Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 16:19   #46
BHPian

re: Why no cars with front seats that can accommodate 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If a stationary vehicle was hit from behind, wouldn't a rear crumple zone be necessary to prevent injuries? In this case people would be thrown backwards due to the inertia of their bodies and the vehicle being pushed ahead. You would need not only rear crumple zones but also good headrests to prevent neck injuries in this case.
If a stationary vehicle is hit by another vehicle from the rear, the crumple zone of the rear vehicle would help reduce the impact... although there is a possibility that you can get hit by a heavy vehicle like an Ashok Leyland truck (in that case, I would still opt for a sturdier vehicle body over a crumple zone because there is little that can be done to stop such a heavy vehicle especially if it is loaded).

A headrest is essential but cars in just about every segment of cars sold in India seem to have head rests that do not have any adjustment other than a height adjustment so are uncomfortable to use. Unless I'm asleep, I don't use them. They do offer protection in the event of a rear collision, but they are more effective when people use them during a normal drive. I mean would leaving out an adjustable head rest cause any significant increase in the cost of the vehicle when they can provide a 5-point electric seat adjustment?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks