Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 19:29   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Distilled water to top of coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysehgal View Post
I need some advice.
=====
Later I read that a 50-50 mixture of coolant & good quality distilled water is an alternative that is recommended, so that made me a bit comfortable about the situation since I was concerned about the corrosion and rusting.

However, this begs the question(s) - Is this common practice at all service centers? (Mine was a Hyundai). Is this done as a cost-cutting mechanism or there is some technical reason behind it?
Ideal scenario they should use the premixed coolant that is available with them. But most often if it is a minor top up, say couple of 100 ml most of these workshops use the distilled water.

Is it a cost cutting measure? Yes. Is it harmful, not really since adding few 100 ml of distilled water.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 20:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysehgal View Post
I need some advice.
Why was a top up necessary during the first service? Did you cover very long distance with the car or was the coolant level already low in the recovery tank at the time of buying the car? I remember it was at the lower level when I bought my car, and they topped up till the upper level with premix coolant during the first service and charged me for it.

If they topped up a couple of hundred ml of distilled water in the recovery tank (not in the radiator), it is no big deal. Actually it is mainly the water that cools the engine, the so called coolant is a chemical which mainly prevents the water from freezing and also acts as an anticorrosive.

When you go for the next service you can tell them to top up with premix coolant and that you will pay for it if necessary.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 05:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Why was a top up necessary during the first service? Did you cover very long distance with the car or was the coolant level already low in the recovery tank at the time of buying the car? I remember it was at the lower level when I bought my car, and they topped up till the upper level with premix coolant during the first service and charged me for it.
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I did go on a somewhat long-distance drive to Agra and back (Delhi NCR) during a recent weekend before the service. I did not specifically check the coolant level during the time of purchase, but I remember the team specifically mention coolant, engine oil, 5 liters of fuel, and a few other things were done and checked at their end as part of the pre-inspection.

It seemed that the service engineer added a few 100 ml of "distilled" water (he claimed it was that, in a Kinley bottle). So as per the other comments here, I guess its nothing for me to be alarmed about

Thanks again!
-- Akshay
Old 8th June 2022, 13:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

Re: Distilled Water : A scam running?

I have used Tap water / drinking water in radiator, windscreen washer and battery occasionally.

Not had undesirable effects over the past 3 decades and having owned multiple vehicles and multiple brands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks