Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Skoda Superb Repair Costs

Hi Folks

Got a Second hand Skoda Superb 2010 model. Gave it for some minor repairs and was a bit surprised seeing the cost of repairs presented. Here are some of the problems and cost associated with repairs

1. Wiper blade replacement - Rs. 4500.

2. Head Light Bracket broken (washers are intact) - Service advisor claims, that the bracket cannot be replaced/repaired and the whole unit has to be replaced. Cost about 38,000

3. Rear Center Arm Rest handle broken - SA claims that again just the handle cannot be replaced entire arm rest has to be replaced. Cost about 47,000

4. Fuel Filler Door not getting locked when car is locked - Actuator is spoilt. Cost for replacement Rs. 2000. Currently not in stock will have to be ordered and will take a week to arrive

5. Boot Lid open button not working properly - replacement cost about 7000. Currently not in stock will have to be ordered and will take a week to arrive

Folks need your advice on points 2 and 3. Are they really that expensive or can i get it cheaper from a spare parts store like shetty motors. Even if i get it will the Skoda workshop replace it and charge me only labor ?
jinu_joseph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 21:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Superb Repair Costs

1) Buy wiper blades from Hella / Bosch. Fit them yourself. Takes 2 minutes for 99% cars

2&3) If the broken bracket part is still available, it can be glued/fixed back together by a good mechanic. Same for the arm rest handle.
If you post photos of both the issues, I might be able to suggest something.
Old 4th July 2013, 22:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not much of a help in here, but 47k for the armrest!!!!

For Godsakes its just a piece of cushion hinged on and some plastic cupholders.
Even if there are any buttons to control the audio, they can't possibly cost this much.!!!
Old 4th July 2013, 22:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Get a quote from www.skodaspares.com. They will ask for chassis no and show you part drawing. You can pay via PayPal
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 01:52   #5
BHPian

Welcome to Czech Republic - Skoda says to you!
I knew Skodas and in general the Germans were exorbitant but 4.5k for wiper blades?
This is way too costly.

As Abhi has suggested, you can do it for yourself, and also if you buy it from outside will it be such a costly affair?

-Bhargav
Old 5th July 2013, 07:46   #6
BHPian

These prices are way off the mark.

Being in the industry, i can tell you- Dealers these days are able to make ony 2-3% on sale of a car due to huge overheads, so they try to get all of it from service/ accessories. Dont fall into this trap.

Go to a decent Bosch/ Mobil1 service center and the wipers should be max 1500, the remaining would depend on the damage, but surely lesser than your dealer.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 5th July 2013, 08:28   #7
BHPian

I am wondering here. Did you know what you are getting into before buying this one? Or it came that cheap that spending 1L plus on those repairs still make it good buy.

I am not doubting your decision, must be something you would have thought before putting your money right?

Apart from that i will not be of much help here.

It's just the blades or the arm that needs replacement?

You change 1 head light you are with one shining new and other dull. Was this involved in an accident that it broke?

If you can live with broken arm rest then use it just like that. Do some DIY.

Are these expenses the reason the first owner sold it?
Old 5th July 2013, 08:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Last time I got a quote for changing the OE wiper blade from the ASC was for Rs. 1500/- for a single wiper. Something seems wrong with your quotes.
Old 5th July 2013, 09:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Get a quote from www.skodaspares.com
Wrong link, my friend.

The correct link is http://www.skodaparts.com
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 10:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Are the wiper blades and arm rests of the Skoda made of Gold?

Wondering if anyone could post a list of Skoda/ VW spares with prices. Will help a lot of people to decide if they still want to buy these cars. This is because buying these cars is one thing and maintaining them at these exorbitant recurring costs is another.

Regards,
Saket
Old 5th July 2013, 11:33   #11
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

hi folks
thanks for your suggestion.. I knew skoda maintenance was expensive, but did not know it was this type of expensive. I was ok with spending upto a lakh for repairs after purchase say for a worn out suspension or some other similar damage, but definitely not spending 47k for a broken handle 37k for a broken bracket.
The car was in excellent condition and history check with the workshop clarified that there were no major repairs or accidents. Guess the previous owner also just ignored these damages.

Ajmat are you recommending getting the parts from skodaparts.com ? Would it not be more expensive if you take into account courier charges and customs duty ?

I am a little concerned with taking it to a regular mechanic given the amount of electronics and automation that goes into the car, one small push here or there and what was working could also conk off.

Wiper blades i am definitely replacing from outside, but other things i dont know, probably will have to live with the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
... Just go to a FNG for the Arm-rest as well. As per what you say, the handle is damaged, and I guess, it should not involve any of the electronic parts.
sorry about the ignorance, but what is FNG?

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2013 at 13:06. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 5th July 2013, 11:55   #12
BHPian

Sorry, but could not help laughing when I read 47k for the armrest. Do they provide gold biscuits complimentary with it? That is ridiculous.

Most service centres follow the policy of Replace rather then Repair. Just go to a FNG for the Arm-rest as well. As per what you say, the handle is damaged, and I guess, it should not involve any of the electronic parts.

Why don't you go and check with another Skoda A.S.S.?
Old 5th July 2013, 12:17   #13
BHPian

I had my Superb wipers replaced from a City Motors, opera house, last month, they stock all genuine parts, a pair of wipers (made in france) with the importers name etc stickered on the pack. cost me 2200. As you rightly mentioned autobahn charges, 3000+ for a set of two.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
sorry about the ignorance, but what is FNG?
FNG: Friendly Neighborhood Garage...the un-authorised service centres/ garages with good mechanics.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
I had my Superb wipers replaced from a City Motors, opera house, last month, they stock all genuine parts, a pair of wipers (made in france) with the importers name etc stickered on the pack. cost me 2200. As you rightly mentioned autobahn charges, 3000+ for a set of two.
JMD, where i went charges 4K for the same

Also what about the comment from ajmat about getting parts from skodaparts.com. Is this viable ?

Last edited by jinu_joseph : 5th July 2013 at 12:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks