Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 17:30   #16
BHPian

I'm not aware as to how many of you know that 'Laquer' (this is clear paint) works absolutely fantastic for paint protection. especially this is my mechanic's speciality....the clear coat not only protects the underneath paint but also enhances the look and feel....u can go in for 2 or 3 thin layers depending upon the budget.

metallic painted cars just 'shine' post lacquring
Old 6th September 2007, 15:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ok so where do you get this lacquering done (in Bangalore) and how much does it costs... (per layer I guess)...
Old 6th September 2007, 15:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Ok so where do you get this lacquering done (in Bangalore) and how much does it costs... (per layer I guess)...
any person who does the paint job should be doing this lacquering.
can't say how much it charges, since the last time i got it done was for my bike, where in i got it painted, then went in for stickering and finally got the lacqering done. Lacquering is a think layour of transperent coat. I had paid around 500 for bike and also had it done for my helmet to protect the sticker, charged me 50 rs.
but keep in mind that it should be done properly, and in a neat environment and should be kept for drying with proper heating equipments.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:14   #19
BHPian

Teflon coating is all crap unless it is by a company like 3M. Better to use turtle wax. You will get far better result.
Old 7th September 2007, 15:06   #20
BHPian

Please advice me for place in Delhi where i can get the paint protection thing done and what should be the right price for this.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am already using turtle wax. But the problem with that is that any carnuba based was is heat unstable and evaporates and becomes ineffective very quickly (in a matter of 2-3 weeks). I am looking at some synthetic polymer based sealents, which would hopefully give long lasting protection (3 months).

Is this lacquer thing same as Clear Coat???
Else it might have issues like yellowing, cracking, etc and ill effects on the paint.
Old 11th September 2007, 14:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

these all outer paint protection kinds are just marketing gimmicks and nothing else!
Old 11th September 2007, 14:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

I really do not know whether Teflon coating is worthwhile. However, I got it done on my new Corolla. The result is that for many scratches can be rubbed off with 3M rubbing compound and disappear. On my old Corsa there was no coating and such scratches were harder to rub and remained permanently. Perhaps it is because teflon gives an extra layer. My experience is that teflon does help in restoring shine for longer. As to scratches, it may help in scratch removal. Of course teflon does not protect from a dent! and deep scratches that peel off the paint cannot be rubbed off.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:21   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I really do not know whether Teflon coating is worthwhile. However, I got it done on my new Corolla. The result is that for many scratches can be rubbed off with 3M rubbing compound and disappear. On my old Corsa there was no coating and such scratches were harder to rub and remained permanently. Perhaps it is because teflon gives an extra layer. My experience is that teflon does help in restoring shine for longer. As to scratches, it may help in scratch removal. Of course teflon does not protect from a dent! and deep scratches that peel off the paint cannot be rubbed off.
Teflon is simply an eyewash....It won't serve in the long term !
Old 11th September 2007, 16:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

OK if you say so. But is there really a viable solution to reduce the extent of paint erosion and improve scratch resistance. As I said, I do not know fully about teflon, but only posting my experience.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:42   #26
BHPian

hi i am getting compliment teflan and anti rust from the dealer for which i would be going tomorrow so wat should i look for or insist him to do and stuff
please advice me about it
Old 11th September 2007, 19:40   #27
BHPian

i just spole to dealer he said he will use dupoant's teflan coating
Old 16th September 2007, 08:51   #28
BHPian

I am getting my WagonR Duo, thanks to all members for their help. I need to know something about Antirust coating, while the dealer quoted Rs. 1800/-, one accessory shop said Rs. 1400/-. Now yesterday one accessory shop which quotes reasonable price for everything said that he will apply Berger weathercoat / shield as antirust coating and asked for Rs. 400/- !!
What do guys think about using Berger paint as antirust coat? please enlighten as soon as possible
Old 16th September 2007, 17:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

If you get it done from the dealer, you can see that it is done to your satisfaction, + they will give you a certain amount of 'warranty', + no scope for them to later try to 'worm out' of a possible warranty claim on an undercarriage part (ie gurantee not void). A dealer wants to retain your patronage.
As for the Berger coating, I would say stay away - unless they have something that was designed for cars. A good undercoat for cars has to be a 'rubber based' compound (though not always).
Old 17th September 2007, 19:45   #30
BHPian

Today I visited Glix in Kolkata, they will do it in Rs. 1500/- and material will be 3M, warranty 3 yrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks