Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2006, 22:20   #16
BHPian

reasons

Reasons as per me: The most important consideration is mileage. Even when one buys a car for 10 lakhs! Next, buyers of relatively expensive cars are most likely to be sitting in the backseat. Why spend the extra money on an automatic when the driver is going to have all the fun? And third, there is this word around here that automatic transmission is prone to maintenance problems. Can't be true, but I dont know yet.

I too feel that if there's some marketing around Auto boxes, and a few good options in 7 lakh+ range, people will buy auto models. Why is no one doing it?

BTW, I was very diappointed to find no auto option for Innova. Somehow, I expected Innova to have it - a big comfortable car - why not a comfortable way to drive it as well?
Old 26th May 2006, 15:29   #17
BHPian

OK, FE seems to be the major drawback of 'auto'.

guys, can some one mention the cars with 'auto transmission' in the sub-10 lac segement?
Old 26th May 2006, 15:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

FE is just one reason (a main reason though). Another reason for manual transmission being more common in India is that the initial cost is high for A/T. If I am right, an A/T car will cost atleast 80K more than a manual car of the same specs. And in India, where people do not opt for high-end models with safety features like ABS, Air bags etc due to the extra cost, would they pay for A/T ? I doubt.
And BTW, there are people in the US too who opt for manual cars to save on the initial cost. My colleague has a VW Jetta and I was surprised to see that it was manual trans. He mentioned that he likes driving manual cars and in the bargain also saves quite some dollars.
Old 25th November 2008, 06:58   #19

I'd like throw in one more thought here.

If you've been used to driving in the US with a manual stick transmission, chance are that your left hand is your steering hand and you have a hard time using only your right hand to steer.

So if you're now driving in India, it's going to take some time for you to get used to switching your driving hand and changing the gears with with left hand. An Automatic Transmission may be a good choice for you to let you learn how to drive in India a little bit more easily while you learn to use your right hand to steer. Taking the gears out of the equation is pretty good unless you intend to race a lot OR care too much about FE.
Old 25th November 2008, 14:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
FE is just one reason (a main reason though). Another reason for manual transmission being more common in India is that the initial cost is high for A/T. If I am right, an A/T car will cost atleast 80K more than a manual car of the same specs. And in India, where people do not opt for high-end models with safety features like ABS, Air bags etc due to the extra cost, would they pay for A/T ? I doubt.
And BTW, there are people in the US too who opt for manual cars to save on the initial cost. My colleague has a VW Jetta and I was surprised to see that it was manual trans. He mentioned that he likes driving manual cars and in the bargain also saves quite some dollars.
Its all a production to scale issue that auto tranny is expensive. In US where all cars come in auto, there dollar to dollar price is cheaper when compared to Europe for the same car, auto versus manual. Now it goes back to the same concept, any feature introduced in India was first priced at premium untill it became standard and economies to scale kicked it. Just like power windows and power steering used to be a luxury to have, now has become pretty standard across most products. Similarly auto tranny if introduced by manfacturers with a serious will can easily replace manual tranny. Ppls misconception can only be removed if manfacturers make an effort. Just like CRDI diesel replaced ppls notions that diesels were loud, noisy and difficult to maintain. It maybe fun to drive manual in Europe but in India its absolutely not practical.
Old 2nd December 2008, 21:49   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx View Post
* In US 'automatic transmission' is the default, where as in india it is 'manual transmission', car-gurus, whats the major reason for this difference?
I am not a car-guru. However, here is my take based on my experience with american cars and roads:

It is a combination of many factors.
  • Starting with cars: their cars comes with cruise control, which, in my opinion works better with automatic transmissions.
  • American drivers: barring last few years, they never cared for fuel efficiency, comfort was and still is main concern for them.
  • Roads: Superb roads make a car with cruise control and automatic transmission a natural choice.

