Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 23:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
May be, all of us who have confirmed about this problem in this thread can catch up and go together to give some fight if needed.
Yes, depending on the number of people we can approach Skoda for resolution.

Quote:
Also, did anyone else try the Stop/Start Engine when this problem appears. It helped me many times.
I have not tried this option. Will try next time whenever I face the situation.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 16th July 2013 at 23:50.
Old 17th July 2013, 10:30   #17
BANNED

Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Now, my problem is that I experience occasionally lack of pickup and very bad engine noise even after 2-3 minutes idling after a cold start up. The noise is too bad so that it sometimes resembles to me like a mini tractor - of course a little exaggerated, but yes it is bad. Also, the car doesn't easily respond to accelerator at this time.
I have already posted Skoda's Advisory on this in a separate thread. Please take up the matter with your ASS for resolution of the issue.

Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-system.html
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 11:09   #18
v&v
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid Diesel: Cold start issues

Quote:
Thanks V&V! Do you know if System D has any long-term side effects? I normally go for a 50-60Km drive in the weekend and of course I come back home with a smile. Once it is warm, Rapid is like a Wild Horse!
I have been using it for more that 7-8 years now. Pretty happy with the result. Keeps the pump & injectors healthy.

There is a dedicated thread for the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...thread-31.html
Old 17th July 2013, 11:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine was manufactured on 29th of March to be precise - or may be more aptly that's the time they fixed the VIN number onto the car -

But, when it happens even the idling does not help. Also, did anyone else try the Stop/Start Engine when this problem appears. It helped me many times.
My car's VIN shows manufactured on 5th April 2012. I suspect the injectors/ software version of models before June 2012 need to be upgraded.
I am game if we want to go to Vinayak Skoda together and explain this problem. I am ok to go to their Okalipuram workshop.
Old 17th July 2013, 14:17   #20
BHPian

I too hear the engine misfiring just a little (for a few seconds maybe) after a cold start. But no other issues seen after a minute of warm-up. Just completed my 6 month checkup and apparently nothing was wrong according to the service center.
Old 17th July 2013, 14:33   #21
BHPian

I am curious here. Is that only with Rapid? Then why only Rapid and not Vento?

Is there something that Skoda could not figure out that VW did perfectly?

My experience on diesel with rough tractor idling tells me following reasons

1. Loose connection at the rail - first hand experience of intermittent connection. Feeling like it will die or next moment, but it doesn't die.

2. Issue with ECU Software hence inconsistent rpm at cold start

3. Fuel
Old 17th July 2013, 15:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I am curious here. Is that only with Rapid? Then why only Rapid and not Vento?
Is there something that Skoda could not figure out that VW did perfectly?
l
My Vento was May manufactured and i havent faced such issues, on cold starts the engine does make a loud clatter but that is normal with all VW 1.6 TDi's, havent faced sluggish pickup or engine jerking/missing. Dont think this issue is there in Vento but when all the parts are shared am clueless as to why only Rapid has this problem, even the brake disc juddering was specific to Rapid only.

My friend's Rapid is March manufactured but he never reported such behaviour, as Rajni pointed, maybe its only with APR batch.
Old 17th July 2013, 17:31   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Is that only with Rapid? Then why only Rapid and not Vento?
1. The Rapid and the Vento have different states of tune which is why there is (1) less turbo lag in the Rapid and (2) the spike that you get after 3K rpm in the Vento is not there with the Rapid.

2. As I said in the other thread, not all Rapid's have this issue - although mine falls into the relevant period I have not had any such issues.

3. The software updates will increase the injector fuel pressure which would sort out the problem.
Old 17th July 2013, 21:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
I have been using it for more that 7-8 years now. Pretty happy with the result. Keeps the pump & injectors healthy.
Thank you! I will definitely keep this in mind. But, since this problem sounds more like a common issue with the Software, I will try to get that resolved first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
3. The software updates will increase the injector fuel pressure which would sort out the problem.
Thanks VeyronSuperSprt. I am planning to make a visit to the ASS in this weekend with printouts of all those pdf's. Hope I can convince them this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
My car's VIN shows manufactured on 5th April 2012. I suspect the injectors/ software version of models before June 2012 need to be upgraded.
I am game if we want to go to Vinayak Skoda together and explain this problem. I am ok to go to their Okalipuram workshop.
I too believe that is exactly is the problem. I will call up Vinayak (Near Garden City College, Old Madras Road) and try to get an appointment for Saturday first half. If there's any other suggestion let me know. My car was bought from Tafe but I did the service at Vinayak and thought would just go to them.
rajni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 22:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

1. The Rapid and the Vento have different states of tune which is why there is (1) less turbo lag in the Rapid and (2) the spike that you get after 3K rpm in the Vento is not there with the Rapid.
I haven't driven rapid but yes have driven Vento. I not quite sure about the 3K rpm.

Also the software which was on older version, should ideally not create issue as the older version when was new should have been good then for the same motor and setup. It's not the correct approach to just increase the state of tune and not the software. I find it illogical or utterly irresponsible.

I may be wrong but apply some common sense and the answer lies within.
Old 18th July 2013, 10:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I will definitely keep this in mind. But, since this problem sounds more like a common issue with the Software, I will try to get that resolved first.

I too believe that is exactly is the problem. I will call up Vinayak (Near Garden City College, Old Madras Road) and try to get an appointment for Saturday first half. If there's any other suggestion let me know. My car was bought from Tafe but I did the service at Vinayak and thought would just go to them.
Hi Rajni,
I am working on Saturdays, so may not be able to make it. Do let us know the outcome after your visit. I can use that as an example to get them to resolve my issue too. Nowadays in the morning, this issue tends to vanish after 2-5 minutes.
Old 18th July 2013, 22:11   #27
BHPian

I have got an appointment with Vinayak Škoda for Saturday (Jul 20, 2013) morning. If anyone else wants to join me feel free to send a PM to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hi Rajni,
I am working on Saturdays, so may not be able to make it. Do let us know the outcome after your visit. I can use that as an example to get them to resolve my issue too. Nowadays in the morning, this issue tends to vanish after 2-5 minutes.
I am sorry friend. I didn't notice this before booking the slot. I will keep you posted of the progress after my visit.
Old 18th July 2013, 22:46   #28
BHPian

If issue is only at cold start, I see that you may not be able to replicate the issue when you will reach service centre. If possible you can leave the car at service centre an evening before so that cold start will be done at the service centre in your presence.

Alternately you can call for advisor visit to your residence to replicate the problem.
Old 19th July 2013, 12:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I have got an appointment with Vinayak Škoda for Saturday (Jul 20, 2013) morning. If anyone else wants to join me feel free to send a PM to me.
What time tomorrow? I will try to accompany you. However I have to go see some house for rent.

You are going to Oklipuram service center right?
Old 21st July 2013, 10:57   #30
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Diesel: Cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
What time tomorrow? I will try to accompany you. However I have to go see some house for rent.

You are going to Oklipuram service center right?

I couldn't make it with 500ContyCruiser. But, we both went to two different Vinayaka Centers on the same day. From our telephonic discussion, the service center had confirmed that 500ContyCruiser's car has the latest Software. So, it could be the rainy season that plays the Villain, per the SA . Despite booking an appointment with exact reason 3 days before I wasn't able to get it done on Saturday. I was able to convince the SA by showing a Video I shot on my mobile just before going to the station and also the printouts of the Škoda Advisories shared by VeyronSuperSprt earlier in this thread. Well, they didn't upgrade the Software saying that the internet was down and they need it for the Software update. I figured it was mostly because of a busy weekend. I have finally requested them to pick up my car on Monday morning from my office. Hopefully, that will work out. I really didn't want to leave my car at the Service Station overnight as I had bad experiences previously. Will keep you all posted.

Most Viewed