Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 20:37   #1

Wiper smacking the A-Pillar

With the Monsoons arriving in Mumbai last week, the most crucial invention "The Windshield Wiper" comes into full time duty while driving. And this very part on my Swift has been spoiling my commute, I do like driving in the rains but not with a constant noise. I do not have a really good ICE in this car, which would deviate my attention from the noise too, if I did have one I wouldn't have noticed it too. A bit on the history of the car, its a used 80000 + kms run 2007 Swift Vxi. This is my sisters first car/my family's first car in Mumbai. I have owned a per-worshiped 2005 Hyundai Getz GL earlier in Bangalore which I sold before I reallocated to Mumbai earlier this year.

The driver side wiper when at the highest setting hits the A-pillar constantly creating a irritating noise and the vibrations of this are felt all the way to the pedals.

I did visit the MASS, Car Kraft located in Mulund, Mumbai yesterday and as per them the driver side wiper arm has some play in it thus tightening the bolt that connects the arm to the wiper assembly wouldn't make any difference. They recommended a "Wiper Linkage" replacement which costs around Rs. 1700.

I did try some DIY repairs last night, by shifting the wiper a little below the position it was set at earlier, this did stop the wiper from hitting the A-Pillar, but now its smacks the cowl that covers the Wiper Assembly, it does reduce the noise, but the irritating vibrations at the pedals continue.

I do plan to sell this car in a few months time, and have been trying to reduce the maintenance costs. Suspension, Steering, and Clutch, all 4 Door Hinges Repairs etc. were done 2 months back and did create a pretty big hole in the pocket. Although these may be required on 80k run car, but I was cheated by a used car dealer with the ODO having 33k kms when my sister picked the car up last year.

I was wondering if I could pick this part from CST Road Kurla or Chor Bazaar, although buying parts from there would mean supporting theft. Do we get parts of newer gen. cars or its Vintages only. Any pointers ?

Have any Swift owners faced a similar problem and did they manage to resolve this problem without replacing the wiper linkage assembly ?
lakhanironak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 20:40   #2

Re: Wiper smacking the A-Pillar

Just replaced the wiper linkage assembly (MGS) for Rs. 2100. Issue Resolved Got new Bosch OEM wiper blades too.
lakhanironak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 05:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakhanironak View Post

The driver side wiper when at the highest setting hits the A-pillar constantly creating a irritating noise and the vibrations of this are felt all the way to the pedals.

I did visit the MASS, Car Kraft located in Mulund, Mumbai yesterday and as per them the driver side wiper arm has some play in it thus tightening the bolt that connects the arm to the wiper assembly wouldn't make any difference. They recommended a "Wiper Linkage" replacement which costs around Rs. 1700.

I did try some DIY repairs last night, by shifting the wiper a little below the position it was set at earlier, this did stop the wiper from hitting the A-Pillar, but now its smacks the cowl that covers the Wiper Assembly, it does reduce the noise, but the irritating vibrations at the pedals continue.

Have any Swift owners faced a similar problem and did they manage to resolve this problem without replacing the wiper linkage assembly ?
Hi,

I have the exact same issue. I want to understand a few things:
a. I have observed the same behavior for the last one year but given the low running (almost 6k all of last year) I didnt drive in much rains. Is there any way it can be adjusted, if at all? What did you research tell you?

Can I go to an outside shop for the adjustment, or even they will recommend the same?

b. What happens if I ignore it? Its very annoying because of the clatter it makes, but am I destrying the mechanism by not changing it?

In the interim, i spoke with a local BHPian, and he's advised changing it, though I'm loathe in changing this in the car if its going to be sold in a few months or an year. He also said that ignoring it won't lead to any issues with the wiper! I'm curious to learn why you decided to replace it.
Old 27th July 2014, 06:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Is there any way it can be adjusted, if at all?

Can I go to an outside shop for the adjustment, or even they will recommend the same?
Try it !
the base of the wiper arm has a cover that you can flip open. Once it opens, use a spanner to remove the nut. Take out the wiper arm and re-position it.

If this doesnt help - you could check with a local garage. If he also says replace, then go to the MASS
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 01:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Try it !
the base of the wiper arm has a cover that you can flip open. Once it opens, use a spanner to remove the nut. Take out the wiper arm and re-position it.
Hi,

MASS did exactly as you described and it worked just fine. It took on heavy rains near Madurai in the recent drive and did just fine. Good that it didn't need any replacements.

Posting as an FYI for those who may get swindled into changing it - atleast a try at adjustment is a good idea.

Most Viewed