Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 17:42   #1
BANNED

Waterless Coolant For Cars - Does it really work?

Hi everyone

Came across waterless coolant used for cars in Wheelers Dealers show on discovery Turbo.

Googled the same and found Evans water based coolant site. All things seem positive i.e higher boiling point, no corrosion effects on engine and associated components, can be used for life time of the car i.e no changing required etc etc.

Is this available in India?? Never saw one in any car parts shop.
If it is so good why not used as O.E.M?

The Gurus on T Bhp please shed some light on this..
Thanks

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2013 at 15:35. Reason: Adding some line spacing for readability. Thanks
norhog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 20:17   #2
BANNED

re: Waterless Coolant For Cars - Does it really work?

There is a lot of new stuff that comes into the Market now and then and quite often they also disappear after sometime. A few years ago there was an engine oil additive Nulon which has now disappeared from the scene. It was extensively advertised at that time. I have lost the engine bearings of my Gypsy at that time within a few kilometres of changing its engine oil and adding Nulon along with the oil. So much for that experience. Anyway, moral to that story is that there will always be a risk associated with new products that haven't been extensively tested, especially by automotive manufacturers. You may also find yourself pleasantly surprised if all goes well. But if you'd like advice, as of now it's early days so it's best to stay away until it becomes a proven product.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 21:08   #3
BHPian

Completely agree with Veyron ^^^

If it is really good, rest assured, they will get several OE deals and new cars might use this instead of the current water based coolants. But until it's recommended by your manufacturer, you should refrain from putting it in your car.
Old 28th July 2013, 02:01   #4
BANNED

http://www.evanscoolants.com

I have given the link to the particular website. Please check it out.
Also would like to add it was recommended for old car engines which are prone to overheating.

Last edited by norhog : 28th July 2013 at 02:06. Reason: Wrong internet address
Old 28th July 2013, 02:52   #5
BHPian

You could ask Service centers if they have any idea about it in cars and how it sustains in the long run.!
Old 28th July 2013, 03:29   #6
BHPian

Several of my cars use liquid oil, as well as nitrogen, oxygen and argon gases as coolant - they work great and the system is much simpler!
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 10:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
http://www.evanscoolants.com

I have given the link to the particular website. Please check it out.
Also would like to add it was recommended for old car engines which are prone to overheating.
I saw that bit too. I more or less trust China's choices on what he deems fit to plonk in his cars. I was planning to get this for my fiesta, but then dropped it due to the time it was going to take for someone to get it to India for me.
Having suffered from leaks in my cars aged cooling system due to high pressure, the logic sounds impeccable, and I will be using this at a later date.

This may not make it as OE owing to the fact that it's about 4-5 times more expensive.
Old 28th July 2013, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Water is still the best and cheapest coolant. There are a lot of other liquids used as coolants
. Water with a lot of additives - raise the boiling point
. Oils - raise the boiling point but require higher pressures
. Sodium used in nuclear reactors - have extremely high boiling point and thermal transfer characteristics but requires a high pressure closed system

In general for low pressure systems and minimal costs nothing beats plain old water in cost and convenience. Modern cooling systems use additives and closed systems with moderate pressure, so that the boiling point is raised and cooling more efficient. All alternative systems are extremely expensive and barring high performance engines not worth the cost.
Old 28th July 2013, 16:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I was planning to get this for my fiesta, but then dropped it due to the time it was going to take for someone to get it to India for me.
The "water-less" coolant from Evans is available here in India through "Savita Oil Technologies Ltd" in Mumbai.

Had emailed them a few weeks ago for the prices & this is the information I got:

A) Evans Power Sport Coolant - Pack Size 1.9 L - Rs. 1,244.5 (Per Pack) - Rs. 2,270 (MRP)

B) Evans Prep Fluid - Pack Size 3.8 L - Rs. 1,800 (MRP)

Sales-Tax is 12.5 % & Transportation charges at actuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Water is still the best and cheapest coolant. In general for low pressure systems and minimal costs nothing beats plain old water in cost and convenience. Modern cooling systems use additives and closed systems with moderate pressure, so that the boiling point is raised and cooling more efficient. All alternative systems are extremely expensive and barring high performance engines not worth the cost.
True, but the issue with water is that in an iron block it causes rust - this new water-less coolant supposedly prevents that & lasts the life of the engine
im_srini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 19:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
True, but the issue with water is that in an iron block it causes rust - this new water-less coolant supposedly prevents that & lasts the life of the engine
Rusting of block is the least of worries. I have yet to see a block rusting to the extend that is to be replaced. With proper additives (as in recommended coolant fluid) rust is inhibited. Have you ever heard of a Vintage Car whose block is ruined due to rust? Except in cases where the car is left for decades in the open it does not happen.