By the way, this is my first post in this forum which I get hooked to after coming back from US.
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:55   #22
BANNED

auto convert since 3 years now, and sure as hell i am not going back to prehictoric manual ever. i hate manuals now. its just indian mentality that auto is expensive to maintain less mileage blah blah blah. all the evos and new supercars are auto, its just now or later auto will take on manuals surely.
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:04   #23

"Driving an automatic transmission is like marrying a pregnant woman "
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:23   #24
BHPian

Here's what I feel about the automatics; It has the convienence of going in busy traffic with minimal amount of pain to ur hands (stick shift) and feet (clutch). It has the advantage of handling the high speed freeways at overdrive. The cost of comfort is what makes the price steeper.

Stick-shift is bought by few enthusiats in US who likes to drive that way, Its advantage is speed will be under control but disadvantage is more moving parts so wear and tear.

Hope this helps
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:50   #25
BHPian

auto transmission is great for city driving. i'd have gone for a diesel automatic hatchback if it were available - torque and convenience in one package! i know manuals are fun, sporty and all that, but there is no "fun" available driving in city traffic.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:03   #26
BHPian

Automatic for sure, There is a great deal of Drive comfort and engine care with an automatic. I say engine care cause the automatic will almost always change gears at the right times (no knocking and trying to move on 2nd gear at a signal bla bla.)
For a long time I thought otherwise and Gloried in a MANUAL only world, Until we picked up an Automatic for my Dad, and realized that my dad an avid roady - with miles to his credit loved the Automatic and hoped he got one earlier in life.
Basically what I'm saying it that it's a taste driven choice.
when you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic 5 days a week, your taste will change especially if you get an opportunity to drive an Automatic.
In closing: I still drive a manual :-)
Old 4th December 2008, 03:13   #27
BHPian

The myth about automatic being no fun to drive is not true. Once we get to know the automatic transmission, its too thrilling and comfortable to run that anyone will love it.

And its not like we need to stick on with the gears that the automatic selects and cant control the changing or shifts are baseless.

We have the full control in automatic transmission and it all depends on how we accelerate or how we controls the transmission.

Moreover with the DSG transmission and all the new technologies coming in, i will definitely ask everyone to give a try or a test run.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

I drive both an AT and a MT alternatively. Probably it gives me a unique perspective at times to see the pros and cons of both.

AT is ideal for bumper to bumper traffic. Saves on knees, foot, ankle, hand, shoulder wear and tear !!
In an AT there is less chance of bumping into the car ahead due to sudden release of clutch, especially in clutch situations when there are nuts honking behind you and ask you to bolt.
You can use your free hand to fiddle with the ICE settings, AC, hold a mobile, hold someone's hand, cuddle someone and well... you get the drift. Basically more distractions that could cause some permanent damage !!
An MT requires a little bit more concentration, allows engine br(e)aking and generally keeps your mind off other things.

When I drive the AT I'm like wow.. peace and luxury, however when I drive the MT its like yeah baby !!

I drive a Matiz MT and a Civic AT so there's a mile of difference there as well !!
Old 4th December 2008, 11:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
when you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic 5 days a week, your taste will change especially if you get an opportunity to drive an Automatic.
heheh...thats what happened to me! i drove a Ford Falcon automatic with cruise control a few months ago in Australia and was floored by the conveneince! i dream of an auto-box everyday while commuting :(

maybe my next car...
Old 4th December 2008, 14:04   #30
BHPian

Similar to CSenthil I drive an AT and MT alternatively.. My wife's car is a i10 Kappa auto and my Getz is an MT..

Can't beat the AT in city traffic not to mention i10's light steering..but i missing the engine braking of the MT. Also the smooth coasting nature of the AT doesn't go well when there are moronic autos and two wheelers trying to squeeze into any small space..

Probably the sweetest surprise of the AT is the in-gear acceleration (60-100kmph) due to the torque converting nature of the AT gearbox . On empty streches of the Old mahabalipuram road, the i10 Auto easily outruns most other hatches ..

A bad thing though with small automatics is that in stand still conditions at traffic with a/c on, the extra brake pressure required to keep the vehicle stationary can be a bit stressful...forces me to move the shifter to 'N' at signals!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks