Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 15:30   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TSI : 90 or 105 PS power?! Clarified: pg 5

Dear All,

Starting a new thread for discussion on the engine power rating confusion that has suddenly erupted over the last few days.

This thead will help all existing and potential VW Polo GT TSI buyers with information on this issue under one single thread

Please continue the discussion on this topic in this thread and lets please keep the official test drive review free of this particular discussion so people can find relevant buyer perspective information with ease on the official test drive thread.

Cheers
Mobike008
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:07   #47
BHPian

Hi guys,

This issue seems to have come out of confusion between Engine code and engine number. According to a friend in the industry, Engine code is standard for a certain manufacturer through out the world and where as engine number could be country specific. As drpudhi pointed out in his post WRT my VIN, CBZB is still the engine code(and a 105ps engine) despite engine number being CBZD.

@Karl, why don't you PM Wildon with the VIN you got from the dealer and get a complete data set for the car to allay any more doubts?

IMO, once Karl gets an official reply from VW we all should just put this issue behind and move on!

Cheers,
D.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:35   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It would be great if you could do a dyno run as well.

That will put everything to rest.
Haha... i wouldn't bet on that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
In any case, does anyone know of a reputed workshop with a dyno in Pune or Bombay for that matter?
This is the only one i know of :

LINK

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 17:44   #49
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post

But checking up my RC, I found irregularities including the no.of cylinders as 3 and engine power as 77'BHP' and the Type of Body as Sedan. When I collected it yesterday, I just verified my VIN and Engine no. at the dealership and left, as i was in a hurry. I am really disappointed at myself now.
Is there a process to correct this, and can I hold my dealer responsible for this? (I will get it done, once the confusion over the engine number is settled)
What I take from this is that your dealer has registered your car as a regular Polo petrol maybe which may entitle it to lower taxes. So he has just paid the tax as a regular Polo petrol the ex-showroom price is much lower and pocketed the rest of the money he has taken from you. Quite a scam if this is what he's doing.

Please check with the dealer and take advice from other more knowledgeable form members to get this corrected.
Old 31st May 2013, 18:49   #50
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI: Engine Power Rating Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
What I take from this is that your dealer has registered your car as a regular Polo petrol maybe which may entitle it to lower taxes. So he has just paid the tax as a regular Polo petrol the ex-showroom price is much lower and pocketed the rest of the money he has taken from you. Quite a scam if this is what he's doing.

Hi thumpingheart,
I did check the receipts for Registration and life time tax, they all tally with Polo GT Ex-Showroom. I followed up with the dealer yesterday and they have passed on all the blame to Local RTO and their agent for not verifying it. It seems to be the same case with other GT owners in my town. I have asked my dealer to make the 5 corrections I wanted including body type (which was entered as sedan).

@Mods: Posting the same in official review thread for continuity, please remove this post if this is considered too irrelevant to the subject thread and as a duplicate.

Thanks and cheers,
D.

Last edited by delta5 : 31st May 2013 at 18:52.
Old 31st May 2013, 19:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

EDIT

Just read the post below.

Since this is happening with all GT owners in your location the picture is somewhat clear.

It seems that Polo GT details have been incorrectly entered into the RTO's data base without checking the facts.

This is something that should have been caught by the dealership's personnel/agent at the time of data entry at the RTO itself. Actually I am sure they must have but allowed it to pass (to be handled at a later date) in view of the impending deliveries. It does sound oddball but it does take time to change details in the RTO database, it is not an excuse to let it pass though.

Quote:

Hi thumpingheart,
I did check the receipts for Registration and life time tax, they all tally with Polo GT Ex-Showroom. I followed up with the dealer yesterday and they have passed on all the blame to Local RTO and their agent for not verifying it. It seems to be the same case with other GT owners in my town. I have asked my dealer to make the 5 corrections I wanted including body type (which was entered as sedan).

Thanks and cheers,
D.

Please give some credit to the clerks at various RTOs. They are not a bunch of toddlers who will let dealers shortchange them/the exchequer.

