Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 12:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Ravv hasn't driven paddle shift equipped cars it appears. With torque converter lockup, you get full engine breaking until the lowest RPMs where it starts to slip. Just downshift like you would in a manual and you'll get full engine breaking.
I was actually missing the 'in-gear' slowing down, where if you lift your foot off the accelerator the vehicle slows down gently letting you take a turn etc. in the same gear and without braking. The paddle shifts I tried did not do that. They did slow down if I shifted down though.

Cheers.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:37   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i have driven ATs abroad (with and without paddles, with and without cruise control) and have fallen in love with it. I am still waiting for a diesel AT car <10L to be launched here....
Verna Diesel AT is coming this year....
Old 4th February 2009, 12:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Verna Diesel AT is coming this year....
Any sources for the same ??
Old 4th February 2009, 13:06   #94
BHPian

[quote=Ravveendrra;1117208]

Most people in the automobile trade will also agree that automatic transmissions reduce engine life by a significant percentage. This is caused by the engine being run at slightly higher speeds at idling and due to wasted power during running and shifts.

well i am not sure about the reduction in engine life in Auto tranny.

In western countries also, people are happily buying 15 yrs old cars.

here also many auto tranny cars going great even after 10yrs. (including my Honda city 1.5 EXI AT)
Old 4th February 2009, 13:11   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Yes, some friends in Hyundai, Sriperumbudur...

I thought some of the sites have also mentioned it...or it was in tbhp also somewhere...
Old 4th February 2009, 13:39   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Which automatic box can produce the lovely notes from under the bonnet (and exhaust) as the engine worked to slow the car down? And anyways, if I went in for an automatic - What would I do with my left leg (and arm)?
Well, you'd have already paid an arm and a leg for the auto version--so you needn't have to worry about that anymore.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:03   #97

I drive an auto Civic V and let me tell you, its quite a dream to drive the same in the city. As far as the left hand and leg is concerned, just like rishia my leg is folded in a comfy position or placed on the false clutch and the hand, well thats on the steering mostly, with my fingers on the (-) paddle. And when I am driving it on D, my left hand's usually holding the right of another..
Although I must say, my first love is and will always be manual.
I do miss engine braking
Old 4th February 2009, 15:17   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most people in the automobile trade will also agree that automatic transmissions reduce engine life by a significant percentage. This is caused by the engine being run at slightly higher speeds at idling and due to wasted power during running and shifts.
I never heard such a thing before!
Old 4th February 2009, 15:48   #99
Senior - BHPian

[quote=loving_alaap;1157352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

Most people in the automobile trade will also agree that automatic transmissions reduce engine life by a significant percentage.
Would most people here mean car makers who have nil or lousy automatic transmissions, or dealers who cannot even spell `transmission'. In the US, nearly all cars are sold with AT. This is a long term multi decadal trend and very few have complained about their longevity.
Old 4th February 2009, 19:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

I was completely for 'manuals' until I accidentally (went to TD manual but only auto was avilable at that time) test drove ANHC AT. After driving the AT with paddleshift I did not feel the need to look at the manual again, at least as a city car. I have booked the AT.

Last edited by Guna : 4th February 2009 at 19:59.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:50   #101
Senior - BHPian

Exactly the point. If you drive in the city a lot, the A/T is a huge, huge boon. If you travel the higways, an A/T with torque converter lockup will give you nearly the same mileage as a manual. So, if you are willing to live with a lower city mileage for massive convenience, the A/T is for you.

Then again, a lot of people will miss the mechanical connection to the car that is the gear lever.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:36   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Chek this out from BHP Courtesy Srinath34..

Hi guys,

Had been to Adviath Hyundai on ORR along with my dad to give our Getz for service. I also wanted to check out the i20. It was pretty good from outside in that nice electric blue colour. On the first floor, the Verna variants were kept for display. I was surprised to see the new look of it(not very extensive though). Its got the new Champagne colour from the i10 and new badgings as mentioned in the previous posts. Clicked some pics with my mobile. Padon me for the poor quality.

1st pic: New chrome garnish on the front grill and the new Champagne colour.

2nd pic: Side chrome strip.

3rd pic: New stereo (IMO, not very great in build quality)

4th pic: Auto badge on the 1.5 CRDi

5th pic: Crowded badgings on the CRDi

6th pic: Interior and auto box

7th pic: Alloys on the CRDi

Hope these pics gave a basic idea of how it looks. IMO, Hyundai should have upgraded/tweaked the petrol engine to match the others in the segment.

Cheers,
Srinath
Attached Thumbnails

Old 4th February 2009, 23:37   #103
BHPian

ImmortalZ, there are very few cars that have got a good auto tranny in India, and that too for less than 10L. The Civic 1.8V AT is about 70K more than the MT version, while the City ZX difference is about 83K. These are not justifiable costs for most Indians.
Unless the AT versions costs very near to the MT versions (in any car), why would Indians go for the AT model? As mentioned before, we can just hire a driver to do the job.
Old 5th February 2009, 00:13   #104
Senior - BHPian

And let the driver have all the fun? I can't imagine anyone who'd buy a Civic and give it to a driver.

Like I said, it's the price of convenience.

Side question : Have you driven a Civic A/T? Genuine question. I've interacted with quite a few people who are all against the A/T until they take a drive. After that, it's all "I. WANT."
Old 5th February 2009, 01:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic.sense View Post
I drive an auto Civic V and let me tell you, its quite a dream to drive the same in the city.
I do miss engine braking
I agree with you after having driven the auto for the last 2 years - there's nothing like the auto specially in your boring normal 9-6 job life.

Quote:
Exactly the point. If you drive in the city a lot, the A/T is a huge, huge boon. So, if you are willing to live with a lower city mileage for massive convenience, the A/T is for you.
Agree Immortal - however I would like to point out that in stop and go city traffic - the mileage difference is ever so little.

Quote:
And let the driver have all the fun? I can't imagine anyone who'd buy a Civic and give it to a driver.

Side question : Have you driven a Civic A/T? Genuine question. I've interacted with quite a few people who are all against the A/T until they take a drive. After that, it's all "I. WANT."
Oh I'd say that is a very subjective discussion. Personally I found the civic auto to be very slow to respond to inputs and was particularly disappointed with the acceleration and exhaust notes. Its funny, with me it was the other way around - the test drive convinced me I shouldnt buy it. But then again like i said - its a very personal opinion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks