Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2006, 13:28   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire
Hey buddy...why dont you extend the inclination from the road til the end of your car park...guess someone has already suggested this idea....wel the inclination wil also be reduced.....
ya, this is what i had designed :( it will eatup all of my portico....am hoping there might be something better.
Old 31st May 2006, 14:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

what about other cars ?????how do the others park their cars ??
Old 31st May 2006, 16:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
what about other cars ?????how do the others park their cars ??
this is my own house :(

looks like the inclination is too steep, for any workaournds......i am already negotiating for a paid parking space near by.

Any guys thanks for ur suggestions.

naveen, u did some great simulations......hope they might be useful in cases where the inclination is just a little bad and not hopeless like in this case.

BTW, just wondering will santro/wagon-r be able to climb this slope?
Old 31st May 2006, 16:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

How about posting a picture of the problem area which gives an idea of the portico, slope and road ? A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.
Old 31st May 2006, 20:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi venkat,

I was tempted to solve this not-so-easy geometry puzzle... here are a couple of solutions that I think should work, assuming following:

-ground clearance = 17cm, to have some margine took just 15cm.
-wheel base = 248cm

You need to have an angle of parking surface to the ramp of 166.2 deg. or more (measured from lower side) in order to ensure that car's bottom doesn't touch the ground. Worst case is when the top of ramp is in the middle of two wheels. To be more precise, If the surface is irregular, then it is the angle between lines drawn from a point on road which comes closest to the car's body to contact patches of front and rear wheels

- as per your measurements, you have to raise the ramp by 76.2cm as you travel 254cm i.e. 30%, which creates an angle lesser than required. If you create a ramp with 166.2 deg. angle from parking place towards the road, then you will be left with an abrupt 5-6 inch tall step as you reach the road. This may work fine, but better solution is to create two slopes. An example that meets the criteria is as follows-

1. create 1st slope of 40% gradient for 1st 100cm, i.e. raise it by 40cm as you move 100cm horizongally.

2. create another slope from that point to your parking area. This will have 36.2/154= 23.5% gradient

If my judgement is correct, even with 40% slope front bumper should manage to be safe... If that is not true then above scheme won't work! I think you can figure that out quite easily by taking measurements.

Hope this helps
Old 31st May 2006, 20:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
this is my own house :(

looks like the inclination is too steep, for any workaournds......i am already negotiating for a paid parking space near by.

Any guys thanks for ur suggestions.
if my solution works, then I deserve some royalty

Quote:
naveen, u did some great simulations......hope they might be useful in cases where the inclination is just a little bad and not hopeless like in this case.
I believe he is doing 3D simulations, but thats not required, 2D should be enough

Quote:
BTW, just wondering will santro/wagon-r be able to climb this slope?
lesser the wheelbase and higher the GC, easier it becomes. these car may be able to climb this... everything has pros & cons
Old 31st May 2006, 21:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr
You need to make a temporary wooden ramp that will have a longer base say upto 200 inches from the edge of your portico. You need to keep the height to match the portico base. This will extend longer to the road. As you cannot keep this permanently, you will have to use this only when you park or take your car out.
30"x200"is 2.5 feet x 16 feet.... do you expect him to use it on temporary basis, as and when required ??? where will he keep it ?? even if there is enough space, he has to hire a crane as well, whenever he wants to park the car or take it out...
Old 31st May 2006, 21:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

how much is the overhang on the back in baleno, did u try reversing and parking it?

just a thought.
Old 1st June 2006, 10:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
how much is the overhang on the back in baleno, did u try reversing and parking it? just a thought.
@vivek, now that's a good example of out-of-the-box thinking.
But then, I guess, the Baleno's bent-downwards exhaust pipe might scrape the ramp.
Old 1st June 2006, 12:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

I too think so, because of exhaust (and its bend) the back side is equally prone to scraping as the front

I was wondering, does GC spec of a car account for such things like this bend or mud-flaps? what about load, is it at full load? whoever knows, please throw some light...
Old 1st June 2006, 17:08   #26
BHPian

I think GC is calculated from the lowest point of the car without load. Not sure , remember reading it some where but not able to recollect.

Deepu
Old 2nd June 2006, 00:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

just had a look at drawings in the baleno leaflet (which illustrate various dimensions) ... both front and rear bumpers protrude too much beyond wheels, its little more than 1/3rd of the wheelbase! This will make it difficult to climb from plane ground to a ramp or descending from it. Bumpers will touch the ramp as the car starts climbing or ends descending. Looks like front bumper can manage only up to 20-22% max. slope, the rear one may be slightly better. Existing 30% itself is bad enough to cause this problem (did not notice before that naveen had already seen this in his simulations). Therefore, while two slope scheme that I suggested would have solved bottom scraping problem, it makes it worser for bumpers... so it stands ruled out
Old 30th June 2006, 16:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Venkat, by now you might have realized this, but just in case you haven't, here is my conclusion....

there are 3 problems,

- when you are about to climb the ramp, front bumpers will touch it
- when rear wheels comes near the start of the ramp, the front one will be roughly near the other end of the ramp. Rear bumpers can now touch the road.
- As you proceed, the top of the ramp will scrape the bottom in between front and rear wheels.

With different designs for the ramp, you can solve either 1st and 3rd problem. When you solve the 1st, 3rd one become worsers and similarly the other way round. But for 2nd problem, the only solution is is to either lower the top of the ramp or raise the bottom. any fancy curve is not going to help. I don't think it is practical to raise a public road, so you are left only with the other option (remove your constraint in the first place!) Unless of course you are using rest of the options like using wooden blocks or a rented parking in your neighbourhood (personally, I would hate these alternatives)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks