Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 23:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Instrument Cluster Failure

While driving today around 2000 hrs the Instrument Cluster of my 2005 Swift Vxi had a total failure. The Speedo, Odo, Tacho, Fuel and temp meters went to zero. Before this I felt some kind of smell, not any burning one, and ibefore I could look around noticed the above failure. Pulled up and switched off the engine. All other systems were normal and no changes were noticed. So drove three KMs and reached home without further problems.

Called helpline and arranged for a pickup tomorrow first in the morning.

Looked beneath the dashboard and the engine bay. No visible symptoms were noticeable.
Can this be due to blown fuse/relay?

Gurus, looking forward to you all for guidance, SoS.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2013 at 13:07. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for better readability. Please make note
Old 27th May 2013, 23:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
While driving today around 2000 hrs the Instrument Cluster of my 2005 Swift Vxi had a total failure. The Speedo, Odo, Tacho, Fuel and temp meters went to zero. Before this I felt some kind of smell, not any burning one, and ibefore I could look around noticed the above failure. Pulled up and switched off the engine. All other systems were normal and no changes were noticed. So drove three KMs and reached home without further problems.
Called helpline and arranged for a pickup tomorrow first in the morning.
Looked beneath the dashboard and the engine bay. No visible symptoms were noticeable.
Can this be due to blown fuse/relay?
Gurus, looking forward to you all for guidance, SoS.
Get your vehicle speed sensor replaced/checked.
Parlance would be VSS.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 23:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Instrument Cluster Failure

What kind of smell did you get? Looks like short circuit / loose connectors.

edit : When you mean total failure, does this also mean that not even lights were coming on in the display and that the display remained dark?

Last edited by govigov : 27th May 2013 at 23:18.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 23:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
When you mean total failure, does this also mean that not even lights were coming on in the display and that the display remained dark?
No warning lamps in the instrument cluster except the door ajar is working when the ignition is switched On. All gauges are getting lit when the park/head lamps are On. No gauges are working.
Old 27th May 2013, 23:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a soft failure. When the VSS signal is corrupted, the car shuts off the meters. In Ford, the display show dashes, and dials zero out. I had the same issue sometime back. Could just be a loose connection, or sensor failure. Costs just 2k for the fiesta, but am sure it's cheaper for a swift.
For the Ford, it's under the battery. If it's the same here, you could try fiddling the connections for your own sanity..
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 23:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

The instrument cluster for the Swift diesel is about a thousand bucks if I recall correctly.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 05:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The instrument cluster for the Swift diesel is about a thousand bucks if I recall correctly.
This cluster is the one with the tachometer and could be similar for VDi and VXi. Whether this could be a cluster problem or the VSS malfunction as opined in the above posts?

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th May 2013 at 05:59.
Old 28th May 2013, 05:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

if it lights up fine, then this could be a vss malfunction as mentioned by mayank. the car should be safe to drive. do take it to MASS and let us know of the results.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 06:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
if it lights up fine, then this could be a vss malfunction as mentioned by mayank. the car should be safe to drive. do take it to MASS and let us know of the results.
That is my first assignment of the day and I am waiting for the next three hours to pass quickly. I would definitely post the proceedings. I spoke to three known guys at the MASS yesterday itself but they have not opined anything conclusively.
In the fuse cluster below the steering there is a fuse for the Meter but as you have said the meters are getting lit up and hence VSS would be the first focus.

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th May 2013 at 06:15.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Update. The MASS team arrived very promptly at 0845 hrs and checked with the aid of the diagnostic unit and no faults or error codes were seen. Taken the vehicle to the SS and when I called at 1130, it was informed that trouble shooting was still going on. I went there at 1400 hrs and by that the fault was identified with the instrument cluster unit. Two small relays out of five on the rear had some black marks identifiable as some shorting and there was a faint smell too.
The unfortunate part is that a spare unit is not available at that SS and a unit was located at another SS but is being checked if that unit has arrived on some specific order. If so, the other option is Express ordering on Maruti, which would consume a minimum period of six days. My hard luck.

Eddy is correct, as he has indirectly gave the clue by mentioning the probable cost of the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 20:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Cluster arrived yesterday late evening from MZ and the vehicle was picked up by the ASS today and will be back any time now. In the failed cluster, the odo indicates when the reset button is pressed and this is the only indication available.
My only worry is that when the new unit is fitted the odo will start from zero which would not be appreciated by prospective buyers when I want to sell this car later on.
Attached Thumbnails
Instrument Cluster Failure-1.jpg  

Instrument Cluster Failure-2.jpg  

Instrument Cluster Failure-3.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th June 2013 at 20:45.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:37   #12
BHPian

Instrument Cluster display failure - Ford Figo

Noticed something strange while on a drive on Saturday. I had just flipped the indicator to turn right and noticed the absence of the clicking noise accompanying the blinking of the light. What followed was even more of a shock. All lighting on the instrument cluster had gone off including, the digital display for ODO and trip meter.

However, the actual indicator lights were working as were the headlights. Even the Radio was working fine with no issue to its display. Thinking it was a blown fuse, I continued until I reached my first stop. When returning, the instrument cluster lighting was still out, only now I was not able to crank the engine. The radio and headlights were all still fine.

Finally, I had to call RSA, for whom I had to wait an hour. Meanwhile, I got down to checking the fuse box and after removing and reinserting a couple of the fuses, the cluster lights up and the car started successfully. Just to confirm if there was no issue, I turned it off and tried starting again. No luck. The lighting was out again. The RSA arrived and of course the car shows no problems, lights up and starts at first try.

Just to appease me, the guy lifts the hood, plays with the battery, sniffs at battery fluid, and then proceeds relieve me of the burden of carrying Rs. 850 in my pocket, citing RSA charges, pronounces his grand verdict of 'Battery maybe problem saar. Get it checked' and goes on his merry way. Oh, by the way, Ford RSA call centre had specified earlier that RSA charges would have to be paid irrespective of success of diagnosis / repair. The RSA mechanic mentioned that it was possible a couple of cells could be getting cut off intermittently, the resulting low amperage being the reason for the electrical issues.

All through yesterday, the Figo plods on, working when it wants to, starting when it feels like it, generally flipping the bird to its human masters. It will be taken (bound and dragged if it resists) to Ford Service today for its exorcism.

The Figo (D) has done most of its running in the city (43000 in about 25 months) and has generally not been too fussy. Hopefully this turns out to be something minor as well.

Has anyone faced similar issues? If yes, what was the diagnosis?
Old 7th April 2014, 15:56   #13
BHPian

Re: Instrument Cluster display failure - Ford Figo

I have not faced any issues like this. But clearly its not only battery issue. battery cannot go kaput in just 25 months. Some terminals may be loosened and needs a re fix. There may be problem with the fuse rack too.An automobile electrician needs to look through it completely.
Old 8th April 2014, 03:03   #14
BHPian

Re: Instrument Cluster display failure - Ford Figo

Hi RobC,

It seems like some carbon on the contacts to me, either on the fuse socket or the socket which connects the instrument cluster. Battery should be fine according to me. I would recommend to take it to the workshop ASAP and have the problem checked thoroughly. I am not sure about other cars but Ford is programmed this way if it does not detect the odometer the car won't start.

nIk
Old 8th April 2014, 08:09   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
All lighting on the instrument cluster had gone off including, the digital display for ODO and trip meter. However, the actual indicator lights were working as were the headlights. Even the Radio was working fine with no issue to its display. Thinking it was a blown fuse
Check fuse and the wiring from the fuse box. Could be some kind of loose contact. I had the same problem in my Karizma where all wad working except for the instrumentation console. Reached home and checked the fuse box, found the 15A fuse blown, replaced it and all is normal.

Quote:
Just to confirm if there was no issue, I turned it off and tried starting again. No luck. The lighting was out again.
Battery terminals loose connection?

Quote:
Oh, by the way, Ford RSA call centre had specified earlier that RSA charges would have to be paid irrespective of success of diagnosis / repair.
This is daylight robbery. Not at all accepted and how can RSA charge if the work done is not successful?! Do they expect customers to be stranded on the road? Unbelievable!

Quote:
The RSA mechanic mentioned that it was possible a couple of cells could be getting cut off intermittently, the resulting low amperage being the reason for the electrical issues.
Can you check the voltage it is developing when in ignition, when cranking the engine and once the engine has started. These values should give you the health of the battery and alternator too.

How long does it take for the engine to start when you twist the key?

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks