Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2006, 09:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Query about Maruti's power windows

Dudes,

My pal has a 2nd hand Esteem (2002 model). His passenger side power windows are extremely sluggish. When I pointed out this to him , he says his mechanic told him that all Maruti power windows become like this in 2-3 yrs!

Is that right? Or has my pal got gypped?!
Old 3rd June 2006, 10:50   #2
BHPian

what ur mechanic says is absolutely true even my bro's esteem limited edition is suffering with the same trauma u have to use your hands with the motor to get the glass up . and one of the rear window just got stuck .....the only thing left to do was to change all the four motors.
Old 3rd June 2006, 11:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

garvit2002,

Thanks for the confirmation of the problem. However its not my car - its my pal's ! I just bought a new Swift last week
Old 3rd June 2006, 13:16   #4
BHPian

I have noticed this problem with my other 3 esteems which do duty in the tourist sector.

I have noticed that this problem of sluggish movement of power windows especially in the Esteems occurs mostly during monsoons.

I bought myself a new esteem vxi early this year. And i fear the same fate for this car as well.

Guys could you give a solution to this problem of jamming or sluggish movement of power windows in the Esteem especially during monsoons. My car is parked in the open and i do not have access to stilt parking in my premises. At most i can is just cover the car with a body-cover. Please give me a solution to this since i don't want this problem for my baby
Old 3rd June 2006, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
garvit2002,

Thanks for the confirmation of the problem. However its not my car - its my pal's ! I just bought a new Swift last week
Hey watch out! dont think new cars will not have that problem.My friends SWIFT ZXi has got some problems with the rear power windows!!!!
Old 3rd June 2006, 15:28   #6
BHPian

hey guys just try this if it work
on the door side inside below glass remove the panel which is secured by a couple of screws, once done, be gentle as u lift this side panel as it will be holding some wires which is connected to the switches and the cable runs thru the door.
now u will be able to see the metal sleeve which holds the glass thru which it slides.
Spray WD40 in this metal sleeve, clean the grime thats colected. also make sure if the glass is not getting stuck kind of in the sleeve, if it does then just make some room in the sleeve with a screwdriver (widen a bit - if u do too much then the glass will vibrate when driving).
now check the movement of glass using the up / down buttons.

ive done this on my car here in gulf. Problem is that the glass exterior collects dust (here its sand) and when not cleaned and the windows run down this sand which keeps accumulating in the sleeve and makes the motor work harder.
hope it helps.
Old 3rd June 2006, 17:47   #7
BHPian

I have the same problem in my Zen VXi too (only the front passenger side). No amount of tweaking worked during last six years... probably something's common between Zen and Esteem...
Old 3rd June 2006, 21:08   #8
BHPian

This seems to be a design / build flaw in the Esteem...

My Esteem's front power windows have been giving problems since the day I picked up the car (2nd hand).

The driver's front window was the first to go. It used to go down fine, but would start slowing down as it moved upwards and finally stop about 1/3 the way up. If I allowed the motor to cool down (1 - 2 mins) then it would move up a few inches more... if I repeated the cycle with 1 - 2 min rest stops, it would actually go up all the way unassisted.

A smart mechanic I know in Thane fixed the problem by cutting off the capacitor that sits between the two incoming wires inside the motor and running wires from the outside directly to the commutator. It seems that with age, the resistance of the wires increases and the capacitor starts "leaking"... this prevents adequate power from getting to the motor and hence the slow / stuck problem.

A couple of weeks later the front passenger window started acting up. Tried the same thing, but this time it didn't work so well. The problem was diagnosed as warped channels... but few are willing to touch these and NOBODY is willing to gurantee the work. The combination of aging motors and channels and the Esteem's power widow notoriety seems to scare all mechanics! The guys at a MASS attempted to fix the problem by throwing money at it (replace everything!) ... but they didn't have the winders in stock (as if I was going to pay the quoted 6k for one of those!) ... so they just replaced the channels and tried to bill me for it without fixing the problem... they also ruined the tint on the glass on that particular window... needless to say, I didn't pay them for the botched job, told 'em to put back my original channels (which look to be in perfect condition) and have lived with the "slow" window for the last 6 months.

I think that the motors are to blame... they seem to be too weak for the task and have qustionable reliability. I plan to try to route more current to the faulty motor via a 2 way relay and thick cables running straight from the battery. If that doesn't do the job, then, I'll get the motor rewound, with a thicker guage wire, if possible.

- T u r b o C -
Old 5th June 2006, 18:51   #9
BHPian

I have the same problem on my 2001 Esteem -- Still looking for an alternative.
Will fitting a after market Power window kit resolve the problem ??
Old 6th June 2006, 07:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
I plan to try to route more current to the faulty motor via a 2 way relay and thick cables running straight from the battery. If that doesn't do the job, then, I'll get the motor rewound, with a thicker guage wire, if possible.
Hey Turbo c,

Just be careful (fuses), because as there is more load put on the motor, the more current it will draw. So if your channels or window mechanism causes a lot of resistance, theres a chance that the motor & wires will get dangerously hot.

cya
R
Old 6th June 2006, 08:56   #11
ECM
BHPian

Yupe esteem has this fault in its glass channel design and it is visible speciailly during reain season.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:19   #12
BHPian

U guys talkin bout the esteem.....The baleno has the same problem .....The probem is with the holders....Until now i was resorting the same thoing wht 2fast4u said....just before a drive i would spray wd40 on the sides...it would werk for tht day but once it dried up...same thing...
Spectra motors said replace the holders...price 2k per window...A whopping 8k for all 4....
i told the guy i's rather keep the windows rolled up....
finally went to a local mechanic serviced the motors and cut the extra rubbers which causing friction with the glass....the vertical ones tht is...
its slo now but does roll up and down...

Last edited by Rtech : 6th June 2006 at 12:21.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:24   #13
BHPian

I wish there was a worthwhile and safe solution to the Esteem's power windows from fouling during rains.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:38   #14
BHPian

Everyone might have tried this alredy, still

Try rolling up one window at a time- with the engine running at 2000+ rpm. If this plan is not working out, try what is suggested by 2fast4u.

I think it is more to do with friction than the motor being under powered. A more powerful motor load might be too much for the car to handle.
Old 6th June 2006, 12:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

not only the esteem ...even the zen PW 's have this problem ...if you regularly say once in 6 months get the pw's lubricated you wont face this problem ...

your friends LHS window has this problem as he would be using his side PW regularly as a result of which the lubrication happends frequently whenever the windows slide up and dpwn ..the passenger side window is used only when someone sits there ...as its not used that frequently it tends to slow down due to dust and other foriegn particles that get accumulated

Most Viewed