This is just another case of the dealership not filling in details correctly and will have to rectified at the RTO level. The concerned member should take it up with the dealership and get this sorted out. Spend time with them in drafting the application/filling up the required form to ensure there are no further slips and then get their personnel to do the leg work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post

Please check with the dealer and take advice from other more knowledgeable form members to get this corrected.

Last edited by khoj : 31st May 2013 at 19:22.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 22:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

This issue seems to have come out of confusion between Engine code and engine number. According to a friend in the industry, Engine code is standard for a certain manufacturer through out the world and where as engine number could be country specific. As drpudhi pointed out in his post WRT my VIN, CBZB is still the engine code(and a 105ps engine) despite engine number being CBZD.

@Karl, why don't you PM Wildon with the VIN you got from the dealer and get a complete data set for the car to allay any more doubts?

IMO, once Karl gets an official reply from VW we all should just put this issue behind and move on!

Cheers,
D.
That's right, though internationally the first four letters of the engine number ARE the engine code. Perhaps VW India is following a slightly different approach. At any rate, I received an email from VW today saying they will clarify by Monday evening. The wait continues...
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 15:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Can someone accurately translate this

achtung! bei pruef und einstellarbeiten motorkennbuchst CBZCxxxxx beachten

This sticker was on the engine of the car that was meant to be mine.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone accurately translate this

achtung! bei pruef und einstellarbeiten motorkennbuchst CBZCxxxxx beachten

This sticker was on the engine of the car that was meant to be mine.
Google translator:
attention! at pruef and adjustment works motorkennbuchst note CBZCxxxxx

Pruef seems something related to testing.
motorkennbuchst seems to be the engine type
Old 1st June 2013, 16:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Google translator:
attention! at pruef and adjustment works motorkennbuchst note CBZCxxxxx

Pruef seems something related to testing.
motorkennbuchst seems to be the engine type
Hmmmm...interesting! I can't wait to get VW's official response on this issue. I wonder why it takes so long to respond if there is no question over what the engine spec is!
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:15   #56
BHPian

Today got a follow up call from VW for getting my feedback. I enquired about the power rating issue, obviously the lady had no idea about the same. But she promised to get back with an answer.
Old 4th June 2013, 07:07   #57
BHPian

Quote:
That's right, though internationally the first four letters of the engine number ARE the engine code. Perhaps VW India is following a slightly different approach. At any rate, I received an email from VW today saying they will clarify by Monday evening. The wait continues...
Hi kbk_75

Any response from VW yet?

Cheers,
Old 4th June 2013, 09:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Hi kbk_75

Any response from VW yet?

Cheers,
Apparently they've forwarded the query to Germany!
kbk_75 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 12:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently they've forwarded the query to Germany!
Any further updates on this issue yet?
Old 7th June 2013, 18:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can all TSI owners confirm their engine numbers please (just the first four letters)?

I just discovered that my car (that I have not yet taken delivery of) has an engine number that begins with CBZC. Did some digging around and the CBZC engines are 90 PS versions, NOT 105 PS. The 105 PS engines are CBZB and the 86 PS versions CBZA.

If VW is offering a 90 PS motor and marketing it as a 105 PS engine here, I will not accept the car. I drove the 1.2 TSI 105 PS in Denmark and it felt a lot quicker than the car I drove here for the test drive. I assumed it was because it was detuned, but if VW are knowingly selling a 90 PS version of their engine as a 105 PS we've got a problem on our hands!
Thanks to kbk for bringing this up. This is exactly why forums like T-Bhp are needed. VW simply has NO excuse for this slip-up. They have to provide a reasonable explanation for the mix-up. One entirely plausible explanation is that the CBZB engine has been tuned up specifically for India to generate 105 bhp. If that is the case why does an email get sent to Germany for clarification.Do none of the Indian managers or a tech heads have a clue? Very disturbing if that is the case.

I am not VW baiter but frankly VW and Skoda's treatment of it's consumers (existing and potential - right from the corporate level to the dealerships) is deplorable. Even on this issue, I can imagine the kind of furore this would have created if they had the same issue in one of the western countries.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks