Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 00:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Lumigrids - Available for Cars?

With LED lights this may not work, but with powerful lasers something like this can be designed to be totally workable for cars by increasing the projection distance to 100 feet. Not a bad idea at all.

but, in a car, what is the use of such a thing anyway, as headlights will illuminate most potholes anyways.
Old 31st May 2013, 10:41   #17
BANNED

Any one have any idea from where i can purchase it ?
Old 31st May 2013, 14:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand how this could be useful. Even if a cyclist is using the lumigrid, wouldn't lack of illumination prevent from deciding how to proceed around the broken grid?

I think it would make more sense to use LED based white/yellow light through a dynamo rather than this grid. Also, is this like a regular production thing or a concept?
Old 1st June 2013, 09:37   #19
BHPian

Interesting concept. And looks bloody awesome. Very Tron like. Imagining it on a jet black car, preferably a camaro brings a James May'esque fizzing sensation!

However, it would be useful only when lighting in limited and positioning is apt. For example, a bicycle.

The reasons are two fold -

1 - The grid itself wont be visible when the headlamps/fog lamps are turned on. (The image is modified to up the brightness.)

2 - It will effective when placed at an angle similar to the one shown on the image, ie on the handle bar aimed downward. However, when installed specifically on a car, the closer to ground position would render it next to useless.

Also, to be effective in a car, the beam would have to sufficiently strong to project quite a long way and preferably mounted on the roof. Unless its a SUV. In which case you don't really need to worry about potholes etc. Ironic.

The easiest thing for cars is to have projectors in fog lamps. You can also have bare HID lamps installed. The only requirement is that the beam should be even, without artifacts and as parallel to the road as possible. If aimed correctly, potholes will appear dark and protruding objects will cast a long shadow. Very very effective. I say this, because this is what I have in my car.

I'll shoot an image and post later if you guys are interested.

Most Viewed