What is more irritating to us motorists are the leaks in the coolant system - hoses, radiator and all the joints. I doubt that this miracle fluid can prevent these. If not then instead of loosing water you will be loosing expensive fluid.

That is why it is better to regularly undertake inspection and preventive maintenance. At least you will be checking the system regularly and not wake up one day to find your engine seized due to coolant loss.
Old 28th July 2013, 20:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Water is still the best and cheapest coolant. There are a lot of other liquids used as coolants
. Water with a lot of additives - raise the boiling point
. Oils - raise the boiling point but require higher pressures
. Sodium used in nuclear reactors - have extremely high boiling point and thermal transfer characteristics but requires a high pressure closed system

In general for low pressure systems and minimal costs nothing beats plain old water in cost and convenience. Modern cooling systems use additives and closed systems with moderate pressure, so that the boiling point is raised and cooling more efficient. All alternative systems are extremely expensive and barring high performance engines not worth the cost.

My alternative system, using nitrogen, oxygen and argon gases with oil as the coolant inside the engine, is free.

You change the engine oil as in any other engine and the gaseous coolant is air, so no need for complications of a water radiator, many hoses, pump(s), thermostats or all the problems they can bring. This inherent reliability as well as the lighter weight is the reason most aircraft with engines under 400hp use air cooled units. They are usually horizontally-opposed, for smooth running.
Old 28th July 2013, 20:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
My alternative system, using nitrogen, oxygen and argon gases with oil as the coolant inside the engine, is free.

You change the engine oil as in any other engine and the gaseous coolant is air, so no need for complications of a water radiator, many hoses, pump(s), thermostats or all the problems they can bring. This inherent reliability as well as the lighter weight is the reason most aircraft with engines under 400hp use air cooled units. They are usually horizontally-opposed, for smooth running.
You still need a heat exchanger (radiator) to cool the oil that has been heated in the engine.

Yes in air cooled engines you do not need the cooling system, as seen in VW beetle and in most of our motor cycles. Even tanks use air cooled engines. But water cooling with radiator is more efficient and makes the engine compact, hence its wide use.
Old 28th July 2013, 21:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Water less coolant sounds good - from corrosion point of view. However, in case of an emergency (e.g. coolant leak during a drive), can water be used for top-up? If not, what's the contingency plan?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 21:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
You still need a heat exchanger (radiator) to cool the oil that has been heated in the engine.

Yes in air cooled engines you do not need the cooling system, as seen in VW beetle and in most of our motor cycles. Even tanks use air cooled engines. But water cooling with radiator is more efficient and makes the engine compact, hence its wide use.
Many water cooled cars have oil cooler radiators/heat-exchangers also.

I'm interested in how you see a larger, heavier engine which takes longer to warm up and has many more parts to fail as one which is more efficient.

It is EU legislation on noise and emissions which has killed the air-cooled car, not the fact that a massive radiator, metres of hose, a water pump etc. make the engine more compact.
Old 28th July 2013, 22:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks like that is the only company that makes. Something fishy here eh!!

Reviving bit of thermodynamic classes of my high school days here. Cooling properties is determined by its heat capacity of any substance. Higher the heat capacity better the cooling properties.

SO if you go through here water has best of everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal...eat_capacities

only better chemical substance better than water is Ammonia and Hydrogen and few other impractical things in solid forms.

Ammonia is corrosive and Hydrogen is highly unstable. So what they are putting in that is a mystery.

without any lab test, it will only be a glorified water that cost over Rs.1000 a liter.

I think i will pass.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed