Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 18:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Diesel: Cold start issues

Hi Rajni. Any update post the Monday visit?
Old 24th July 2013, 22:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hi Rajni. Any update post the Monday visit?
No pickup happened on Monday as they promised. As always - Thanks to the Skoda After Sales support . I needed the car yesterday and today for some family purpose and I didn't mind to call them. Need to follow up again tomorrow.
Old 4th August 2013, 00:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

I tried the same trick of turning off the ignition and then restarting the car when I faced the dragging issue. The sluggishness and the grinding engine sound vanished.

Were you able to have it rectified?
Old 5th August 2013, 23:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I tried the same trick of turning off the ignition and then restarting the car when I faced the dragging issue. The sluggishness and the grinding engine sound vanished.

Were you able to have it rectified?
Not yet! It seems Vinayak has been facing some issues with Software Upgrades. No details given. I am following up with them on and off.

By the way, good to hear that the restart works around your problem also. What I can think about is the glow plug heating up every time the ignition is turned on and the oil getting pumped again is resolving the problem. That's from my limited mechanical knowledge. Correct me if I am wrong .
Old 6th August 2013, 02:13   #35
BHPian

My car has run 15000+ km and will complete a year in 4 days. (July manufactured car)

The car sits in a garage followed immediately by a ramp, this causes problems when cold.

For me it seems to be a throttle response problem more than a power problem as if I give it more throttle before the ramp it seems to be fine.

Throttle response improves as the engine warms up and at higher rpm when cold.

In the recent Ooty team-bhp drive I faced a weird problem of the Rapid not going into lower idle!

Usually when you come to a stop the idle rpm goes to 700, when you start moving again it will settle at 1000 rpm.

It was always at 1000 rpm at Ooty, only after we came down the hill did it go into lower idle again.

The only possible explanation I could think off was the engine could never warm up as the coolant temperature did not go above 60 deg C while in Ooty.

Values came from obd-2 Adapter plus torque app.

It typically sits at 96/97 deg C.

I have also noticed that this engine does not warm up when sitting at idle, needs to be driven to warm up.

I don't think the problem is anything to worry about if the engine performs normally when warmed up.

But if you find out anything else please do let us know!
Old 6th August 2013, 10:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
By the way, good to hear that the restart works around your problem also. What I can think about is the glow plug heating up every time the ignition is turned on and the oil getting pumped again is resolving the problem. That's from my limited mechanical knowledge. Correct me if I am wrong .
Could be. I'm not an expert myself. What I could observe is that this happens only during the first start in the morning. During the day, it seems alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
My car has run 15000+ km and will complete a year in 4 days. (July manufactured car)
In the recent Ooty team-bhp drive I faced a weird problem of the Rapid not going into lower idle!

It was always at 1000 rpm at Ooty, only after we came down the hill did it go into lower idle again.

But if you find out anything else please do let us know!
I faced the exact thing when I went to Ooty last year. The engine RPM was always on the higher side around 1000 rpm even during idle. I think the high altitude and cold climate has something to contribute.
Its just an irritant that the car is sluggish in the morning for a few minutes. Not a deal breaker for this otherwise lovely car.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 10:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is normal Nothing to worry.

Happens with my Polo as well. The car usually doesn't pick up and always happens when in second gear. Completely normal.

My car was inspected by VW team for this and they have assured me that It is normal.

My car has done 1.40 lac KM. You guy would be amazed by its pick up and how silent the engine as become.

My car is usually shown to new customers when in for services. I TD'ed a new polo and the pick was not even close to mine. I am have my car services at 14.5k max or 2 months.

BTW you guys know VW engine consume a little oil and have a little blow back even if in 100% health.

Quote:
I faced the exact thing when I went to Ooty last year. The engine RPM was always on the higher side around 1000 rpm even during idle. I think the high altitude and cold climate has something to contribute.
Its just an irritant that the car is sluggish in the morning for a few minutes. Not a deal breaker for this otherwise lovely car.
Its not a problem but its designed that way.

When its very clod in Chandigarh around 1-2 C the RPM is around 1200. Its normal. Even when i visit Shimla during these day the RPM is a little high

Last edited by manikjeet : 6th August 2013 at 11:06.
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 11:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
It could also be that the ECU is applying different ignition maps when the engine temperature is warm. I do get this problem in my Verna as well. It goes off after I switch off and switch on or if I idle it for longer times (say 5 mins; happens when I try to clean something or load something into the car)
Old 18th August 2013, 14:13   #39
BHPian

Quote:

I just came back from Ooty after a two nights trip. I too experienced the same. Should be something to do with the temperature or altitude.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:20   #40
BHPian

Friends VW and Skoda are same and have same issues in models. the issue with rapid and polo is the same. The culprit is the ECU. VW has many updates to ecu for correcting the issues, i dont know if rapid is given ecu updates to solve the issues described by the user. why this big company cant solve this issue. my friends polo has the same issue and he has now learned to live with it.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:44   #41
BHPian

I think is all got to do with the engine oil temperature and not water temperature. the higher engine idle speed is due to colder hence thinker engine oil, so the engine is compensating for that to increase low end torque to overcome inertia. I don't know if I'm right, its just a hunch.
Old 28th August 2013, 18:28   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post

Quote:

I faced the exact thing when I went to Ooty last year. The engine RPM was always on the higher side around 1000 rpm even during idle.
Quote:
I just came back from Ooty after a two nights trip. I too experienced the same. Should be something to do with the temperature or altitude.
Hi guys, this is perfectly normal and the way it should be. You would have a problem if the idle didn't increase. This happens in most cars when the ambient temperature is lower than usual.

So enjoy your car and happy motoring!

Btw guys get that software update done - the engine is smoother, quieter (lower NVH) and the pickup has slightly increased too.
Old 31st August 2013, 00:48   #43
BHPian

Finally, after a long waiting, I was able to get the Software upgrade done today at the KR Puram Service station of Vinayak Škoda. I had discussed with Prem (SA) about this a few times in the past couple weeks. Thanks to sankar.balan who referred me to Prem.

Today, I sent my vehicle for General checkup and added Software Upgrade and couple of other minor things in the Service request. I picked up the vehicle in the evening and - I know it is too early to comment but - looks like the car is now a bit smoother and NVH lower as VeyronSuperSprt has claimed. It can be also because the car was already warm and that they have lubricated the machinery parts. Well, I will observe it for two or three days and let you all know.

I had a question in mind whether the Software Upgrade would impact the FE as it is all about improving Fuel injection (at lower RPM). But, Prem answered that it shouldn't. I would give it a few days before reaching into conclusion.

Last edited by rajni : 31st August 2013 at 00:54.
rajni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 00:57   #44
BHPian

Mine is due for servicing (30k mark). Thinking where to give, as I haven moved near Hebbal.

How far is K R Puram Skoda service center is from bridge?
Old 1st September 2013, 13:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Mine is due for servicing (30k mark). Thinking where to give, as I haven moved near Hebbal.

How far is K R Puram Skoda service center is from bridge?
Please find the road map here - http://goo.gl/maps/vFfFS
rajni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks