Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 09:25   #1
SAS
BHPian

ABS light stays on - Honda Civic

This Sunday, I was driving my civic and after a hard braking to avoid a car in the front, teh ABS check light is glowing on almost continuously now. Any idea what could be the issue? Also when i leave the car off for some time and then switch it on, the light goes off, but then after driving a few kms it comes on again.

I have a 2007 Civic V MT. Any ideas to what could be the problem and what are the solutions and costs I could be staring at?

Planning to give it to the honda service center this weekend, but it would be helpful to know beforehand. Also any recommendations for any Honda service center in Mumbai Western suburbs?
Old 11th July 2013, 09:38   #2
BHPian

re: ABS light stays on

I faced this problem twice. Once with my Verna and again with my Laura.
In both cases it was due to some loose connection in the ABS sensor cables.

You have to first run a check-up with a diagnostics machine at your service center which will show you the error codes. According to these codes you have to repair/replace the broken part.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:40   #3
BHPian

There can be followings reasons from my experience

1. Weak sensor from any of the wheel
2. Dirt on sensor that will require cleaning
3. Sensor gone kaput 100%

This brings check light. Individual wheel sensor can be changed then the error code is erased.

Incidentally I have seen no connection to the km run. Chevy gave me that light at 15k km and was replaced under warranty . Ford even after 52k km never gave up.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
This Sunday, I was driving my civic and after a hard braking to avoid a car in the front, teh ABS check light is glowing on almost continuously now. Any idea what could be the issue?
I have a 2007 Civic V MT. Any ideas to what could be the problem and what are the solutions and costs I could be staring at?
Hello SAS

There are 20 - 30 reasons why your ABS warning lamp could turn to 'continuously glowing' state. It could be something as simple as a loose coupler, dirt on the wheel speed sensor head or worst case, something inside the ABS HECU could have gone bust.

But since the lamp goes off once in a while, it does not seem to be an HECU failure. Please get it checked at Honda A.S.S. asap because as long as the lamp is ON, your ABS remains non-functional.

It is hardly a 5 minute job to connect the diagnostic tester and read out the malfunction code(s). Once you find the code, do update us here.

Thanks!
Old 17th July 2013, 20:33   #5
SAS
BHPian

Re: ABS light stays on

OK Guys

The car's back from service. I gave it to Solitaire Honda at Borivali, Mumbai. They did an ok job with the service.

The engine check light was due to loose wiring, as a few of you have correctly guessed it. Initially they used the diagnostic but the problem kept coming at high driving speeds. So they checked the wiring completely, used a contact cleaner and did the needful. They charged me Rs. 275+ ST for the diagnostics plus Rs. 55o+ST for the checkup of the wiring. I still need to take it for a long city drive, but for the time being things seem ok.

Do you guys think these charges are reasonable? This is over and above the regular charges of servicing the car of Rs. 1000. Do let me know your thoughts... Thanks guys!!
Old 12th January 2014, 16:03   #6
BHPian

Honda City Ivtec rear tire sensor gone - need help

I noticed the ABS light wasn't going off in my Oct'2010 city. Immediately took it to the service center where they diagnosed it to a faulty rear tire sensor issue. I told them to clean the sensor, delete the code and check again, to my dismay the light came back on and stayed. On enquiring about the price of the sensor was surprised to hear Rs. 6300 plus tax and labour. When the advisor saw a frown on my face he told me of any alternative that he could arrange one from me from the unofficial route for close to 2.5K. I came back and told them would return later to get it corrected after being told it's safe to drive the car like this. My questions are:
1. Is there anyway this sensor can be rectified?
2. Is 6300 the right price?
3. Any aftermarket alternatives available?
4. Possible reason for failure in a 30k Kms driven car (there is no underbody hit whatsoever)?
5. Is it safe to drive the car at all?

Look forward to your responses so that I can get the problem rectified ASAP.
Old 13th January 2014, 00:17   #7
BHPian

Re: Honda City Ivtec rear tire sensor gone - need help

With limited knowledge on the technical details, My first and foremost suggestion will be to go for a sensor from the authorised service station only. Since, it has to do with ABS taking undue risk for saving a few thousand rupees is not advisable.

Once you get a sensor from the authorised service centre, your peace of mind will be guaranted. While on the other hand the reliability of the after market sensor will always remain a gamble.
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 20:26   #8
BHPian

I am digging this old thread because my problem is related to ABS system

I have an A-Star AT 2012 model. Today I went for car wash and after that the ABS light came on. It stayed on for some 12-15 kms but when I restarted the car, the ABS light went away. I restarted the car twice more and it is not coming back.

Is there any problem?

I have to drive from Delhi to Haridwar on this Saturday. My plan is to drive the car to Noida for my office and back for around 80 kms. During this time I will check the ABS light but I just want opinion of experts here, should I call off the trip?
Old 13th March 2014, 20:37   #9
BANNED

ABS light stays on

The abs sensors might have some dirt on them or they might be out of position because of the car wash jet pressure.
If you have a qualified FNG then try that or the service centre.

You could also check it with VCDS (Ob2 ?)

EDIT: don't risk with bad brakes.
Old 13th March 2014, 20:45   #10
BHPian

I will see if the OBDII scanner tells me something. If something seems out of place tomorrow during drive to Noida and back, I will call off the trip.
Old 13th March 2014, 21:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Could be Rats as well. Last year a friend of mine faced similar issue for his Honda City iVTEC and when he took the car to the ASC in Pune, they diagnosed the fault to rats cutting ABS wiring.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:24   #12
BHPian

Re: ABS light stays on - Honda Civic

OK I drove the car in morning from my home to office for around 40 kms. The ABS light remained off. I also did an ECU fault check using OBDII scanner and Torque pro app and they did not return any fault code.

@ paragsachania I am pretty sure it can not be rats because before the car wash i had opened the hood and examined every wire (well almost every wire) and all seemed fine. Further I also examined the suspension and underbody of the car when it was raised on hydraulic lift including most nooks and cubby holes. Nothing ratty there.

I will be driving home from office for another 40 kms in evening and will have the OBDII scanner active all the time and will do a fault check before I leave and after I reach home. In the journy, if I get so much as a blink on ABS light, I will call off the Haridwar trip...
Old 14th March 2014, 11:37   #13
BANNED

Please get it checked. Also, I suggest you move to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-356.html where all such issues are discussed, and is a very active thread.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:55   #14
BHPian

@sgiitk, Now that you say it, I will get it check.

As for moving to the Civic thread, the catch is that the car is not Civic but A-star AT. I posted here because ABS lights were being discussed.
Old 14th March 2014, 14:47   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
@sgiitk, Now that you say it, I will get it check.

As for moving to the Civic thread, the catch is that the car is not Civic but A-star AT. I posted here because ABS lights were being discussed.
What is the title of the thread Re: ABS light stays on - Honda Civic

Most Viewed