Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2006, 02:02   #16
BHPian

Well, there is a way to put it across...

Quote:
Originally Posted by axcman
Hi Guys

Note from mod:
" Please use proper english ". There is something called punctuation.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th June 2006 at 01:03.
Mistake is a mistake, irrespective who does it...
there is a way to put it across...
I really do not appreciate this.
'aint that rude???
Old 19th August 2011, 00:24   #17
BHPian

Heart transplant (Engine Change) for an old lady (Maruti 1000)

Hi everyone, I am now a proud owner of a Maruti 1000. It has run 46000 kms in 17 years, really in stock form without any kinds of mods or aftermarket fittings. It is not so noisy as the newer esteems are and I need to take care of some serviceing and replaceing of rubber parts and deal with a few rust spots here and there.

While using in the city or highway the 40 bhp engine starts to show its inadequacies, extremely slow acceleration, a/c is weak etc etc... I have been reading up on all the engine plonk stories and the idea came to mind- I should put in a bigger engine in there or make it a bigger heart. I have the following things in mind:

a- Enlarge the existing engine and plonk bigger pistons in there.
b- Put in a esteem 1.3 engine in there.
c- Put in a zen 1.0 engine
d- Put a baleno 1.5 engine.

I heard that carberated engines are better to plonk in my car because my car is already a carberated one.

This is where I need your help expert members, which is the best option from above and how to do it without damaging the existing structure of the car.

Also I need the Kollam or Trivandrum members to help me find used engines in good condition or

tell me some good garages where I can do the enlargement and overhole of the engine and

a good body shop to dent paint and repair the body very well.

Budget is not an issue, but I want to do a quality job for my baby.

Thankyou eveyone.

Mods please move to apropriate thread if this is the wrong place.

Last edited by knob : 19th August 2011 at 00:31.
Old 19th August 2011, 00:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Heart transplant for an old lady

If you are ready to go for a baleno engine, why dont you look for an all better Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. You will get plenty good of examples for under 1 lac.

The money involved, the paper work headache, and the reliability after the swap is not worth half a GTX.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 01:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Heart transplant (Engine Change) for an old lady (Maruti 1000)

Some quick inputs on your Options

a) Can be done at the hands of a good tuner to a tune similar to that of an esteem & probably the most hasselfree option(no sourcing of engine, RTO issues etc etc)
b) Tt will merely make it an esteem, not worth it considering the hassles with RTO etc.
c) Why? It has practically the same engine
d) Makes sense will give you real good power to weight ratio but do remember you will have to spend on better brakes & tires & might be suspension too
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 02:47   #20
BHPian

Re: Engine Transplant For 1000

If you really want to replace your engine, then I think the esteems would be the best fit. The Baleno engine, I am not sure if it can be shoe horned into the engine bay. Besides modifications to your suspension set up, you may also have to change the gear box. The whole job has to be done by a highly skilled mechanic or else you will end up with a white elephant. The cons of an engine replacement far outweigh the cons.
The safest option is to retune your present engine. Carbureted engines are far easier and cheaper to tune than their modern counterparts. You can also try changing jet size and putting in bigger ones. Or the whole carburetor itself can be replaced, put in performance air filter, cams, free-flow exhausts etc. The old gyspy MG 410 came with the same 970 cc engine, and was modified extensively for rally use. So if you can find some one who can do that, I think it would be the best option.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:27   #21
BHPian

Re: Engine Transplant For 1000

Thankyou for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you are ready to go for a baleno engine, why dont you look for an all better Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. You will get plenty good of examples for under 1 lac. The money involved, the paper work headache, and the reliability after the swap is not worth half a GTX.
I already have bought this car and would like to keep it till it crumbles, and the hassles of getting parts and good service for palio is too much. This will be used as a weekend drive and so paper work and all wont be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Some quick inputs on your Options

a) Can be done at the hands of a good tuner to a tune similar to that of an esteem & probably the most hasselfree option(no sourcing of engine, RTO issues etc etc)
b) Tt will merely make it an esteem, not worth it considering the hassles with RTO etc.
c) Why? It has practically the same engine
d) Makes sense will give you real good power to weight ratio but do remember you will have to spend on better brakes & tires & might be suspension too
a) Tuner is a problem, I also think this is best option, but I dont know any tuner kind of people. Also this is an F10 engine. So which pistons from the G series engines will suit best for this and to what size should i enlarge the cylinders?

b) Yes esteem like but esteems have loads of power.

c) I read the carbs have 50 hp and mpi's have 64, so I considered them as I only have 40 hp.

d) For this again I need to know some good guy who can do the modifications at my place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
If you really want to replace your engine, then I think the esteems would be the best fit. The Baleno engine, I am not sure if it can be shoe horned into the engine bay. Besides modifications to your suspension set up, you may also have to change the gear box. The whole job has to be done by a highly skilled mechanic or else you will end up with a white elephant. The cons of an engine replacement far outweigh the cons.
The safest option is to retune your present engine. Carbureted engines are far easier and cheaper to tune than their modern counterparts. You can also try changing jet size and putting in bigger ones. Or the whole carburetor itself can be replaced, put in performance air filter, cams, free-flow exhausts etc. The old gyspy MG 410 came with the same 970 cc engine, and was modified extensively for rally use. So if you can find some one who can do that, I think it would be the best option.
Gyspy esteem etc had new g seris engines and i have old f series. Also I am wanting mpi engine as they can make much Hp, but I dont know what kind of parts are needed for converting it to mpi. If i cannot do it I will stick to carb esteem engine only if enlargement is not possible on my f10.

Requoting my old request:
Quote:
Kollam or Trivandrum members- help me find used engines in good condition or tell me some good garages where I can do the enlargement and overhole of the engine and a good body shop to dent paint and repair the body very well. I need to buy some used alloys- please direct me to this dealers also. Is there any clearlens lites available for my car?
Thankyou.

Last edited by knob : 20th August 2011 at 13:35. Reason: Missed points.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks