Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Dashboard / Instrument Cluster Warning Lights - What Each Symbol Means!

Thanks for sharing, it was extremely informative.

A few months ago I remember someone showing me some notification in their car and asking me if I knew what it was. I didn't. But hopefully next time around i'll be better informed.
Old 27th August 2013, 01:17   #17
djs
BHPian

This is really good. My wife is about to give her Driving test & I enjoyed quizzing her on these even though i knew nobody is going to ask her about this.

Slightly off topic, I wonder If we have a written test for Driving License anywhere in India. In any case, its high time to start one.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
This is really good. My wife is about to give her Driving test & I enjoyed quizzing her on these even though i knew nobody is going to ask her about this.

Slightly off topic, I wonder If we have a written test for Driving License anywhere in India. In any case, its high time to start one.

Thanks for sharing.
Spot on, a driving test is much needed however the way our country and its organizations are run, the "test" will eventually become a mockery like many other things !
Old 27th August 2013, 15:43   #19
djs
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Spot on, a driving test is much needed however the way our country and its organizations are run, the "test" will eventually become a mockery like many other things !
Sadly, whatever you said is true. I read in some other threads that sometimes RTO officers do take written test if applicant is not from some "affiliated" driving school. As everybody knows, licence & registration racket runs big.
But in any case, system needs to improve and in this age, its not that difficult to setup 10-15 PC's connected to a network with online testing facilities in each of RTO offices. At some point of time, it will happen as infrastructure required to do so itself is a big lure for money making for decision makers . I wonder why nobody has thought about it, pun intended.

I remember giving one in US in 2006, i had to read a 100-150 page booklet and online test was with visual animations, few questions on "right of way" etc. That was followed by a 4-5 miles of driving, changing lanes, parallel parking, curbside parking etc. Points scored on both written and practical amounted to the total score. Of course, everything was done with prior appointments.

I think getting the driving license must be made harder, and this is the only way we can educate ourselves on lane driving and have some road sense.
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
I remember giving one in US in 2006, i had to read a 100-150 page booklet and online test was with visual animations, few questions on "right of way" etc. That was followed by a 4-5 miles of driving, changing lanes, parallel parking, curbside parking etc. Points scored on both written and practical amounted to the total score. Of course, everything was done with prior appointments.
Slightly off topic however worth mentioning -

Well in our country just ask any driver what "right of way" is? You will be left with a staring blank face and a sheepish grin OR with an answer "I flashed my light/honked so i go first"

Parking test in my opinion Should be made mandatory, you can clearly see the way people abuse the parking space in Bangalore!

Last edited by sumathindra : 3rd September 2013 at 18:23. Reason: edits
Old 6th September 2013, 02:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Slightly off topic however worth mentioning -

Well in our country just ask any driver what "right of way" is? You will be left with a staring blank face and a sheepish grin OR with an answer "I flashed my light/honked so i go first"

Parking test in my opinion Should be made mandatory, you can clearly see the way people abuse the parking space in Bangalore!
And somewhere I feel that the way these driving tests are conducted or rather the purpose of them is just to get the smart card with the DL # on it to any Tom/Dick/Harry who applies for it. Why i say so, I have seen people
a) On Bikes, without a single rear view mirror
b) In cars with their rear mirrors folded.
c) Checking of blind spot while changing Lanes which nobody does - Well tell me if I am fortunate or what, I learnt my driving in US, where there is a big stress on checking your blind spot. Especially while changing lanes in High Speed traffic. There is no concept of blind spot in India. I had taken a driving lesson here, and was never taught anything of that sort
d) Jumping red signals, if no other vehicles are crossing.

If I start listing down, there would be a plethora of such idiotic things that i see everyday on the road. These small small things go a very long way to keep the driver. the car as well as his fellow commuters safe. This basic sense of sanity is what the driving tests and schools need to instill in the new potential drivers. But i dont think any of the RTOs or driving schools bother, which is what is painful. I feel more than drunk driving, these small things cause more accidents.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbdcoe View Post
If I start listing down, there would be a plethora of such idiotic things that i see everyday on the road. These small small things go a very long way to keep the driver. the car as well as his fellow commuters safe. This basic sense of sanity is what the driving tests and schools need to instill in the new potential drivers.
Well said. In my opinion law enforcement should become a task in itself. Our country has low but no order. How many people owning car's even know what the basic rule of driving are? Education is of paramount importance!
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

I couldn't help but share this image of the instrument cluster inside the Force One SUV:

Dashboard / Instrument Cluster Warning Lights - What Each Symbol Means!-forceonefdrive_5_560x420.jpg

What in the world!

Image courtesy: Zigwheels
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 20:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

My God. That first picture gives me a headache. Is that a real dashboard?
Old 3rd January 2014, 20:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I couldn't help but share this image of the instrument cluster inside the Force One SUV:

Attachment 1186365

What in the world!

Image courtesy: Zigwheels
Either the Aria, or the XUV or both have a similar set of warning lamps. They could have avoided some lamps in the force one, by using a common lamp for parking brake, brake fluid and brake warning. Similarly for engine oil there are two. For the 4WD system also they have many warning lights, which will only add to the confusion. Instead they can give a simple LCD monochrome screen that can flash a message which is easier to read and interpret.
Old 14th September 2015, 14:26   #26
BANNED

I have the engine/emission warning light staying on the dashboard in my 2013 Dzire VDI. The first time this cropped up, I took it to the MASS, and they scanned the error and deleted it saying nothing to worry. It did not pop up for around 400kms after that. Now, it is back on, I intend to take it with the MASS again, but want to understand what needs to be checked so that I can convey to them accordingly.
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:49   #27
BHPian

Re: odometer cluster malfunction in xylo E6

I have a xylo E6. Recently it has developed a problem of lights blinking continuously after starting the vehicle .
1. odometer display /reading blinks
2. fuel light blinks
3. temperature light blinks
the vehicle otherwise functions normally.
The mahindra authorized service station G3 Motors at Nerul have not been able to identify the problem.
Has anybody experienced this?
Old 5th October 2016, 23:47   #28
BHPian

Hi got an experienced mechanic in Turbhe to check the errors. He opened the cluster and tinkered around some and put the meter back . The blinking was gone . But after driving around a bit the coolant temperature and fuel light would come on briefly and vanish. At that instant the gauge arms would drop to zero and come back to normal when the two lights would go away. After driving around some I realised the same lights would come on gear shifts and then go away. The cluster is definitely malfunctioning . I hope there is no more to it. Rest of the wiring , all earthing points checked and ok. And car behaving normally.
Old 19th April 2017, 21:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Please advise what the highlighted sensor is for and what all situations are there when it might come up (Orange / Red)

Dashboard / Instrument Cluster Warning Lights - What Each Symbol Means!-kwid.jpg
Old 20th April 2017, 00:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Please advise what the highlighted sensor is for and what all situations are there when it might come up (Orange / Red)

Attachment 1631094
Not sure, but if I have to take a stab at it: Catalytic convertor

http://dashboardsymbols.com/the-symbols/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks