models but they said most of it is not compatible with Compass because of the rear light mounted above the boot door. Any prior experience with cycle carriers on Jeep Compass will be of great help.
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:13   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik@2020 View Post
I have a Jeep Compass and need advice on rear mounted bicycle carrier (for 2 or 3 cycles). Can someone refer any particular brand / model? I checked out some models but they said most of it is not compatible with Compass because of the rear light mounted above the boot door. Any prior experience with cycle carriers on Jeep Compass will be of great help.
I am using the BTWIN bike carrier available at Decathlon with my Maruti Swift (not yet tried on my new Harrier). I don't think with its mounting points there will be any issue with compass's rear light (see image). It is mounted using gaps between tailgate with roof & side body and is supported on rear glass with proper cushioning.
Attached Images

Last edited by KSingh : 2nd November 2020 at 14:29.
KSingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:46   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSingh View Post
I am using the BTWIN bike carrier available at Decathlon with my Maruti Swift (not yet tried on my new Harrier). I don't think with its mounting points there will be any issue with compass's rear light (see image). It is mounted using gaps between tailgate with roof & side body and is supported on rear glass with proper cushioning.
Thanks for your inputs! I had actually checked at Decathlon and a salesman there confirmed that he had tried to fit a BTWIN cycle carrier on another client's Compass but couldn't. They had only one model at the time, so I will circle back to check compatibility with different models and update if I'm able to find one.
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had actually checked at Decathlon and a salesman there confirmed that he had tried to fit a BTWIN cycle carrier on another client's Compass but couldn't.
I have had my Decathlon Cycle Carrier (now into it's 5th year running) fitted on -
1. Gurkha
2. Ecosport
3. Scorpio
4. Creta
5. Cruze
6. Nexon

Wonder what is so special about the Compass in this respect.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:28   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I have had my Decathlon Cycle Carrier (now into it's 5th year running) fitted on -
1. Gurkha
2. Ecosport
3. Scorpio
4. Creta
5. Cruze
6. Nexon

Wonder what is so special about the Compass in this respect.
Ah well, don't think you can call it 'so special' as I am discovering

Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-2017jeepcompass082.jpg

I took the liberty of using a photo posted earlier on Compass review to get required angle. The protrusion at the top of rear windshield as shown by the arrow prevents harness being put at the top of the rear door as the weight will not be borne by the door and will pull down on that part.

Also, I went to check out cycle carriers just when malls had opened in Mumbai so Decathlon was low on inventory and had only one model. Even with that they were not keen to try out on my car that was in parking. I will have to visit a store that is open to test fit-out.
pathik@2020 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 05:48   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....The protrusion at the top of rear windshield as shown by the arrow prevents harness being put at the top of the rear door as the weight will not be borne by the door and will pull down on that part.
See the image here of my relatively pedestrian Nexon for the fitment. This car also has a similar protrusion. The straps go over it and are mainly used to align the carrier. Even with two cycles on the carrier (BTWIN RC500 and ST520) what I've noticed is that the straps aren't under any significant pull. The member highlighted in red is what takes the load. See if this gives you an idea whether it can work for your car.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers-screenshot_20201104054022__01.jpg  

roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:38   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
See the image here of my relatively pedestrian Nexon for the fitment. This car also has a similar protrusion. The straps go over it and are mainly used to align the carrier. Even with two cycles on the carrier (BTWIN RC500 and ST520) what I've noticed is that the straps aren't under any significant pull. The member highlighted in red is what takes the load. See if this gives you an idea whether it can work for your car.
Thanks, this surely helps!! Warrants another visit to Decathlon this weekend, should've tried it on instead of taking the salesman's word for it. Usually Decathlon folks know their products very well; guess relevant model must've been out of stock at the time. Nevertheless - thanks for the pic, I know exactly what to look for
pathik@2020 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 15:30   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I am looking for a roof mounted solution to carry a bicycle on my 2009 Swift Dzire. Carrying it on a boot mount like the Decathlon one completely obliterates the registration number of the car and dismantling it to fit it in the boot is cumbersome.

Checking around I found that BilerZ http://bikerzrack.com/bikerz-car-roof-cycle-stand/ has some called Elegant for 11K and Premium for 8 K. Both these models fit on the cross bars on your car. In case you don't have cross bars, they are also available from the same company for an extra 6 K making the entire cost come to 17/14 K respectively.

Has anyone have any experience with this setup? Any other comments or suggestions are welcome. Even a link to online reviews would be appreciated. TIA
Old 7th December 2020, 18:56   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi guys, I am looking for a roof mounted solution to carry a bicycle on my 2009 Swift Dzire. Carrying it on a boot mount like the Decathlon one completely obliterates the registration number of the car and dismantling it to fit it in the boot is cumbersome.
Why not buy a matching number plate and tie it appropriately to your cycle or cycle rack? That is what I used to do in the UK. They are ultra strict there on number plate visibility.
Old 8th December 2020, 05:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Why not buy a matching number plate and tie it appropriately to your cycle or cycle rack? That is what I used to do in the UK. They are ultra strict there on number plate visibility.
Not a bad idea at all. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks