Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Speeding Ticket

Hey guys,

Now a days there are a lot of speed walas standing on delhi streets and tehy catch you if you are doing anything above 60km/h and 60 is something that most of us easily cross, so the chances are more that we get caught. One of my friend told me if we use our dipper in front of ther cameras they cannot judge our speed is it right? This makes sence to me as they are usually out during the day. can any one throw some light on it?
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:57   #2
BHPian

Haha... that's rubbish! There was another silly rumour going around in Delhi that you can evade the speed guns by hanging a cd (compact disc) to yout RVM. According to them, the silvering on the cd refracts the infra red rays from the guns (i.e., it bounces it off the car) and renders the gun worthless! You tell me Pramod, how do you think using the dipper against their infra red speed guns is gonna save you?! And I don't seem to understand what camera you taking about? Is it the high-speed cams that are supposdly in those qualis police vans? Because even if the cam doesn't catch you the speed gun will! And usually the thulla's have those in their hands and aim it at the cars.

Godspeed.

Alok.

Last edited by ghostrider4385 : 2nd June 2006 at 16:01.
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:04   #3
BANNED

Hey, I dunno about flashing lights or hanging CDs in the RVM but I've only been caught once and that too coz I wanted to see what wud the cops say when they caught me driving at 130 kmph ... I knew they were standing at the spot and wanted to see the expression on their faces ... 400 bucks was worth it . TRUST ME ...

Anyways .. In delhi its very simpe not to get caught ... Improve your eye sight !!! Obviously they not gonna be standing in the inner lanes, etc so when u on the broad roads if you concentrate on looking for them you can spot them before they gun u .... thats the secret of me not getting tickets but still driving above 60 kmph ...

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:57   #4
BHPian

man ,i was given a ticket for driving at 83 kmph(there speed gun reading ) ,gosh i saw i skhoda guy fined for just 64 kmph....and then atleast a dozen more while i was dancing before the thullas to settle it for 50-100....but all in vain......still the sadist in me was happy ,not me alone......."SABKA KAT RAHA THA " before me.
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:00   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, I dunno about flashing lights or hanging CDs in the RVM but I've only been caught once and that too coz I wanted to see what wud the cops say when they caught me driving at 130 kmph ... I knew they were standing at the spot and wanted to see the expression on their faces ... 400 bucks was worth it . TRUST ME ...
If at all you were able to do 130 kmph, it is obvious that 60 kmph is an absurd speed limit. Why does the govt. permit powerful cars and build wide roads if the idea is to limit speeds to 60 kmph? Makes no sense to me. It will only result in further clogging of traffic and more pollution-- earlier, at least the fast guys would keep moving and let the sluggards get caught behind buses, etc. Now nobody has a chance of moving ahead and bigger traffic jams are more likely.
Quote:
Anyways .. In delhi its very simpe not to get caught ... Improve your eye sight !!! Obviously they not gonna be standing in the inner lanes, etc so when u on the broad roads if you concentrate on looking for them you can spot them before they gun u .... thats the secret of me not getting tickets but still driving above 60 kmph ...
Good job. These guys seldom deviate from a fixed routine. Once you know their habits and favourite spots, you can usually avoid getting caught.
Regards, rks
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

i was once driving down the delhi ring road and was doing around 75 - 80 on a flyover when a qualis came up real close to me from behind! I was wondering wots up with that guy when at the end of the flyover i saw traffic cops with speedgun in hand. Luckily it wasnt pointed at me at that time coz i was in the rightmost lane. But i did realise wot the qualis guy was trying to do. He was hiding behind my car!! Not really a wise thing to do but i guess he had a lot of faith in his reaction time and qualis brakes.
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is there any scientific study done on the speedlimits for a stretch of road or is it just the commonsense of the engineer and contractor that laid that road?
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:07   #8
BHPian

The cops stop you by standing in the middle of the road. I was once caught while coming down from the Punjabi bagh (or was it ESI) flyover and the radar was on a qualis. The guy would scan the cars on top of the flyover and announce the culprits (red zen, left lane, etc etc.) and then it was upto the cops to stop the guy. Imagine a cop standing in front of a speeding car. What kind of logic is that?
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:20   #9
BANNED

Your best bet would be to get those detection devices that are available abroad. They can tell you if there's an activated speed gun ahead, so you can slow down in time.

Costs quite a bit though. Was approx NZ$300 in Auckland the last time I checked (NZ$1 = Rs.27)
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:44   #10
rks
BANNED

Also at 60 kmph, a number of vehicles probably cannot even get into top gear. My Santro can get to 5th at 45-50 kmph on level road, but while going up slopes, higher speeds are needed to stay in 5th. I wonder about other cars (Indicas?). Again, 60 kmph limit cannot be good from the fuel economy/polllution point of view.
Regards, rks
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:56   #11
BHPian

Generally I have seen regular Speed Patrols both with the Hand held speed gun and the ones with the Interceptor concept and High Mounted Camera ( These are SUMO's BTW Not the PCR Qualis)- You can find them mostly at the Noida-Sarita Vihar Road / Underneath Modi Flour Mill flyover towards New Friends Colony / Mathura Road- Always near Haldiram Stretch / Noida-Ashram Toll Road.
The technique they adopt is that the Camera or Hand Held gun is atleast 400-500 M before the Patrol Part..! On Wireless the Offenders car details are given and the police guys stop the car ahead, Just incase he does not and they suspect something fishy- The Interceptor is put into chase...! I've seen this happen a couple of times as I live in Sarita Vihar..!

The only instance I remember of my dad speeding was once when I was in dubai I was hardly 10 years old..My Brother ( 5 years) and I were playing at the petrol pump fire bucket stand and it fell on him and took a nice cut just above his ear...Dad picked him and revved the Mercury Topaz at a fast pace that a cop car signalled to stop..on not stopping he was intercepted ahead and when the cops saw my injured brother he said " Now you follow me.."and with sirens blazing..We cut through traffic and reached Rashid Hospital in no time..If its a emergency you can speed your way just drive in control...Sometimes even doctors speed as they get informed of an emergency case...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 2nd June 2006 at 21:57.
Old 3rd June 2006, 03:14   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Is there any scientific study done on the speedlimits for a stretch of road or is it just the commonsense of the engineer and contractor that laid that road?
More often than not the speed limits depend on the neighborhood/surroundings that the road is in. If you in a residential area/school zone, you could have kids playing near the streets, and the limits consider the minimum reaction time. On highways the speed limits need to be different for cars and trucks. So if the contractor lays the world's best road through a school zone, the speed limit better be 25mph.
Old 3rd June 2006, 04:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

guys what say about radar detector available here in US for less than 5K? can this be fit to Indian vehicles?
Old 3rd June 2006, 04:51   #14
BHPian

In US, some people use radar detector and jammer for detecting and jamming the radar signal from the speed gun. There they have to pay around USD 300 fine for speeding.

In India also the people will follow the samething if the fine is high.
Old 3rd June 2006, 06:33   #15
BHPian

About radar detectors in US

Radar detectors range between 50-400 $ the basic one will detect speed guns + lazer guns, the mose sophisticated ones will detect (360 degree) and scramble/jam guns...

I have the detect + scramble radar detector it does an awesome job... i usually slow down if a gun is detected cause cops can pull you over if they think you are going to fast (they might not give you speeding ticket but will definately ticket you for some other voilation like rash driving or something). Radar detectors are not illegal in most states ... i think only 5 or 6 states have regulations against radar detectors in US

However in my experience its not as good for city use cause they pick up all sorts of rays (like microwave) and keeps beeping.

@Narashima_Raju: there is no set amount for fine, it all depends on what are you being ticketed for

I still get tickets cause there are soo many unmarked cop cars around!!!

Last edited by DaPilot : 3rd June 2006 at 06:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks