Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 10:15   #1
BHPian

Battery dead! Help!

A friends 8 month old Indigo's battery died after a 10 day hiatus. We then jump started it and kept it running for about 30-40 minutes at about 1500 - 2000 rpm (also went for a drive without lights etc). It refused to start after this period (only feeble lights from the console). A few questions and suggestions required:

1) Is it okay for a battery (Exide maintenance free) to go dead in 10 days? The remote locking system (autocop?) was active in this period.

2) How long should a car be run when it's jump started before you know the battery will not die?

Help!

(Not so) Superavi
Old 1st June 2006, 10:27   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Faulty wiring it seems, some wiring touching the body or some other metal parts. I had kept my car (santro) for 1 and half months without starting with the shock sensor + keyless lock on. And the car started in the first crank. You should take the battery out and give it for charging at the local battery dealer he will charge u Rs 20 or so. If you again get the same problem then check ur wiring.
Old 1st June 2006, 10:35   #3
BHPian

Its in warranty if its 10 months old, ask for a free replacement of the battery at the dealer...Just to advise you, it must be faulty connection somewhere which has drained the juice out of the battery..!
Old 1st June 2006, 12:35   #4
BHPian

Thanks aZa, wolfinstein!

So I was right, i'd advised my friend to not worry about the battery for the 10 days, and he comes back to find it completely dead!

What about the time required to re-juice the battery? And do we now go and arm twist Exide to giving us a new battery?

Thanks again fellows!

Superavi

Last edited by superavi : 1st June 2006 at 12:37.
Old 1st June 2006, 13:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

It must have been faulty wiring... it can also happen if any of the lights were left on by mistake, or any trunk/boot or cabin lights which have automatic switches to turn them off after closing respective doors are remaining ON. It is important to maintain the battery in charged state for its prolonged life, so advise your friend to limit electrical usage to bare minimum when engine is not running (for his next battery )
Old 1st June 2006, 13:58   #6
BHPian

Not exatcly, Exide comes no where in the picture if its a New Car...! The showroom will have to replace at their cost...provide you a service battery if its not readily available..!

If you have purchased it from your garage, then also no such issue- Your garage will place a complaint for you and Exide service will check the battery and then replace it..!
Old 1st June 2006, 14:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

I might be the problem with the alternater also. Might be It might not be charging the battery and vehicle was running on battery... when the battery went down the engine stopped (It is a diesel vehicle I know there must be a soliened or some thing to keep the engine running)..............

The battery will get charged in about what say half hour for the next self to work but need nearly 2-3 hours to get fully charged state.........
Old 1st June 2006, 14:10   #8
BHPian

I didnt mention this upfront but it's a petrol Indigo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks